lurk
    SEO article... great read on Google's secrets
    http://www.buzzle.com/editorials/6-10-2005-71368.asp

This talks about some things I never thought about that google uses in their algorythms to calculate PR.... for instance, they check how long your domain is registered for (1 year is more likely to be spam... longer is more credible). These are all facts from their patents, so they must be right.

thanks for the article.

So much to read, all of the time....

Popular opinion is that the items listed in the Gogle patent represent ideas that are implemented today as well as what they have come up with but may have tried in the past or may try in the future. You should not assume that every item in the Google patent is in use today.

Ross

My thinking maybe silly. I guess they have all the items listed but do not implement all at the same time. They can juggle or mix some around for each dance they carried out. They are trying to shake out those spam sites as many as possible.
    If we try too hard to look at how they effect their algorythms and PR our brain will pop out.

ABW Ambassador
    I liked the article, but I disliked the pop-ups they delivered. I'm not sure how they achieved it, because I have a pop-up blocker!

Quote Originally Posted by jrod805
    they check how long your domain is registered for (1 year is more likely to be spam... longer is more credible). ...
    OMG I hope its not a year.... How would any new site get indexed??

I can understand that they want creditable sites, but a year without any google traffic.

Does anyone know of evidence of this.... I heard it was more like 3-6 months before being index, but a year is a different story.

Quote Originally Posted by Gr_Sacc
    I liked the article, but I disliked the pop-ups they delivered. I'm not sure how they achieved it, because I have a pop-up blocker!
    Nothing poped up for me.... what's your popup blocker?.... im using proxomitron, FF, and google toolbar.

Quote Originally Posted by Kend
    OMG I hope its not a year.... How would any new site get indexed??

I can understand that they want creditable sites, but a year without any google traffic.
    As I understand it this is about for how long a period you have your domain registered. You can register your domain for one year at a time (=bad) or for say 9 years at one shot (=good).

It says nothing about the age of the domain, so if you just registered a new name and did it for a period of 5 years you should be fine.

Frank

lurk
    Yes that's right LearnAbout... think Kend misread. I agree with rmjvol and rmjvol about them not factoring in all those things, although it doesn't hurt to do it anyway.

There are some good points in the article, but it is on the bleeding edge of speculation. Like rmjvol said, just because it's in a patent does not mean it's in use. The primary purpose for a patent is to prevent others from using the concept. Many large companies have hundreds or thousands of patents that they never intend to use.

I personally do no buy into the idea that a one year registration might identify your site as a spam site. It could be used as just another indicator in a long list of indicators used to identify a site as a spam site.

It's good to lay out the possibilities introduced in new patents, but it would be a waste of time to focus on each until there is some evidence that it is in play.
    There's good, fast and cheap. Pick any two.
    [url=http://www.topranksolutions.com]Phoenix SEO[/url] :: [url=http://www.tech-evangelist.com/category/affiliate-marketing/]Affiliate Marketing Tutorials[/url]

lurk
    True Tech... but all the things listed weren't things that would harm you, so it's worth it just to go ahead and and do things like register for 2 years instead of 1 (you were going to reregister next year anyway) and if it DOES help then good, if not, then no loss.

Fair enough. I can't disagree with that. I have always registered or re-registered domains for 3 to 5 years anyway.

There are a lot of people who see an available domain and grab it for one year, just to see if they might use it. I wonder what percentage of one-year registrations are actually used by spammers. I would think that a large number of people using high-priced registrars, such as Network Solutions, would have more of a tendency to register domains on a year-to-year basis versus those using low-priced registrars, such as GoDaddy, who can register domains for multiple years at a much lower cost.

Google did recently become a registrar, and there is some speculation that they did so to get access to the WHOIS data. They could use that to determine registration periods. The current speculation is that they became a registrar so that they could determine the ownership relationship among groups of interlinked sites.

There is no place to hide. Big Brother is watching.
    There's good, fast and cheap. Pick any two.
    [url=http://www.topranksolutions.com]Phoenix SEO[/url] :: [url=http://www.tech-evangelist.com/category/affiliate-marketing/]Affiliate Marketing Tutorials[/url]

Quote Originally Posted by jrod805
    Yes that's right LearnAbout... think Kend misread. I agree with rmjvol and rmjvol about them not factoring in all those things, although it doesn't hurt to do it anyway.
    Yes, I did misread it. Thanks all

If i should register my domain name for ten years to keep from being penalized what do you think all the spammers are going to do ?

Action Jackson - King of the World
    I just renew my domains a year at a time.

ABW Ambassador
    I would renew my domains for longer periods just because it's easier than doing it every year. If it plays any part, it would be a mere drop in the bucket since the length of your domain registration has nothing to do with the relevancy of any given search. And i can't really see the SE's putting much into it.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    I reregister mine for a year at a time, only because I can't find out how to change that default at BulkRegister. (Yeah I know there's cheaper places, but they've worked well for me other than the irritating 1-year autorenew.)
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

lurk
    Keep in mind that even if it is factored into their algoyrythms, it doesn't mean it is as important as things like back links. I'm sure Google has over 100 different parameters that are used in the algorythm, some being more important than others and vise-versa.

18. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread