Elmo is Unemployed

Okay so maybe Elmo can keep his job but lots of public broadcasting stations around the country are going to shut down as a result of this proposed cut to the budget supporting public broadcasting, that means NPR and PBS (home to Elmo and his Sesame Street gang). The house subcommittee voted on this with little ado or public comment. As a result, it has been placed on the docket for full vote in the next week or so, again with little or no publicity.
    The stations are asking that people contact their congressmen and let them know that you stand up for public broadcasting. If for no other reason than to give public broadcasting a chance to react. If enacted, stations like WMFE in Orlando will lose $200,000 on this year's budget. Even if you disagree that the government should be funding these stations, you have to agree that no notice is going to destroy their ability to operate.

To read more: http://www.wmfe.org/federalfunding.asp my local station, but check your own out.

Chris Mayr
    When amassed, even dust can become a mountain.

There is a finite amount of intelligence but an infinite amount of stupidity in the universe

already wrote in, thanks for the heads-up. My 2 year-old lives, eats and breathes Elmo and Thomas, both on PBS here in Ft. Lauderdale.

This is one of the things I love about the net, community, exchange of information yadda yadda.

Danay

3. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread