Smile Fun ways to build your brand
    Hey fellow merchants

I wanted to post some happy news and I figured this may help someone eventually.

First - PRWeb does work! I wrote my very first press release (ever) on Friday and uploaded it along with $30 (you can send free releases, but I wanted mine to get seen). Sunday a nice girl named Karla called me and gently informed me that my release sucked - and that I should strongly consider rewriting it. I bit my lip and did as I was told, after reading up on press releases.

The results (now Wednesday) are 6,068 journalists have read my press release! (wow! ) Not bad for the investment. That figure might even go up to around 10,000 by the end of the week (the way things are going).

The other thing that worked for me were google.com's ad words. It cost me all of 5 bucks to set up - and a day or two to get it right. 1,000 ad views so far (3 clicks - oh boy). Not good for sales - but good for branding (which helps affiliates! yaay!) My ad is #1 or #2 and I am not spending more than 46 cents a click. But as I mentioned - no one is clicking - so it should help brand - but as far as direct sales - this does not seem to be the way to go (for me at least).

These are down and dirty inexpensive ways to get your idea/name/message out to people, but it seems that there is no substitute for a good affiliate (nor would I want one - having been a salesman for 14 years).

Now for the not-so-good-news:

1,000 ad views + 6,000 journalists "reading" my press reease still = 0 sales = no money. But I still think it is good to brand. Anything that helps your affiliates has got to be good - right?

dusty

Hey Dusty,

You're right on about the branding. As a merchant with affilaites, you are doing exactly what a merchant should do....Leave the selling to your affiliates. With a branding campaign, you are supporting your affiliates by creating brand recognition so that they don't have to. They can focus on the direct response.

good luck!

Outsourced Program Manager Jorge - SHOPiMAR's Avatar
    PRWeb is great for exposure, but as you said mostly for branding, which is the idea.

I have used them before and planning to use them very soon again.

Smile
    Yaaay! Now all I need are some affiliates (oh! and an actual affiliate program)

... now where did I put that affiliate program (you can never find the one you are looking for when you need it the most)

I'm having a release go out pretty soon and I'm really curious about how it'll pan out. I have a very unique site that is one of a kind. I hope it can catch on and really start flying with this, but that may be too much to ask for.

- Scott
    Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

ooh ooh! Mistah Kottah!

Can I see? Can I see? Can I see?

if you can't list it here (rules?) send me an email! I wanna see!

ABW Ambassador
    has anyone ever made one penny off a PRWEB press release? Screw branding, because
    "10,000" journalists aren't reading it, 10,000 people just ignored it. Everyone I ever hear gets excited by all the reads, or downloads, or whatever imaginary word they have come up with to decribe people ignoring your article, so what. The end result should be an increase in sales, if not it is wasted money.

The only benefit is getting it into google news, but then you have to have a press release for terms people are searching on in the news - and even then your return is very, very low (or so I have found).

But someone prove me wrong, anyone?

As for non-clicked adword ads, so you write bad copy that doesn't get clicked, and you think that helps you? Guess you haven't gotten the little ad pull email from google yet...

If you ad was easy enough to ignore it and not click the first time, why do you think people will remember it and click later?

For most small merchants, traditional "Branding" is a big waste of time and money. Much better to spend your time making each encouter with actual customers the very best you can, so they remember you and tell your friends.

Chet

wow that hurt!
    ouch!

I think I just got flamed!

wow - you saw my ad? where?

ABW Ambassador
    No. You didn't get flamed, someone pointed out the fallacy of your points.

Be honest, how much are you willing to spend to not increase sales one cent?

Then look at your advice and ask yourself if it is good advice to follow.

I could have just said, "yeah, great job! Way to go! You are the bestest"! Would that have helped you? What kind of merchant are you that getting sales converted to clicks is worse than just having people look at your ad and not click? Can you see the problems with your basic ideas?

You should be concerned about making sales first and foremost, nothing else is going to feed your family.

Chet

ABW Ambassador
    Remember, an affiliate program will just drive more traffic, more targetted traffic hopefully, But it does not magically turn a site that does not convert, into a converter. If you can't make money off your own adword campaigns, then you aren't going to be able to make it off an affiliate program. You need a site that converts, that can afford to have people click and make purchases. Fix that issue first, then worry about the other stuff.

When you claim prweb works, what does it accomplish? If it didn't increase your sales, what did it accomplish? If adwords are not generating clicks and making sales, what are they accomplishing besides draining your bank account?

"but it didn't cost much" - then paypal me $20 instead of $30 and you save $10!

Chet

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    I think I just got flamed!
    Nah, he's certainly blunt, but if Chet *flames* you there'll be nothing left but vapor. Just ask any e-mail spammer or other lowlife...
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

Quote Originally Posted by chetf
    I could have just said, "yeah, great job! Way to go! You are the bestest"! Would that have helped you?

You should be concerned about making sales first and foremost, nothing else is going to feed your family.
    I couldn't have said it better, great, harsh but REAL ADVICE!
    Continued Success,

Haiko
    The secret of success is constancy of purpose ~ Disraeli

13. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread