Unhappy Some Help???
    Ok I need a jumpstart... I've been doing the aff marketing thing for a few years and still only making peanuts at best. I have six sites, 4 shopping based and 2 are content based. From what I can see it looks like Yahoo is dumping anything related to affiliate shopping sites so I am turning more toward content sites. I have learned PHP, HTML, CSS, and some other stuff related to web development and building affiliate sites. At this point I only have a few hours a week available to work on affiliate sites or sites in general.

I am starting to get kinda peeved when I hear of people making thousands of dollars a month doing this and I am just covering my hosting costs. What am I doing wrong?? Do I just need to have more sites? Do I need to spend more time retooling the sites I have??

I don't view Affiliate Marketing as a get rich quick job but rather something I can do from home to make some money. I want to turn AM into a source of full time income. I don't mind doing the work but I want the rewards too.

Can any of you veterans offer me pointers of tips?

TIA,

Doug

Hey Doug,

What are your sites about? If you're not giving people something other than a shopping experience, then that may be your problem. You have to create a reason for folks to visit your site often enough to then advertise offers to them.

You also have to make sure your ads are relevant to your site audiences.

I could give you a mile-long list, but it would be easier to know what your site types are.
    Danay @ LunaSolMedia.com
    Global Perfomance Marketing. Global Niche Markets = Opportunity!
    HispanicYa!|MallFreebies

I dwell in possibility. ~Emily Dickinson

ABW Ambassador
    First thing, how is your traffic? If you're getting 100 people a day, i could understand peanuts. If you're getting thousands a day and not making money then there is another problem.

All my sites are under 100 uniques a day the 2 'populars sites' get between 60 and 80 visitors a day.

Hi simplistechs
    Just making peanuts, welcome too the club. I also have been doing this for a few years, and this year has just been brutal. I have 12 affiliate sites and 1 content site. My affiliate sites used to bring in 2-4 (5-6 at Christmas) thousand a month, and my one content site about half that. Today? My affiliate sites have pretty much disappeared on the search engines i.e. over 300000 unique visitors a month down to 20000 a month. Needless to say the commissions for these shopping sites which were once counted in the thousands are now counted in the hundreds if I am lucky. And yet my humble little content site still gets the same amount of visitors it got 4 years ago and still brings in the same revenue ($1000 a month and growing) So for me content is king!

If I want to keep doing this for a living, which I do then I have to put all of my energy into my content site. Which I am now doing, Low and behold, added a new section and visitors are up 25% the biggest increase I have seen in over 4 years! I think I have found my niche.

Quote Originally Posted by simplistechs
    What am I doing wrong?? Do I just need to have more sites? Do I need to spend more time retooling the sites I have??

Doug
    Hi Doug.

If your sites are new they may be suffering from the "sandbox" penalty. What that basically means is newer sites are not ranking in the top results for a period of time. No one knows for sure how long they stay in the "sandbox." I have read that some sites will not be put into the sandbox if the keywords are not the more competitive "money terms" - like jewelry, credit cards, travel, etc...

If they are in the sandbox, work on adding content and links in - you will just have to wait it out but then your pages will be ready to go when it is lifted.

What can you do -

Work on adding content that people will want to link to.

Submit your sites to the many directories out there - many will not ask for a link back. You can search for directories like this - keyword directory

Make sure your site navigation is good and your pages can be easily found. Your index page is basically a site map - make it a good one! Have your sections listed with a good description on what can be found at each. Repeat the process on each section with good keyword links to your pages and a description of what is on that page.

Make sure each page has a good keyword title. (instead of widgets - blue widgets, etc..)

Make sure your meta tag "content" has a good description. If there are a bunch of pages listed, often the one with a unique description will catch the searchers eye.

Find a niche - something you know or are interested in. Do the research and write. Write some more...

Work on back links and "similar theme" link exchanges. A Bakery might not want to link to another bakery - but they may link to a site about the breads of France, kitchen and recipe sites, etc.. Think out side the box and look for complementary links.

For your sales sites - do your own descriptions. Change it up a bit. Group things together - a pair of red shoes and maybe a red purse to match. Then if they don't like the shoes, they might like the purse or hat, etc...

Add adsense to all your content pages. They are going to leave sometime - make it a paid link out.

Keep your content fresh - maybe add a blog. You can easily add on topic content and product endorsements or comparisons. I like "wordpress" for an easy to use blog.

You don't necessarily need new sites - just make what you have better.
    It works for me

Good Luck!!
    Ebudae

Thats an excellent write up Ebudae

You might wanta cut and paste that in the newbie section, or maybe a mod will move this thread.

ok, I am new at this, so here is a question to make everyone laugh(remember when you were a beginner). Not to change the subject, but, what is the difference in affiliate sites and content sites?

I really feel like a newby, oh yeah, I am. I only have 1 site up right now(working on parking another 2), one I lost and am starting completely over again, Uhg! One is just an information site, and the other is a service site. I don't even make enough to cover my costs yet, but am very hopeful for the future. (crossing fingers)
    A learning experience, from loosing everything once already, I now keep back up disks of EVERYTHING!

Quote Originally Posted by kraftseye
    what is the difference in affiliate sites and content sites?
    lol, that is the 64 thou dollar question - much debated here.

I think in the strict sense a "content site" has mainly content with little to no ads. An Affiliate sales site is pure sales, none or very little "content."

But there are tons of variations:

Content sites with stores attached that have to do with the topic.

Content pages about a subject that also includes "on topic" things to buy on the page.

Pure sales pages with little more than a small description.

Pure sales pages with a description so good it counts as "content"

etc... and the list goes on....
    Ebudae

10. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread