An Old Post Revisited - target=new - good or bad?
    Cheesehead posted this in 2003. I was wondering if things have changed over the years and what the opinions are about opening a new window w/ each link?

Original Post -
    "I have heard that if your link opens a new window, your page can get killed by a pop-up killer. Is this true? It seems like better sense to open a new window (target = new) if you have a lot more stuff to offer on your site. In cases where there isn't more (like single page ad-pages) I set the target frame to the same page." (End of quote)
    -----
    Thanks.
    leeann

Shoppers determine what has value and they like coupons. Stop manipulating who set the cookie just because you do not like coupon and promotional sites.

Marketing Mistress Lectrickitty's Avatar
    I'm wondering also, so I'll be keeping a eye on this thread.

http and a telephoto
    I am pretty sure that target new or target blank are ok, as long as you have to click to open the window. Pop up blockers block pops that don't originate with a click, and they block some Java pops even when you click.

I am sure someone will correct me if I am wrong
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

I've always used target=_blank for any external links on my site. I've never had a problem.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Proxomitron, which is a proxy, will alter the html that is sent to the browser - similar to all of the pop-up blockers and such. But, proxomitron has alot more power in that you can add new filters and such --- so you could suppress target=_blank (dont know why you would want to).

Im sure the % of people that would actually take the time to do it is VERY small. Also, you need to have a PC/Programming background/knowlege to code the filter. So your normal surfer wouldnt even know of such a product.

6. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread