Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    I was reading a post on WMW where someone noted that sites with an uncommonly large amount of outbound links are showing grey bars on the google toolbar. I just checked Flamingoworld and it is showing a grey bar. However, other sites are showing good PR. Has this been happening alot, Connie?

Is this the end of the line for coupon sites?

BTW, the sky is falling, the sky is falling.

Just curious. My site has had a grey bar for the last few days. Traffic is WAAAAAYYYYYY down.

"Bueller...? Bueller...?"

ABW Ambassador
    Sky is not falling, maybe her site was down when it was crawled, happens sometimes. If you check other coupon sites i don't see grey bars. People over at WMW are looney. Check to see if you're still in index. Toolbar has been acting funning lately, nothing to worry about.

"Nothing focuses the mind better than the constant sight of a competitor who wants to wipe you off the map."
    --Wayne Calloway

I have a small coupon site that has been popping in and out of Google every day for the last week. One day it’s there with a good PR, the next day it’s gone with a gray bar and then the following day it’s back again.
    Whatever changes are currently taking place at Google are still going on. I bet Connie’s site is experiencing the same thing.

I would also like to hear your opinion on this Connie.

I noticed this a few weeks ago and have no idea what happened. My site has been steadily gray, not just sometimes. Good thing I don't count on google for my traffic. My traffic has actually gone up this month.
    Seems shortly after I start posting alot on ABW things start happening. Like maybe there is someone here that is out to get me or something.
    Very strange coincidences happen when I become active here. And this happened right after I became the moderator of the Couponer's Corner.
    Seems some people who frequent here are out to get me.

Connie Berg
    http://www.flamingoworld.com

Connie,
    I wouldn’t doubt if there is some idiot out there that’s trying to get you. That’s one of the problems with having a site that becomes popular. Some people would rather spend their time trying to beat sites like yours out of position with dirty tricks, rather than work harder and try to compete with you legitimately.
    I can’t stand seeing people b*tching and complaining about sites; and trying to figure out how to get them blacklisted. I think most of these people don’t have enough brains in their head to work smart and get ahead, but instead they think they should police everyone else’s site.
    Sorry, just a little rant.
    Anyway, if you don’t mind me asking, where does most of your traffic come from? I completely understand if you don’t answer this.

Luckily my people are just loyal visitors that have me bookmarked. 97% of my people come directly to my site by type in or bookmark.
    I am having my 5th Anniversary in October, have alot of longtime members that help spread the word.
    Yes, at many times I have had people try to sabotage me. With the millions of people online I think there are enough people to go around, but some people don't want to work hard for their money, they want to get it by beating others down.
    And it is sad that those people doing things to me are some of those same people *****ing about the parasites and such. It is ok to be unethical as long as it isn't happening to you I guess.

Connie Berg

ABW Ambassador
    I don't understand how anybody here can make Googles Toolbar gray for your site. I bet when this "update" is finished you'll have PR again. I just think now everything is screwy with Google. You've been online way too long and have lots of backlinks, i think it's just a temporary Google glitch.

"Nothing focuses the mind better than the constant sight of a competitor who wants to wipe you off the map."
    --Wayne Calloway

Fatwallet is also coming up gray.

Connie Berg

Thanks Connie and Congrat's on the upcoming anniversary.

ABW Ambassador
    I just checked and am seeing PR6 for fatwallet, still think toolbar is just acting up.

--Wayne Calloway

Yep, I checked again and FatWallet has a 6 now. But mine is steady gray.
    Trust me, Trust.. Someone did something. Not sure what but it is just too big of a coincidence. I have been screwed over enough to know when it is happening. This isn't the only thing happening either, but I don't want to go into details and call anyone out.

Connie Berg

TrustNo1,
    I think the toolbar is definitely acting up, but it’s also Google’s database jumping around.
    Not only is my site jumping from good PR to gray bar, but also my site as a whole is popping in and out of Google’s database. One day I’ll check and the site is nowhere to be found and then the next it’s back showing up in the results for some keyword searches. And when I mean nowhere to be found I mean all pages and URL are not showing.
    It’s going to be interesting to keep watching and see how everything settles.

This is encouraging in an odd sort of way. I have been sweating this for a couple of weeks now.

As far as taking FW down... not a chance. That is why I brought it up so I could understand what is happening to my site. I only (did) get about 100 hits a day. That traffic brings me little in the way of money. So far this month I have made nothing from my site. I am afraid of what is to come. I have been working hard and don't want it to all go down the toilet. I fully expected this index to put me up to about 300 - 400 hits a day with good traffic. Maybe that is still to come.

I have a couple other sites up but they too have taken a big hit in the traffic dept.

I can only cross my fingers and wait.

I'm sure Connie knows who the scallywags are. Congrats on your 5 years. I'm sure you have another 5 waiting for you.

Yeah, but do I want another 5 years? Maybe time to retire! Do something less stressfull!

Connie Berg

I just checked and I have a 4/10 for the first time in days.

I'm getting an ulcer.

ABW Ambassador
    I would be worried if you had PR then it went to PR0 signaling a possible penalty. But gray is nothing to worry about. Especially Connies site that has so many backlinks Google can't ignore that site. Some have posted toolbar is showing PR from past months. Connie i don't know if your site was down during a crawl awhile back, it could be showing that, don't know. Index looks like an old index as my placements look like a few months ago. Again i would worry if i had PR then in went solid white, gray bar just means you're not currently in index.

--Wayne Calloway

I'll make a deal with you Connie. I'll take over your site and give you 80% of the profits for the next 5 years. After that, it is mine.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by steveinid:
    I'll make a deal with you Connie. I'll take over your site and give you 80% of the profits for the next 5 years. After that, it is mine.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'll keep that in mind! LOL

And no, my site hasn't been down since Maybe february when I switched servers.

Connie Berg

ABW Ambassador
    That could be it, my rankings that are showing now resemble February or March. Theres a few key terms i always keep an eye on and in February was actually better than last month. Now i'm back where i was back then. GoogleGuy said they are using an old index with freshbot listings, thats what you're seeing now. Later they'll add the latest crawls and update everything. I bet your PR comes back in next couple of weeks. Am just remembering all the posts of people getting gray bars after being in the index last month. I wonder if they were in Feb. Something to think about. I bet thats what it is Feb or March index with freshbot listings.

I’m seeing the same thing TrustNo1. There are a couple of keywords I track for another site and they show the exact same as Feb.

I hope so, just for comparison reasons. I like to use it just to compare myself to other sites. I was at a PR6-7 before.

Connie Berg

Got this reply from Google, can you guys look around my site and see if you can find the problem for me?

"Hi Connie,

Your page has been blocked from our index because it does not meet the
    quality standards necessary to assign accurate PageRank. We cannot comment
    on the individual reasons your page was removed. However, certain actions
    such as cloaking, writing text in such a way that it can be seen by search
    engines but not by users, or setting up pages/links with the sole purpose
    of fooling search engines may result in permanent removal from our index.
    Please read our webmaster guidelines at
    http://www.google.com/webmasters/guidelines.html
    for more information."

A question I thought of:
    Could the iframe in the Amazon Easy Link on the bottom of my page be the problem?

I am stumped.

Connie Berg

Wow, that's a pretty non-descriptive email from them. The only thing I could possibly see is maybe their algo is seeing the white colored links (&lt;font color="#FFFFFF") as hidden since they are the same color as the background (&lt;body bgcolor="#FFFFFF") of the page? Even though those cells have different background colors. Its a long shot, but its the only thing I see.

ABW Ambassador
    Woah! I wouldn't have mailed them yet.. as.. a lot of big sites are seeing grey or whitebar... but.. damn. I'm shocked at their response...

That is the standard response I believe. They never give specifics.....

----
    -JM
    Banana Free in 2003. (and 2004, 2005, 2006, ...)

That's the exact canned response I got from google a couple of years ago when my sites were removed from google. I too have never figured out exactly what it was they decided I had done wrong. They are Nazis!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast