Search for products by keyword Not Working...
    Hi all...

I'm not sure if anyone else is experiencing this but at least 50% of the time (actually probably more than that) that I try to build a link in CJ by utilizing the "search for individual products by keyword" feature it doesn't work at all - it comes back with "Sorry, No Results Found" regardless of what keywords I search on and I know that these products are on the affiliates website. I've especially noticed this with Buy.com and CompUSA.com. Right now I'm trying to build some links for Buy.com and I've tried keyword after keyword and nothing comes up at all. It's like the database is completely empty or something.

I know that LinkShare has its fair share of problems but at least with them I was able to make direct links with Buy.com. Since they moved to CJ I’ve had to stop promoting them like I used to because I can't do any direct links to their products.

Anyone else experiencing a similar problem?

TIA

access to specific products in the CJ Product Catalog pages is definitely not intuitive. a letter off and you're getting nothing in the return.

i have had to go to the merchant's own site and find what the name of a gadget was sometimes in order to search properly.

the problem apparently stems from the time the product is named on the database entry form. there is no separate place in the database to show a broader category. so you have to be a mind reader and try to intuit what words might appear in the name of an object.

Hey Herb... Thanks for replying. I understand what you mean by it not being intuitive but I think what I'm experiencing right now goes beyond those normal little nuances. I can do a one word keyword search on say Sony for Buy.com and not one thing will show up in the search results and there are literally thousands of Sony products on Buy.com.

Just the other day the Keyword Search tool was working properly for me and I made several direct links for Buy.com, now if I try to do a search for those exact same keywords nothing shows up. It's like it just isn't working at all now. It seems to go in and out, one day it will work and then a day or so later it won't work at all.

Needless to say this is very frustrating and is starting to become a waste of my time. I take the time to search around for good deals and then I can't link to them.

Thanks again for your reply...

DreamStruck,

You really don't need to be able to create your links at CJ. All you need is ONE good product link, and then you can close up CJ, and work on your own. Here is what I mean.

I went to buy.com and did a search on SONY.

The first product link is for Sony MDR-EX71SL Ear Bud Headphones.
    The URL is
    ...buy.com/retail/product.asp?sku=90121727

If you GET HTML at CJ for this product, the end of the code URL will look like this (I added the SID):

...buy.com%2retail%2product.asp%3Fsku%3D90121727&sid=SonyEarBud

Now, I go back to buy.com and look at the next SONY product:
    Sony SVM-75LS 4" x 6'' Print Pack
    ...buy.com/retail/product.asp?sku=90120040

All you have to do is copy the code exactly from the first product, and change the '90121727' to '90120040' so the URL now looks like this:

...buy.com%2retail%2product.asp%3Fsku%3D90120040&sid=SonyPrintPack

This sure beats the heck out of searching and opening GET HTML windows at CJ. Just be careful not to delete the escapes when you change product sku number, like the '%3D' which replaces the '=' sign in the url.

I've been doing this for years, and I can create a lot more links faster this way then going through the CJ interface. I always check each link as I put it up just to make sure it lands on the right page and I didn't accidently overwrite part of the url.

And after having done it this way for so long, I really cringe whenever I have to create links at LinkShare, because they are so much more time consuming to make. I haven't figured out a way around their make code windows.

I will share one word of caution here, though, and that is that there may be times a merchant has excluded an item from the feed into CJ because of inventory issues, or it might even be a non-commissionable item. You don't want to go to a lot of trouble for nothing

My advice would be to check with an affiliate manager first. 99.9% of the time we will be glad you did...it is really great to have affiliates take initiative, now lets make sure you get full credit
    Best,

David Rogers
    Sr. Manager, E-Commerce
    New Line Cinema
    212 649-4900
    NewLineShop.com
    WBShop.com
    TheOCInsiderShop.com

This has been an ongoing problem for months now.

I have written to both CJ and my merchants - but it still doesn't work all the time.

Ebudae

Thanks for all your replies...

Tracy, I will try your method out. It sounds much easier than what I've been trying to do.

They should try to get this fixed ASAP. CJ tells you to use their tools to make the links but how can we do that if they don't work half the time. I'm suprised that the merchants haven't complained to CJ about this. Oh well, guess we'll see what happens.

Affiliate Manager affiliatemanager's Avatar
    Hi Everyone,

Thanks for your posts. Here are two ways I can help in the interim:

1. You can use this link and just insert your PID and the Buy.com SKU at the end (remove the <> characters)

http://www.***********/click--10388132?URL=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.buy.com%2Fretail%2Fproduct.asp%3Fsku%3D

2. You can build individual links using this Buy.com tool

http://www.buy.com/retail/affiliates/sitelinks.asp

3. You can follow these steps in the CJ interface

1. Find textlink number 10388132, labeled “SPECIFIC PRODUCT LINK FOR PUBLISHERS”
    2. Click on “Get HTML”
    3. Click on “Show Advanced Options”
    4. Delete the current Destinations URL and replace it with the URL for your chosen Buy.com page
    5. Click on Update HTML
    6. Replace the text in the code “SPECIFIC PRODUCT LINK FOR PUBLISHERS” with your chosen text
    7. Copy and place code on your site

Hope this helps!!

Melissa

Melissa D. Salas
    Buy.com Marketing Manager
    affiliates@buy.com

Affiliate Manager affiliatemanager's Avatar
    Sorry, ABW blocked part of the URL above in #1 (******)... email me at affiliates@buy.com and I will send this link to you....

Melissa

10. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread