The Thin White Duke PreacherMan's Avatar
    Question Guilt, Poverty Complex and Motivation
    Ok need some advice guys and gals. I have always hated to follow the flock and have always strived to do things differently, with a career being no exception. I got my degree in software development and spent a year and a half in a programming job. I really didn't like it as it was a bit too much of a rat race to me. I always had the feeling that I should be doing something different, that there should be an easier and more effective way to make money other than a 9 to 5.

You can imagine how happy I was then to discover affiliate marketing. It for me is the ideal job, great money, more time to do things and no boss I only have been in it for a short time but I'm am earning a weekly wage already and the sky is the limit really.

However for some reason I am feeling a bit guilty that I have found this great opportunity and great way to make money while others have to 'make it the hard way'. Anyone else ever feel this way? The thing is that I know it is incredibly idiotic to think this way, but it feels like I am subconciously trying to sabotage myself. I think it is a poverty complex, I could make a lot of money but I must feel I only deserve to make X amount per week. The thing is I dont know anybody who makes thousands of a week so it scares me a bit to realise that could easily be me if I put my mind to it.

Please kick my ass over this, I NEED to shake the guilt and poverty complex!

Also I sometimes feel a lack of motivation to seek out new income sources. This is especially true as income keeps growing that you have not done any extra work for. You see the figures rise and your mind fools you into thinking that it will stay on this upward curve which is NOT the case and I know this.

What are some of the methods you use to motivate yourself to find extra income sources, even when your existing sources are performing very well. Also general affiliate motivation tips (ridding boredom etc...) would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
    Keep on learning, keep on earning. :fan:

Your request is kind of funny because usually you have a legion of people telling you how crazy you are to be making money easily. I like you have always felt there should be an easier way to make money. Making money doesn't have to be labor intensive. Working smarter not harder is always better.

Motivation comes from understanding that you don't know it all. You still have to learn your craft whatever it is. This means learning new things and new applications for your knowledge everyday. Experimentation is a good way to learn and keep motivated. Especially if it works. If not, try again a different way.

Remember the smarter caveman survived to become today's man. Why go backwards and become extinct? Be happy. You'll survive in the 21st Century.
    Luke
    Have you promoted your brand name today?

ABW Ambassador
    You should feel guilty for not making as much money as you can. If you don't, you're not living up to your potential and that would be just sad. If you still feel guilty after making money, then do some good with it. Donate some to a charity, start a scholarship in your own name and give it to someone deserving but without the resources to do so etc. Go make as much money as you can.

(1) Is not easy to make money from affiliate marketing. If you're finding it easy, you must be a lot more talented than me and others here.

(2) poverty complex - understand fully. I was brought up in one of the poorest areas in England and used to earn 90p an hour as a teenager (that's about $1.50). Now that I'm earning way over that, I do feel guilty, as I don't feel I deserve it when millions of other people are still on minimum wage. My friends say I deserve it because I work harder than anybody they've ever met (have been working 80 to 90 hours a week on my business for seven years inc. Xmas Days, birthdays etc.) but I still feel guilty

Quote Originally Posted by Azam.com
    (2) poverty complex - understand fully. I was brought up in one of the poorest areas in England and used to earn 90p an hour as a teenager (that's about $1.50). Now that I'm earning way over that, I do feel guilty, as I don't feel I deserve it when millions of other people are still on minimum wage. My friends say I deserve it because I work harder than anybody they've ever met (have been working 80 to 90 hours a week on my business for seven years inc. Xmas Days, birthdays etc.) but I still feel guilty
    Nice to hear I am not alone. I think it's all the poor student days catching up on me. I work a crazy amount of hours on my sites as well, more hours than I ever would put in in a 'real' job.

Internet Cowboy
    I make a living at affiliate marketing and I spend very little time updating pages and laboring at my computer. Where I spend in INCREDIBLE amount of time is looking through ABW for new programs that would work in verticals that aren't over saturated. Looking for new programs that contain items or services that I know about and can write about. Some days I feel like I really have not accomplished anything, but if I had one good idea or found one good new merchant on any given day, that day could end up making me $10K over the next year so that is a pretty good day.

Case in point. I have a floundering niche site that has never really made me any money. A while back I was reading through ABW and noticed a new merchant. I took a look at their web site and decided they were worth a try. They have a very limited number of items and are in a vertical that is not too crowded, but there is plenty of competition. I started promoting this merchant's goods to the tune of making some SEO pages and spending less than $5 a day via PPC. That merchant is now making me over $200 a week in commissions. Their products won't change so I have no updating to do to my site. I am using less than 10 keywords on my PPC campaign with this merchant so there is no real PPC tweaking to worry about. Some programs hit...some don't.

I work a ton of hours a lot of the time. Take a few weeks off here and there too, but it all comes out in the wash. I do a lot of volunteer work in my community, that makes me feel good.
    Don't ever feel bad about making good money as an affiliate, just keep digging to make as much money as you can while doing something in your community or church or wherever that helps others. This will make you happy too.

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    The "Poverity Complex" idea is very interesting and certainly applies to me. Hate to think of all the millionares I've made by just sharing my business building ideas FOR FREE, while automating their companies for peanut worker bee fees. I always strive to give out 3 times the fee amount in actual work, research, visualization, new or proven ideas to any client customer since the 70's. Amazing that those smart ones, who then befriend you to learn more, are the first to steal the ideas as their own....then distancing themselves from the source. Hell some, via a strange human nature trait, try their hardest to actually ruin your reputation within their influence group and even drive customers from you ...forget about referrals. ROLMAO..

Lets put this "Poverty Complex" into perspective for those who don't have my secret decoder ring. There are just two types of people..... GIVERS & TAKERS. Life would be easy if they had their "nature" tattoed on their foreheads. Instead we spend or lives dealing way too much time to those who give a little ...and take a bunch. Maybe Preacherman and I think alike. I abhor, and remove from life's stress obsticals, the guilt of ever doing a half assed job for a client. Easiest way is to charge less then your combined contracted work is worth.... to any rational businessman's mind. Often, not taking the top money leads to poverty. While your dodging the "value" issue to evaluate the long term projects potential, your getting immediate feedback as to whether this customer/client is a GIVER or TAKER. If he knows he can use you for peanuts this guy has 2 choices. They either call you often and try to pay you more then you are asking for.... or they call you often and weazel on payments or connieve to get some extra free work for the low low fee.

So your affiliate life should be spent learning who are the givers and the takers within this affiliate industry. (Charlies Advice) The worse that can happen by giving more work for less pay ....often does! You get your panties in a knot, or worse, when a client does what my last one did..... TRUE STORY.

This Clients wife used her neice (a client's wife) to get a cheap hosted website, designed by me, to showcase her Field Cameras Michigan Rural B&W photos, posters and book sold at Amazon. Total price was $250.00. The site shows it was a bargain www.ecomcity.com/heritage/ put up throughout 4 years of coercied site changes for the small hosting fee. Now the hubby wants a brochureware site to promote his relief artwork saying his would be easier then the wife's site. He's got it all organized and would show me some artists sites that were simple to imitate. Same $250.00 bought this site made from a CD of photos (all several MB's ea.) , no logo or content beyond a 3 paragraph artist's (David Rubello) Biography. www.get-in2.com/DavidRubello/

Once launched, 2 days ago, the guys first reaction after 5 minutes of viewing the site was he needed an immediate site makeover as he hated it. The sample sites we looked at were plain white, Text ONLY Logo, Intro text and a few simple gallery & biography,contact pages. He called to see if he couldn't reserve the next few days to work with together to make it look like a new site he found. http://www.michael-mccarthy.com/ ....ROLMAO... as if this guys $250.00 was buying this expensive scripted framed Gallery type site. I'm sure I'm seeking out, or, using the "Poverty Complex" to do what I just did. Placed updates on his wife's site and changed her new phone # & added new photos. Added in links to her site to his ...and vice versa... then added them both (banners & text) to several high traffic EcomCity pages. Then I called the older original client relative, who earlier phoned to begged I make it right with his wife's relative -David Rubello, and told him the $250.00 site is up and until I hear it's a piece of crap from other artists, the arts community, and site design webmasters both he and his relations will be charged $50.00/hr for any further work they want from me.

The Poverty Complex then leads to both bad mouthing me to all who'd listen till their blue in the face. These takers now see they no longer can get more then they pay for at the new rate.
    Last edited by ecomcity; June 15th, 2005 at 04:30 PM.
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

I think many of us see the new showoff houses coming in and wonder how the owners can afford it. At least, those of us who by circumstance had to work for pennies most of our lives.

Anyone who is bothered by receiving too much money should instead worry about where to invest it. The good days don't always last forever.

Why feel guilty? They could do the same thing that you're doing. You took the initiative. They didn't. That's their fault, not yours.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

ABW Ambassador
    Also for those making too much money, i'm here to help. I'm here to alleviate guilt. I can give you an address to send any overflow and it will be put to good use

Quote Originally Posted by TrustNo1
    Also for those making too much money, i'm here to help. I'm here to alleviate guilt. I can give you an address to send any overflow and it will be put to good use
    lol I was waiting for somebody to come with that suggestion

On the subject of making money what are your increases percentage-wise between what you made in your regular job before aff marketing and what you make now?

ABW Ambassador
    This month, 4x what i would normally make at the job i quit.

More Cheesier Than Ever Cheesehead's Avatar
    If you still feel guilty after all these posts, here is what you do:

Use the time you have available with your flexible schedule to help others. Heaven knows there are plenty to help. If you have a wife and kids start there - help coach your kids sports, lead youth groups, take time to play games with the kids, read to them, the list goes on and on.

If you don't have kids at home any longer there are all kinds of opportunities with community service, church, missions, food shelfs, soup kitchens, etc.

Sometimes I need a big kick on the side of the head for forgetting what is truely important in life. I wouldn't trade all the money in the world for any one member of my family.
    Last edited by Cheesehead; June 16th, 2005 at 02:52 PM.
    This World is Not My Home
    We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. . . And then we're gonna go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goalline! Quotes from the movie Rudy, 1993

You could also give the money you don't need or want to charity.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Affiliate Manager
    TrustNo1, do you mind sharing what your job was before you got into affiliate marketing?

Talking
    Quote Originally Posted by TrustNo1

Me TOOOOOOO !!

Marketing Mistress Lectrickitty's Avatar
    Why should you feel guilty for using your talents to make money for yourself instead of your old boss? I believe that everyone has the capability to make an abundance of money. Some people spend their entire life making money for a BOSS, and some people have the motivation to make it for themselves. I think all of us on this forum choose to be in the second category.

Should you, me, or any of us feel guilty because we choose to work for ourselves? NO WAY. I plan to do much good with my money. Donations to truly needy people in various ways.

Then buy a house near the beach on Maui!

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelColey
    Why feel guilty? They could do the same thing that you're doing. You took the initiative. They didn't. That's their fault, not yours.
    Exactly!

others have to 'make it the hard way'.
    They do not "have to." They choose to. Ditch the dead weight of peasant-think like yesterday's paper.

The ones who do NOT want the "employee-peasant lifestyle" will find a way out of it, even if they're stuck in a factory at the present--and will be up there with you at some point or another. No need to feel for them because they are clawing their way out of the ensnarement of employment as I type. Even if they're not "bright bulbs" they will find a way!

The ones who choose to stay as wage-slaves, who are content to "yessir" their lives away working for others (guess what? Those "others" they're working for are free people like US!), no need to concern yourself with the opinions of hairless apes. Sure they talk plenty as if a person "should" only make "X", because they'd like the whole world to be in the same hopeless, dreary morass they've chosen for themselves. (Of course they will deny that it's hopeless, dreary, and a morass. But that doesn't change the facts!)

Giving them a job working FOR YOU is about the best you can do for someone who is satisfied with being a slave. But *joining them* will only bring you down.
    Last edited by Leader; June 16th, 2005 at 09:47 PM.
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

19. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread