Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Hosting company reversal question
    On the 13th, I had my first hosting company commission from CJ. It was $90 and I was thrilled. The very next day it was reversed. I just now looked at the domain listed in the transaction report and the website is up. Furthermore, the whois info coincides with the transaction date.

Any idea on what happened? I've sent an email to the hosting company, but thought maybe some of you wise souls might have some experience with hosting company weirdness.

which hosting company? what's the deal with all of them being so shady?

I dont personally work with any hosting companies but How could they have reversals? I mean you cant return a hosting plan once you sign up can you? What % of your leads are reverssals for the hosting category?

I gave up on marketing hosting companies. Sure, the bounty is nice, but in the end it didn't cover the cost of my high blood pressure pills I had to take when the reversals came in.
    It is quite lucrative though if you substitute the aff links with Adsense, if your site design allows.

Frank

Hi Bethany,

From the transaction page click on the transaction number and a pop-up window will provide detail on why the commission was reversed in the field "Correction Reason".

I believe you will find "duplicate order", "invalid credit card", or "returned merchandise" as the reason.

Hard to believe but apparently for ever 6 hosting sales there are 3 duplicate orders, one invalid credit card, one returned merchandise, and only one sale you ever get paid for.

How can this be? Well the far out explanation that I never got but can assume would be if I pressed for it;

that the buyer accidently ordered twice but under two different affiliate cookies and the other affiliate got credit for the sale that was first and I didn't because mine was the duplicate.

The question that begs to be asked is why wouldn't the hosting company do something to prevent duplicate orders in the first place if they happen with such amazing incredible frequency?

>>>what's the deal with all of them being so shady?

I am starting to wonder if there is only one hosting company.

I recently had over $200 in hosting comissions reversed due to invalid credit cards. I never see the site online that was apparently signed up though. You definitely need to get in touch with that host and find out what happened. I've always wanted to put more attention on hosting sales, but this thread has definitely hindered my ambition to put major time into this.

- Scott
    Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

Quote Originally Posted by KevinT
    I believe you will find "duplicate order", "invalid credit card", or "returned merchandise" as the reason.
    One of the web hosts we promote has reversed 3 of our 4 slaes this month. The reason given: "other".

If I ran a hosting business, I'd use CJ too, except I'd offer $500 commission on a $5 a month account. Then just reverse them all. Too easy....

...but to be fair, hosting is one of the most complicated things you can sell online, and I'd definitely expect up to 50% reversals if the target customers aren't experts.

Rob.

I don't want to try and give excuses myself, as I hate reversals as much as the next guy -- but as Rob says, webhosting is highly complicated -- even when the customer vaguely knows what they're doing. I've gone with hosts only to discover (often too late) that they don't support some script or cgi binary due to the way their hosting is configured. And tried to back out and go to another host as quickly as possible. Many hosts offer 14 day or longer no quibble guarantees too. Although if the customers website IS actually up (how did you find this out btw? a form on your site?) and is being hosted by the company then this does look highly dodgy.

Funnily enough, I had my first webhosting commission this month too, and I'll be watching it carefully!

Internet Cowboy
    CJ does not police hosting merchants. I have tried them all and none of them are honest. They either reverse sales for no reason, lie about the amount they really pay per sale or do not pay at all. There have been many threads here regarding CJ hosting merchants and it is commonly known that they only lead to frustration.
    I have bought some things through GoDaddy and they did pay though, so maybe there is some light out there.

I would suggest finding a good indie program for hosting.

Wow, thanks everyone for such great replies! It was BlueHost, btw.

For ChrisH: if you download the sales report it'll show you the domain that was purchased.

I didn't know that I could see the reason for the reversal, much appreciated for the tip. And the reason is...."duplicated order".

I'm too disbelieving of this, but I think UncleScooter has it right, gotta find me "a good indie program" (if only I knew how!!). Does anyone have experience with Shareasale hosting companies? I haven't signed up with Shareasale, but would be willing to if their hosts had a better track record.

Internet Cowboy
    Quote Originally Posted by bethany
    gotta find me "a good indie program" (if only I knew how!!)
    Type in something like "Web Hosting Affiliate Program" in to Google. You will get 42 zillion results. Weed through them from there.

Quote Originally Posted by UncleScooter
    Type in something like "Web Hosting Affiliate Program" in to Google. You will get 42 zillion results. Weed through them from there.
    Thanks, I'll do that. Here's hoping I can actually spot a reputable one on my own (she says, doubtfully).

if you download the sales report it'll show you the domain that was purchased.
    Hello Bethany,

Where are you downloading the sales report?

Sorry, I wrote it wrong, I meant the transaction report.

Sorry, I wrote it wrong, I meant the transaction report.
    I found it. Thank you. That will be very useful.

Well I don't see the domain name in my transaction report after downloading the raw data. Guess they don't provide that detail. Noticed the transaction's been extended though. Yeah sure, keep my money for 60 days, I don't mind...
    Last edited by christh; June 17th, 2005 at 02:16 PM. Reason: For Duvel induced appauling grammar

It's under "Order_ID" in the report. Some hosts show a number or something else instead of the domain name.

I haven't signed up with Shareasale,
    : Why, Why, Why?? I can't believe it! I just can't believe it!!!

OK, Ok, I have come up with a solution...

Relax...

You are feeling the uncontrollable urge to make money...

You want your 'Affiliate Headaches' to go away...

You are feeling the urge to click the banner at ABW that will lead you to Share a Sale...

You will now fill in the application

And now...

Get ready to...

The above post is made in fun only.

But the results at Share a Sale are real.

Nature

Hah, Nature, you're right! I'm now a card carrying member of ShareASale and have started perusing the merchant list. Too many happy affiliates not to join.

The slot machine that IS paid! Billy Kay's Avatar
    The 1st Hosting Co I promoted was HostSave on Linkshare.

I WATCHED as my babysitter placed the order for her site. Never tracked. I asked. It showed as a "Phoned in" order. I asked both Linkshare and Hostsave to explain how an online order could track as a phone-in order.

Waited 90 days for response, then filed BBB complaint against both.

I switched to Globat on CJ. This time I personally did the sale for a friend. A week later it reversed. They said customer cancelled. Duh! I'd know if it cancelled

Waited for response. None. I chargebacked and filed a BBB.

I switched to ePowerServer on ShareaSale. Last Friday I walked a neighbor step-by-step thru the process. Order showed up. Next day it reversed - invalid credit card. Hmmm. My neighbor left 2 messages today asking when we can get started on his new website???

I emailed - no response.

I'm beginning to think there are no legitimate hosting companies.

Affiliate Manager
    Billy,

I only recently joined Globat (last week) to head up their marketing department, the affiliate programs fall within my realm. If there has been confusions in the past or problems, I hope to have the rectified quickly. I will be hiring a dedicated affiliate manager shortly, but in the mean time I will be more than happy to look into why your commissions were reversed if you could provide me with some additional details.

Scott Averbach
    Director of Online Marketing
    Globat, LLC

The slot machine that IS paid! Billy Kay's Avatar
    Scott,

I've been dealing with Louis Banda - one sided anyway - since he doesn't answer emails

Anyway, I've already got my money back when I disputed the charge with my CC company

But I'll be more then happy to forward all the unanswered emails so you know what you put your affiliates thru

4.3 - Customer acknowledges and specifically agrees that chargebacks - which might occur if Customer disputes Globat charges directly with Customer's credit card bank - are unlawful if Globat's service has been rendered. If customer has a fee dispute with Globat he has to settle such dispute with Globat directly without initiating any chargeback procedures.
    Chargebacks are NOT unlawful and I can't resolve anything with Globat if they don't respond

Quote Originally Posted by siaver
    Billy,

I only recently joined Globat (last week) to head up their marketing department, the affiliate programs fall within my realm. If there has been confusions in the past or problems, I hope to have the rectified quickly. I will be hiring a dedicated affiliate manager shortly, but in the mean time I will be more than happy to look into why your commissions were reversed if you could provide me with some additional details.

Scott Averbach
    Director of Online Marketing
    Globat, LLC
    To give you guys an "insight" into Scott and what "appears" to be some serious dedication [to affiliates] by globat ...

http://www.internetretailer.com/dailyNews.asp?id=15273

Hi and Welcoe to ABW Scott! :
    Continued Success,

Haiko
    The secret of success is constancy of purpose ~ Disraeli

Internet Cowboy
    Scott,
    I have something I would like explained please.

When looking at all CJ hosting merchants, Globat claims to pay $90 with a performance incentive. But when you look at their merchant detail page, it says otherwise. The banner you display clearly says $90 per sale, yet your action criteria reads
    ActionCriteria: Web Hosting Purchase -$65 First Sale -$75 Second Sale -$90 For Every Sale Thereafter!
    So, my question is, shouldn't your program be listed as a $65 payout with a performance incentive to get up to $90? Do you not see this as deceptive to claim that you pay $90 per sale when indeed you do not?

From an affiliate standpoint, how can I trust a merchant who is clearly deceptive in the most basic of explanation of their terms? I asked this of your top management once after signing up for a hosting account with you and my account was terminated and my credit card refunded instead of my question answered.

Is this how Globat continues to do business?

Thanks for your reply.

Startlogic
    I am still with startlogic.

All my sales that I knew of were tracked and credited to my account. All the sales that I knew of were coming from my cousin and friends.

However, I have to send them e-mail first to let them "KNOW" that those sales are from my cousin and friends and tell them the time, date and domain names that were purchased.

I have to send them e-mail because after two days of the sale the commission was not credited to my account but after sending e-mail, commission of $100 is credited to my account and at the same time locked and approved in the status.

As long as the sales from my cousin and friends are tracked and credited i'll hang-on.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast