Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    5 bar earnings in Commission Junction.
    Does anyone know the approximate threshold (ballpark) in commission or sales to go from 4 green bars to 5 as an affiliate?

15 years and counting
    It should be above $3K a month in commission, maybe $4K.

I think in the past it's been somewhere between $1500 to $2000.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

ABW Ambassador
    What Michael said, in that range, last time a few people posted seeing that. If you hit $2000 you should be at 5 bars. But that's subject to change.

15 years and counting
    CJ cleaned up a lot of inactive accounts a few months ago, so the threshold must be much higher now but you may be right, I don't have the exact figures.

My memory may be failing, but I don't think I had 5 bars till I was doing about 6K to 7K per month.

I wouldn't be surprised if the threshold was approx. 66% lower nowadays, considering the EPC dives that were brought about by various CJ "upgrades".

It means diddly squat

Well my sites have nose-dived in traffic and while still maintaining a 5 bar ranking for over 5 years. Certain times I had over 10K made. Now my earnings droped into the 500 or less range and it's 4 bars. I would say that CJ's ranking system is more of a way of making even the little guys feel good... Well little guys, do you feel good? Go ahead make my day.

Don't want anyones feelings hurt I guess. That's why their on the Left Coast.

I would like to see a real ranking system that was published. So the affiliates would know what it takes to get to a certain bar. Nothing like a little incentive.

Full of poop and lost the scoop,

Poopie

Quote Originally Posted by Poopie Nubert
    I would like to see a real ranking system that was published. So the affiliates would know what it takes to get to a certain bar. Nothing like a little incentive.
    Not a bad idea! I doubt it would happen, though. I think it would reveal more than CJ wants to have revealed. Plus, it could be demotivating if, for instance, you learned that 70% of the active affiliates don't even earn enough to get a check.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

It's somewhere between $1000 & $2000/month - I know ths because after months of having bad times at cj I went back to the 1k-2k at cj and got back up to 5 bars - last month I went under 1k again and went back down to 4 bars.
    Heidi
    "Happy are those who dream dreams and are willing to pay the price to make them come true"

Quote Originally Posted by IrraCo
    Does anyone know the approximate threshold (ballpark) in commission or sales to go from 4 green bars to 5 as an affiliate?
    It's a percentile calculation. Five bars is at the 95th percentile and above in terms of total network earnings. They have a description of this at CJU online. Since it's a percentile there is no threshhold per see -- it will move each month as affiliate business moves. And, according to their verbiage they exclude affiliates with no activity.
    Dennis Duffy
    Slavin' over a hot keyboard for nickels & dimes ... and nobody understands what I do.

Quote Originally Posted by Heidi
    It's somewhere between $1000 & $2000/month - I know ths because after months of having bad times at cj I went back to the 1k-2k at cj and got back up to 5 bars - last month I went under 1k again and went back down to 4 bars.

Which really dosen't tell merchants a whole lot about the kind of affiliate results they can expect.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelColey
    Not a bad idea! I doubt it would happen, though. I think it would reveal more than CJ wants to have revealed. Plus, it could be demotivating if, for instance, you learned that 70% of the active affiliates don't even earn enough to get a check.
    Mike you hit it right on the head... CJ does not want the merchant to know very much... just enough to keep them paying the fees. Can you imagine the count of affiliates for 5 bars if it was at the $20k level to achieve? It would leave just too many others at the 1, 2 or 3 level which would not impress the big merchants.

Gotta put on a good dog and pony show for the merchants to show up.

More Poop for the Day!

Allen
    Signup Now for our KiteandWind affiliate program exclusivly at Shareasale.
    * 7% + Bonus - 365 return days
    * 2nd Tier Signup Bonus - Parasite Free - Auto Deposit Merchant
    * Free Datafeed - PopShops- Performance Cash Bonus

CJ ranking is hilarious
    I find this thread amusing because I find CJ ranking hilarious.

The most money I've ever made with CJ in one month was in the range of mid $100 and that gave me FOUR bars. Even when that dropped below $100 the next month, I still had FOUR bars. I was at FOUR bars for a few months with less than $100 monthly income. However, my EPC was pretty high.

I've been pretty steady with THREE bars which is enough to get me a cheque every month - that means around $25. Once, maybe twice, I was just under $25 and didn't get paid and I dropped to two bars.

This month I've made a total of $14.44 with CJ and I still have THREE bars. LOL I can't believe I made more in LS!

CJ bar ranking? BIG DEAL!

I sure don't care about it. The only thing that matters to me is my own bottomline, which obviously doesn't revolve around the big networks but still earns me a decent living.

Catwoman

Quote Originally Posted by Catwoman
    I find this thread amusing because I find CJ ranking hilarious.

The most money I've ever made with CJ in one month was in the range of mid $100 and that gave me FOUR bars. Even when that dropped below $100 the next month, I still had FOUR bars. I was at FOUR bars for a few months with less than $100 monthly income. However, my EPC was pretty high.

I've been pretty steady with THREE bars which is enough to get me a cheque every month - that means around $25. Once, maybe twice, I was just under $25 and didn't get paid and I dropped to two bars.

This month I've made a total of $14.44 with CJ and I still have THREE bars. LOL I can't believe I made more in LS!

CJ bar ranking? BIG DEAL!

I sure don't care about it. The only thing that matters to me is my own bottomline, which obviously doesn't revolve around the big networks but still earns me a decent living.

Catwoman
    now I don't feel so bad about my own CJ earnings.

The threshold between 2-bar and 3-bar and the threshold 3-bar and 4-bar are fairly low, but the threshold between 4-bar and 5-bar is much more challenging for most. By definition, only 5% of active affiliates hit 5-bar.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com

Quote Originally Posted by Herb ԿԬ
    now I don't feel so bad about my own CJ earnings.
    Ditto.

Catwoman and Herb ԿԬ,

Now I feel better too about those green bars, thanks.

I guess we're not alone on this one.

The bottomline is what realy matters after all.

Affiliate/AM Moonlighter dflsports's Avatar
    I used to be a 5 bar kind of guy, not anymore Things are looking up but after passing $2000 for this month, still only 4 bars. So who knows how they calculate the bar system.

Talking
    Quote Originally Posted by dflsports
    I used to be a 5 bar kind of guy, not anymore Things are looking up but after passing $2000 for this month, still only 4 bars. So who knows how they calculate the bar system.
    I have enough trouble going from the first bar to the second. Probably spent too much time in the first one.

It's only updated once a month, based on the previous month's numbers, so if you had a big increase this month it won't be reflected until next month.

Your Network Earnings ranking shows how you rate with other publishers in the network based on the volume of commissions earned. You are ranked in an apples to apples comparison with all publishers by taking each publisher's total commissions (regardless of currency) and then converting that total (if necessary) to US dollars. After each publisher's commission total amount has made this conversion to a common currency (USD), the ranking is established.

Ranked using a bar graph system, the Network Earnings are based on a scale of zero-5 bars. Publishers earning zero commissions are excluded from the overall calculation and given a blank rating. The ranking is calculated relative to the entire network based on commissions earned by publishers during the previous month. The specific bar graph ranking is as follows:

Your Network Earnings ranking shows how you rate with other publishers in the network based on the volume of commissions earned. You are ranked in an apples to apples comparison with all publishers by taking each publisher's total commissions (regardless of currency) and then converting that total (if necessary) to US dollars. After each publisher's commission total amount has made this conversion to a common currency (USD), the ranking is established.

Ranked using a bar graph system, the Network Earnings are based on a scale of zero-5 bars. Publishers earning zero commissions are excluded from the overall calculation and given a blank rating. The ranking is calculated relative to the entire network based on commissions earned by publishers during the previous month. The specific bar graph ranking is as follows:

[img]http://help.cj.com/en/lo*@))p/Net_Earn.jpg[/img]
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com

15 years and counting
    I would like to see an improvement to the actual ranking system without changing it.
    Once you reach the 5 bar level, you have no more incentive and the 5 bar level is way too wide. You can make from $5K to $100K without seeing a difference. (if you don't look at your bank account)
    I'll like to see a subdivision of the 5 bar level like, 5.1, 5.2, 5.3, 5.4, 5.5 related to the last 5th percentile.
    Or 4 green bars with one gold, 3 green bars with two gold bars... up to 5 gold
    Should be fairly easy to implement and don't reveal too much. Gold was CJ color before their CJ6 update.

Having five bars is something similar to having the title "Vice President" when working for a big bank. You might be doing something substantial or you might be one step above a teller.

I think one bar should cover up to the 90th percential, two bars up to the 95th, three bars up to the 98th, four bars up to the 99th and five bars above the 99th.

The substantial differentiation occurs above the 95th percential today but it's masked because once you get above the $3,000 or so level everyone's lumped together from $3k to $30k and above.
    Dennis Duffy
    Slavin' over a hot keyboard for nickels & dimes ... and nobody understands what I do.

Yeah, but it would be very de-motivational for the 90% that would become "1-bar" affiliates.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com

Yeah, but it would be very de-motivational for the 90% that would become "1-bar" affiliates.
    But remember, most of the 90% are already "1-bar" affiliates. And let's assume for the sake of this discussion that at atmosphere of leadership exists within CJ that pro-actively communicates changes in a way that lays out:

1. Here's what we're changing and why and how it work.
    2. We've made the change.
    3. Remember, here's the change we just made and here's why and here's how it works.

So, if we can live in the land of the hypothetically effective corporate leadership and accept that perhaps the above can happen, then we're on our way to change.

Then, within the upper five bars there is a stronger sense of "discrimination" (in the statistical sense, not the social sense). As we see in this thread there are many who feel the bars are a joke. And there is a sense of confusion about the bars that I suspect pervades the affiliate population (including the majority that are not looking at this forum).

And, perhaps it would be good for CJ to send a "newlstter" that outlined some of the basic nuts and bolts (like the essence of this thread) that may be more helpful than providing superficial fad info about blogs, RSS and geo-targeting.

Or ... not.
    Dennis Duffy

I don't see why this would be de-motivational for anyone. I would think that everyone works to make more money, not to have more bars in CJ. What motivates you? What is your goal? You want to make more money just so you can have 5 bars with CJ, or make more money just because you want to make more money regardless of how many bars you have or what color they are? Quite frankly, if I made more money, I wouldn't care about the bars, take them all away and I won't give a rat's behind.

Having 4-5 bars may be a bonus for those who care about it, it might give you more options with merchants and/or higher commissions. In that case, most affiliates are much better off with the current system the way it is. Change it and your benefits might disappear, unless you find yourself at the very top. You know "you have to be careful what you ask for, you just might get it".

Affiliates are not successful because they have 5 bars, they have 5 bars because they are successful. Besides, the whole world doesn't revolve around CJ ya know.

I see the bars I have every month. It tells me how many people don't make money with CJ! Pretty sad if you ask me considering they're supposed to be a large, "trusted" 3rd party network with tens of thousands of affiliates. I earn peanut shells with CJ, sometimes I even get the peanut with it, and "my" bars don't accurately represent the kind of affiliate I really am. And I'm sure that is true for hundreds, maybe even thousands, of others as well.

I agree that CJ could send out better newsletters, something that could actually "teach" many people something new, like their ranking system. Guaranteed that thousands of affiliates have no clue what those green (or white) bars are.

Or how to analyze a merchant's performance before joining. Leader had the best post on this subject quite a while back. Many people HERE didn't even know!

Or where to find a merchant's affiliate agreement.

Or, or, or...

That's another reason I don't work with CJ much, I can't find anything. Their support don't bother to answer. Used it a couple of times, nothing ever happened, so I never bothered again. Maybe it's because I don't have enough bars, so I don't count.

Catwoman

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by Catwoman
    The most money I've ever made with CJ in one month was in the range of mid $100 and that gave me FOUR bars.
    one of my cj accounts currently earning next to nothing has three bars. and get this, it's EPC is ten times greater than the account earning thousands in commish.

help
    I am one of those inactive users because I never received an email that I was accepted by the company (in this case, Carbonite), so I want to reactivate and I guess Carbonite is very strict and now says I can't reactivate unless I have at least 3 bars. I do I even get to three bars if I can't start making money?
    Help please!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast