A Real *and* Darn Cool Member! lstolze's Avatar
    Sale credited elsewhere...
    Hey guys and gals. I tried to skim through here to find the answer to my question, but I didn't see anything off hand. I am still trying to learn about parasiteware, and I apologize if this is a stupid question, BUT...

I just found out that a purchase I made yesterday through a link of my own (which is correct - I checked it) was credited to another affiliate. I use Mozilla, and don't use any of those programs we all hate so much, and during my last check, no spyware, etc. So, how could this happen? The merchant is through CJ - ThinkGeek.com. Could someone please tell me if this could be a legitimate mistake, or is someone pilfering my sales? And if so, can someone explain how? Or post a thread for me to read on this subject?

Thank you all so much!

~Lisa~
    ~Lisa - Brilliant Mastermind, or Nut? You decide!

Hiya Lisa .
    its to techie for me, someone will be along soon, for sure.
    Find us at shareasale.com 12% commission
    Shareasale Merchant 7191
    PLAZAN SKIN CARE As seen on TV . Used by Jennifer Lopez

A question we'd all love to know the answer for. I had a merchant run some test purchases on my links - the links were correct on my site - yet someone else got credit for those tests. They never could answer why someone else got credit for some of the test purchases and I got credit for the others.
    Heidi
    "Happy are those who dream dreams and are willing to pay the price to make them come true"

ABW Ambassador
    How did you find out that another affiliate got the sale? Do you know which other affiliate got the credit?

Last edited by lstolze; June 15th, 2005 at 02:16 PM. Reason: Oops! Double post...

In My case the AM was able to track where the sale went to. CJ had no answer for this AM either and I never heard another thing back after the AM called me and told me the results of her test transactions.
    Heidi
    "Happy are those who dream dreams and are willing to pay the price to make them come true"

I received this email from the AM in response to my inquiry as to why I hadn't seen my purchase post to my reports:
    ---------------------------
    Hello,

We see the order in our system and also in the CJ system, but the order you mentioned was attributed to another affiliate. You may want to contact CJ to see if your links and other tracking are working properly. If you need my help in contacting CJ for assistance, please let me know.

Thanks,
    --------------------------

No idea who the other affiliate is.

ABW Ambassador
    Did you possibly already have another cookie on your system from another affiliate, before clicking on yours? The only thing i can think of is parasites somehow, which you ruled out, or somehow your cookie never got set or was blocked and you had a cookie already from another affiliate. Other than that, don't know. Maybe a screw up somewhere on CJ's end. MIght contact them as see what they have to say, how this could happen.

"still trying to learn about parasiteware"

Why the assumption that the problem lies outside the walls of CJ?

No assumption, however it seemed to me this may be a parasite issue. Who knows? I just want my sale! And there is no way I had another affiliate's cookie on my pc. Maybe it is a CJ issue.... Hopefully I will hear back from the AM. I asked her to contact CJ since I've yet to have any luck with contacting them when I have a problem.

I just wanted to find out if my sales could potentially be hijacked other than through spyware apps, etc. This stuff gets a little confusing to me.

Internet Cowboy
    If it is not corrected in a few days I would drop that merchant like a bad habit. Don't let them play games with you. Certainly there are other options for the items through another merchant.

"if my sales could potentially be hijacked other than through spyware apps"

Again, why the assumption that this would have to take place outside the walls of CJ?

The quick brush-off by both CJ and the merchant, rather than a "let's get to the bottom of this" stance? HMMMMMMM.

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Some anti-Adware/Spyware programs may have blocked your CJ cookie if they targeted that link URL. If the merchnat places the CJ parsing cookie correctly on the final checkout page, then CJ sets the click cookie ...all goes through smoothly. Have CJ and the merchant AM check out when the other affilite's cookie was set, then compare invoice purchase time.
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

Marketing Mistress Lectrickitty's Avatar
    Can you cancel the purchase then repete to see if it is an ongoing problem or an isolated case?

"Can you cancel the purchase then repete to see if it is an ongoing problem or an isolated case?"

Great idea.

16. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread