2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Thumbs down Wonder who's spreading the theftware?
    http://www.marketingmetrixgroup.com/Networks.html

Look at the logos and their ebiz plan to shove Ad enima tubes up all the shoppers butts. A brave soul ventured into the BHO sewer to gather up some tid-bits... http://www.vitalsecurity.org/
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

Ya just gotta read all the posted information on Vitalsecurity.org's front page.... http://www.vitalsecurity.org/

"....I've stated for a long time that the installs would get bigger (you have DSL? Great! We'll hose your bandwidth along with your PC!), though these installs would need something a little more sophisticated than a "You're our 1000th visitor! Click here, you've won a speedboat" banner ad. And, thundering into the world of P2P are a series of what can only be described as mega-installs. You may get some content with it, but the programs that lurch onto your PC mean you won't be sampling it anytime soon.

First there was the 8MB install. Ooh, we said. That's a whopper. Then there was Bube, with its 100+ individual items of Malware, Spyware and Trojans. Ouch, we said. That'll hurt. After that came Adware that forced the .NET framework onto your PC (whether you wanted it or not), with a 65MB piece of frivolity. Er...hang on, we said. That kinda' sucks.

And now....it looks like the once (vaguely) happy, clappy world of Bittorrent is being invaded with the marketing campaign to end all marketing campaigns. A concerted effort to get everybody's favourite piece of advertising genius into your lives...Aurora.

Maybe the reason why install sites are so thin on the ground is because there aren't any. Not a lot, anyway. It was obvious that Aurora was getting onboard somehow, but no-one seemed quite sure where from. When I think back now, to all those Hijack This logs posted on security forums...the answer was staring us in the face. Do a random Google search for Nail.exe and Aurora.exe, check out the forums and see what reoccurs, time and time again:....." http://www.vitalsecurity.org/
    Last edited by ecomcity; June 15th, 2005 at 06:28 PM.

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

Well, of course I'm shocked to learn that 180 is being downloaded without the end user's consent...

Andy

ABW Ambassador
    Wow, a post from Mike that actually make sense... way to quote! To paraphrase Will Smith in Bad Boys..

That's how you post! From now on, THAT'S how you post!
    Hi, I'm a signature.

Quote Originally Posted by ecomcity
    ... their ebiz plan to shove Ad enima tubes up all the shoppers butts.

... the BHO sewer ...
    lol, sometimes I love your posts...

Ebudae

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Celicaphile
    Wow, a post from Mike that actually make sense... way to quote!
    That's why it made sense
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

I run a download website and have received a half dozen emails from 180Solutions to include their software in my download, now this week I've received an email from Whenu, needless to say I never reply,

"I represent WhenU. WhenU provides contextual desktop advertising. We think XXXXXXXX has significant user value. We would like to introduce a partnering proposal that would bring added revenue to your software.

Are you the appropriate person for this matter? Or, could you kindly direct me to the right person to present our offer."

"WhenU Company Highlights:
    An original player in the industry with 5 years of contextual advertising experience

Currently bundled with the most popular web downloads, including BearShare and Freeze

Fortune 500 advertisers include Priceline, Chase, Cingular, ATT, Delta, Ameriquest and HP

Always protects user privacy with our proprietary client-side architecture
    "

ABW Ambassador

Thanks for the post, Mike!

Very interesting!

Best,
    RadarCat

Defender of Truth, Justice and the Affiliate Way
    A concerted effort to get everybody's favourite piece of advertising genius into your lives...Aurora
    Aurora = one of the many exe files from DirectRevenue (aka IPInsight aka Transponders). For those how may not remember IPInsight do an ABW search. But lets put it this way...when IPInsight came on the radar their behavior was considered so bad that all the Networks terminated them before affs even heard about them.

They recently resurfaced under the name of DirectRevenue. The were also one of the parties involved in the adware vs adware lawsuit.

To make matter even worse the noble Google Adwords program knowingly syndicates their PPCSE Ads through partnerships contracting out keyword draining to BHO using hidden and drive by installers......

Ben reports the whole sleazy thing at http://www.benedelman.org/news/060605-1.html

..."Google's listing of ad partners confirms that Google ads can be shown by InfoSpace, owner of Go2Net. Note that InfoSpace is a publicly-traded company (NASDAQ: INSP).

The example above shows an Orbitz ad being shown by IBIS WebSearch. In my testing, Orbitz often advertises through programs often called spyware. (Examples: Orbitz ads shown by Claria/Gator, eXact Advertising and Hotbar.) But because IBIS WebSearch syndicates and shows many Google ads for many keywords, IBIS shows ads even for advertisers who otherwise refuse to do business with spyware firms. Indeed, thanks to syndication from Google, IBIS even shows (and receives payment for showing) ads from firms that have filed suit against makers of such software. For example, I have captured proof of IBIS showing Google AdWords ads from the Hertz, LL Bean, and the New York Times, each of which has taken a stand against unwanted advertising software by suing Claria.

Enforcement Challenges

Google's Software Principles document concludes by noting that "Responsible ... advertisers can work to prevent [undesirable software] by avoiding these types of business relationships [those violating the principles set out above], even if ... through intermediaries." This is surely good advice. But Google's far-reaching relationships with Ask Jeeves, IBIS, and others indicate that Google's actions fall short of Google's own recommendations to others."
    more.... http://www.benedelman.org/news/060605-1.html

11. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread