Tried Link Cloaker or Link Cloner??
    Has anyone tried either of these products to help hide their affiliate links?
    If so, which one is better or is there a better one than these out there?

Do they hurt your sites SEO?

Thanks.
    leeann

Shoppers determine what has value and they like coupons. Stop manipulating who set the cookie just because you do not like coupon and promotional sites.

Talking
    Quote Originally Posted by leeann
    Has anyone tried either of these products to help hide their affiliate links?
    If so, which one is better or is there a better one than these out there?

Do they hurt your sites SEO?

Thanks.
    I ran a test with encrypted links on one of my sites and it didn't help me out in SE ranking at all if that's what you're trying to do.

I'll tell you what helped me out the most.

I used both the Google and MSN free search engines on my sites and you would not believe how many people used them. I guess people are to lazy to look for what they want by clicking around on your site.

They want to search and find the exact product that they want without much hassel.

The problem with those two search engines was that it takes them months to deep crawl the sites because they have thousands of pages. Therefore, the search results for my sites probably contained less than 1/3 of what was actually on the sites.

So - I removed both Google and MSN and installed the Fluid Dynamics search engine on all of my sites.

It is free - you can customize the search results page to match your site and the best thing you can do is you can call up it's admin page and tell it to recrawl and index your site anytime you want it to.

It is installed on your server at your website, and it will ask you if you want it to automatically install it's self. I told it yes and it was up and running in under 5 minutes.

I have different sites with different merchants and products. When one of my customers looks for a product on one site and can't find it it used to just be to bad even though I had the product on another one of my sites.

I find out that not only will it crawl the site it is installed on but you can also have the crawler go to and index any or all of your sites besides the one that it is installed on and guess what - if you tell it to crawl all of your sites a search on any one of your sites will produce search results for all of your sites and if the product your customer wants is on any of your sites it's page will come up in the search results and you will make a whole lot more sales.

I belive this has worked out a whole lot better for me than trying encryption.

I don't know if this will help you out or not but it sure helped me out.

See Ya.

I see you're here leeann - Is this what you're trying to do - get better SE ranking??

Thanks for the information. I'll look into Fluid Dynamics. The main reason I was taking a look at the cloaker/cloners was so that the affl. link did not show to visitors or hijackers. I really don't know if it helps or not as an anti-affiliate-theft deterrent. I'm thinking that it may be a dated approach and may cause problems with search engine ranking. Thanks!

Thank you
    leeann

Shoppers determine what has value and they like coupons. Stop manipulating who set the cookie just because you do not like coupon and promotional sites.

Talking
    I don't know if you have a search engine on your site now or not but it will increase your sales a lot by having one on your site.

Talking about link hijacking - I have been online for five years now and I have never caught or found any of my links being hijacked.

Either I've been very lucky - and I'm not a very lucky person - or The chances of having your links hijacked are not as great as some people would have you to believe.

Here is the link for the Fulid Dynamics search engine if you would like to check it out.

http://www.xav.com/

Quote Originally Posted by BurgerBoy
    Talking about link hijacking - I have been online for five years now and I have never caught or found any of my links being hijacked.http://www.xav.com/
    I don't know how to tell if I've had the problem or not really. How do you catch someone doing it? If it is being done w/ parasite cookies over riding your cookie, you can eventually figure out who is doing it I suppose (maybe). But a link cloaker won't help that scenario anyway.

Maybe I just answered my own question

I checked out the search engine. I like the way it works. Thanks for the info.!
    leeann
    leeann

Quote Originally Posted by BurgerBoy
    I don't know if you have a search engine on your site now or not but it will increase your sales a lot by having one on your site.

Here is the link for the Fulid Dynamics search engine if you would like to check it out.

http://www.xav.com/
    BurgerBoy,

Thanks a bunch for your post! I've been looking for a search engine that I could install without hurting myself You were right...Fluid Dynamics installed quicky and was easy to get running. Now I hope you are right about increased sales.

Sorry Leanne, I had to respond about the search engine. I don't use cloaked links myself and don't know much about them. Hopefully one of the gurus here will get us all up to speed.
    Travelin' Man

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will lead you there." -- unknown

The Fluid Dynamic Search Engine sounds great, but I don't understand CGI or Perl. How much do I need to know in order to use this search engine?

Talking
    Quote Originally Posted by justsue
    The Fluid Dynamic Search Engine sounds great, but I don't understand CGI or Perl. How much do I need to know in order to use this search engine?
    Nothing at all.

Tell it to install automatically and it will install it's self without you doing anything.

After it installs it's self it will tell you how to access the admin page.

I printed that page out in case I screwed up so that I could log in to the admin page just by typing in the url to it.

I logged into the admin page and where it asked what site to crawl I put in the url for my site and it crawled and indexed every page in the site.

On your web page where you want your search box - I inserted the following into my html.

<form method="get" action="http://url of your web site/search/search.pl" target="_blank"> Remove target="_blank if you don't want to open new frame
    <table border=".5" cellpadding="4" cellspacing="1" align="center">
    <tr>
    <td bgcolor="#F4F8FF" style="border: 1px ridge #808080; padding: 4px">
    <p align="center"><b>
    <font face="sans-serif" color="#000080">Search Site</font></b></p>
    <table align="center" border="0" cellpadding="2">
    <tr>
    <td valign="middle"><tt>
    <input value name="Terms" size="10" style="sans-serif" id="fdse_Terms"></tt></td>
    <td valign="middle" align="left">
    <input type="submit" class="submit" value="Go">
    </td>
    </tr>
    </table>
    </td>
    </tr>
    </table>
    </form>

Where you see size="10" you can change the 10 to anything that you want. The higher the number - the wider the search box. The lower the number the narrower the search box.

You can also change the background color of the search form buy just changing color="whatever color you want"

If you want the button to say search or search site or whatever instead of - go - where it says value="go" change go to whatever you want the search button to say.

BurgerBoy,
    How do you (or can you) have the search results appear in your site template or do you have to go w/ the page that comes with the installation?

Thanks,
    leeann

Talking
    Quote Originally Posted by leeann
    BurgerBoy,
    How do you (or can you) have the search results appear in your site template or do you have to go w/ the page that comes with the installation?

Thanks,
    leeann - If I remember right they have a forum with a link to it from the admin page.

Go to the forum and they discuss how to do that.

If the forum link is not on the admin page then it is on the site where you orginally went to get the search engine.

My Coffee's Cold, Go Figger
    Morning People #coffee

12. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread