Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Unhappy Are you addicted to your PC?
    My computer usually comes on about 3 seconds after I get out of bed. I go to the bathroom, make my breakfast and then I start working while eating my brekkie. I'll often work on my websites for about six or seven hours then, without a break. I mean no break whatsoever: don't go to the bathroom, not even grab a packet of crisps or an apple. Continue to be glued to the PC until way past midnight. Even flogged my TV 'cos it used to sometimes keep me away from my work.

I was speaking to an affiliate and he too was telling me he switches the computer on the minute he gets up. I was wondering how common it was. I know some of the 'super affiliates' (I hate that phrase!) work damn hard, but they also manage to have a work-life balance. Can't tell you how much I admire them.

For a while now I've realised that I'm literally addicted to my work, but have not worried about it because I haven't seen it is as being anything too negative ('better to be addicted to work than the bottle' kind of mentality).

I know I'm not doing it for the money because I have fairly simple needs. Because I'm on the PC 80-90 hours a week, I don't even get the time or opportunity to spend what I earn. It's more the sense of challenge I reckon: building a new website and making it succeed when there's so much competition around. A client just rang me now to say that a site I built for him is number 1 in MSN and Yahoo: that gives me such a buzz.

Also, I feel this weird sense of obligation to my own sites' visitors: have these content rich sites which have to be updated regularly and, even though the sites don't earn much, I feel that I have to continue updating the content to provide them with a good service. They have been around for several years and I feel this obligation to keep the sites going...

I'm trying to do something about it and am employing more and more people. But that creates yet more problems: managing others is time-consuming too. I think it's a psychological thing. Even if I was to take time off from the computer, I can't relax. The idea of sitting on the beach or watching footy (which I used to love) or even dating a woman doesn't appeal to me: they're a "waste of time".

Incidentally, is nothing new personality trait. I have always had an 'addictive personality' and found it hard to relax. E.g. would study day and night in my teenage years - did seven 'A' levels.

Well, before I go on and on, I just wanted to ask if there were any other affiliates who had such a way of thinking and what they intended to do about it. PM me, as maybe we can help each other.

I've tried talking about it to people in the 'real world', but they just don't get it. Tried telling a friend a while back and she told me how she was in the same position and had to stay in the office an hour extra once a week. Obviously, it's not the same. There's a big difference between a person who has to stay in the office an hour or two extra once in a while and the kind of person who sits on the PC 10 to 14 hours in a day 7 days a week and then, even though he's shattered, can't go to sleep because he is lying in bed thinking of new domain names or niches to exploit.

Am wasting away my life on the computer - these balmy summer days - and don't know what I can do. Any advice would be most welcome. Feel embarrassed to go the doctor + my GP is not very good and the five minutes you get with her are not sufficient to explain my issue. Maybe I should see a therapist to talk through the addiction? Or would there be a better way to tackle this issue?
    Last edited by Azam; June 19th, 2005 at 06:11 AM.

I don't understand: you turn your computer off?

Quote Originally Posted by Azam.com
    Maybe I should see a therapist to talk through the addiction? Or would there be a better way to tackle this issue?
    I know a good website that offers computer addiction therapy - like a 12-step program Of course it's a bit like having an AA meeting inside a bar but... :-)
    leeann

Shoppers determine what has value and they like coupons. Stop manipulating who set the cookie just because you do not like coupon and promotional sites.

If you get a laptop, you can take it to the bathroom with you.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Actually you do sound like it is a serious problem for you. I don't mean to make light of it. Do you belong to a health club or anything? If you have a scheduled event away from the computer that you make a commitment to doing you may find it helps. Physical activity can help the body, mind and spirit. Sometimes it feels like you're being force fed but if you keep to it - it may help. But of course - I don't know if I'd listen to a word I have to say - I've been on/off this thing for 18 hours now!
    leeann

Shoppers determine what has value and they like coupons. Stop manipulating who set the cookie just because you do not like coupon and promotional sites.

From http://www.wordreference.com/definition/addiction

addiction
    A noun
    1 addiction
    (Roman law) a formal award by a court sentence of a thing or person to another (as of a debtor to his creditor); a surrender to a master; "under Roman law addiction was the justification for slavery"

2 addiction
    an abnormally strong craving

3 addiction, dependence, dependency, habituation
    being abnormally tolerant to and dependent on something that is psychologically or physically habit-forming (especially alcohol or narcotic drugs)

My computer is never off either, but I do make time for my family. Especially evenings and weekends are for my kids, although I take my palm Tungsten C (wireless) anywhere I go.

I tried a few days without internet access some time ago during a family holiday, pure torture that was

that made me laugh

Anyway on the other hand.

my brothers son, who is only 17.
    has not been out the house for 6 months !..
    yes he is the same, he cant get of his P.C
    he looks after many websites and has his own geek forum.
    though he is in the U.K most of his time spent on it, is at night.
    as his forum is mostly americans.

my brother is getting concerned about it,
    as its not right that 17 year old boy does not leave the house.
    its not healthy.
    i think you need to get some help..Honest.
    Find us at shareasale.com 12% commission
    Shareasale Merchant 7191
    PLAZAN SKIN CARE As seen on TV . Used by Jennifer Lopez

Make time for some other things! The world (and your websites) will keep spinning around if you get away from your computer for a while.
    Tim
    consultant by day, affiliate by night

The idea of sitting on the beach or watching footy (which I used to love) or even dating a woman doesn't appeal to me: they're a "waste of time".
    all I can say is you're hooked lke the rest of us affiliate junkies....

you'll get past this... we all do...

I do worry about this and so does your mom...

'even dating a woman doesn't appeal to me: they're a "waste of time".
    I know when I first stated to earn serious money from my websites I was the same way... my wife was gone on a work assignment and I had not much else to "amuse" myself with... I got hooked bad!

at some point you unplug the IV, press the off button and step away the side effects of withdrawal will ease with time...

Go smell the flowers, meet a lady... (dont talk shop!!!!!) unless, you're luckly enough to meet Miss "Perfect" an female affiliate junkie... then you can enjoy Utopian Bliss...

A babe under one arm and your laptop under the other...

JOe
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    that's my2cents, 'cuz I'm a legend in my own mind....

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    As for an addiction to the PC? YES! I hear you!
    But addiction to w*rk?!? No, never. PCs were practically made, for games! Hours and hours and hours of games...and talking on ABW.
    Productive stuff is something I do so that I can get back to playing games and talking on ABW without waking up on Cardboard Box Avenue or having to eat Krap macaroni and cheese.

Am wasting away my life on the computer - these balmy summer days - and don't know what I can do.
    I hear you, but I don't know of any cure. I think the closest I'll get is to move to a place where ALL the days are "balmy" and "summer." That way, at least I won't feel like I've "missed the season."

Also it helps to ignore, as best you can, ununderstanding people who try to make you feel guilty/sad/bad over staying in.

its not right that 17 year old boy does not leave the house.
    its not healthy
    You bring back memories of my youth! I heard lots of that stuff when I was that age.
    Tell him not to worry, yet. The muscles don't seize up until about 30! (It sounds like I'm trying to be funny, but I did notice I had a lot more problem with needing to exercise at that point. At 17 staying inside didn't bother my health a bit. [to the best of my knowledge...]

"Going out" was never something I liked doing much, either. I think it's highly overrated. Once you've seen the scenery for a few minutes, then what~? Granted, the scenery can be pretty, but even so...
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

>>>Granted, the scenery can be pretty, but even so...

so I pack along a digital camera for that, then put pictures on my desktop background.

Troll Killer and best Snooper!
    I decide when the pigs fly!
    Nah, I'm not addicted to my PC.

It, however, has a terrible crush on me.

Outsourced Program Manager Jorge - SHOPiMAR's Avatar
    Nothing wrong with you Azam. Take a look, it's Sunday and see how many of us are/will be here. Although, you should not spend that many hours straight in front of the pc, bad for your back, wrists and brain.

When you spend a few hours away from the pc each day it will help clear thoughts and when you get back on, your sites will look even better.

Making work-life balance is a must, spend some time with close family too, its important.

Have you seen those recent internet commercials where they say: "I work 4 hours a week and make $2,000.00/Mo".

That could be you next.

Are you addicted I say no. I use to be like that now I schedule an hour everyday to stop and smell the roses. Life is too short. What you need is better time management. Yesterday I was under my boat(paid for by my websites) using the powerwasher on the bottom. Ok the whole time I was thinking I should have a powerwasher website but thats ok. I got to watch the kids playing football in the yard, the neighbor fighting with the mailman and the 2 hot women that were sunning themselves in bikinis across the waterway from me. Not one time did I wonder if I should have a bikini website although thats what I am thinking now lol. Time management is what its all about.

Vinny
    Vinny O'Hare - OPM - Contact Info email: vinny at teamloxly.com ~ 702-582-6742 Twitter

http and a telephoto
    Quote Originally Posted by Herb ԿԬ
    I don't understand: you turn your computer off?
    That was my first thought too!!!!! lol

And I can't live without my laptop and Skype. I don't have a cell phone, but I have Skype out! See me at the airport talking to my headset.....

Jet Blue has free wifi, McCarrin Airport in Las Vegas has free wifi, oh wait, am I getting off topic? What was the question?

The beauty of our jobs is that we can work like demons for several days or weeks, and then take a few days or a week OFF and still make money.

Yesterday (and all of last week) I was in photography mode, today I woke up in link building site building mode, tomorrow I may head out to a local park and be in photography mode again.

Who knows? Flexibility, gotta love it (waiting for the male hormonal responses to that comment )
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

http and a telephoto
    Go smell the flowers, meet a lady... (dont talk shop!!!!!) unless, you're luckly enough to meet Miss "Perfect" an female affiliate junkie... then you can enjoy Utopian Bliss...
    I try NOT to talk shop, but ya know what? Shop talk is my life right now, lolol. Well I have lots of different "shops" to talk about, so talking shop can be about aff marketing, photography, my galleries, cats, lol.

And I actually met people last week that like talking about all of the above!!!!!

Who knew?
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

Yup I'm computer addict Since I missed spending time outside too during the nice weather months, I bought myself a laptop this spring and on the great days I take it outside, hook it up, enjoy the weather, wander my gardens, pull some weeds, go back to the computer, do more work or play. My pool will be opened tomorrow - then I will take breaks to cool off in the pool and then back to the laptop in my outside office

I bring my digital camera outside with me also, let my cats out in the fenced in area around my pool - get lots of wonderful pictures of the cats, flowers and my pond - I can watch my koi & goldfish swimming around where I sit too. The birds I think have figured out that the cats can't get out of the fenced in area, so they harass the hell out of the cats - I have 2 frogs living in my pond - they freak every time I walk by when they are sunning themselves.

Yup I'm a computer addict, but one who also takes time to enjoy the little things in life. Kids are done with school now - so they too will come out and visit me while I'm working, or swim in the pool so we will have good family time while I work/play outside on my laptop.

Life is grand when your affiliate marketer who can do what you want, when you want with no alarm clocks, bosses etc! I wouldn't trade this addiction for the world - LOL
    Heidi
    "Happy are those who dream dreams and are willing to pay the price to make them come true"

Well I have an excuse for my addiction! In Arizona it's just too damn hot to venture outdoors during the summer, so I curl up with my PC in my nice air-conditioned office and we create as many webpages as we can all day. I'd say affiliate marketing is much like gambling really - you know you should walk away before it consumes you, but you just can't. To me it's more of a challenge than an addiction I think as I enjoy being creative and it keeps my brain active. And if I make some money at the same time, what the heck! Bring it on!

ABW Ambassador
    Working all day on the computer had taken some adjustment at the beginning. Growing up when i got home from school, i went outside and played all day. The job i quit before doing this, i was on my feet moving 95% of the time. Now this. Had back pain for the first time in my life, due to sitting in my chair all day and putting on 35 pounds in 1 year 185 - 220. I'd like to say i'm reaching my new years goal of getting back into playoff shape, back down to 195, no more back pain My gf keeps me in line as far as too much time on the computer, gotta keep a happy home. I think it's good to take some time off, get outside, get some fresh air, i feel i'm more productive that way. One of the things i love about this if you do this for a living is no schedule and all the free time you have but you can get caught up and not take advantage of it.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelColey

My friend (who flies to Japan almost every week) says that they have been working seriously on developing "body armor" style computers. Apparently the computer mounts on your back (like a backpack) and your left arm is fitted into some kind of sleeve that has a keyboard (you type with your right hand) and the monitor flips upfrom that.

I'll see if I can get a pic.

If this is true then your computer will never leave you (unlike my ex-girlfriend who complained about being a "computer widow"). You know... if they ever design computers that look like women we will all be in serious trouble - because we will never bother to leave the house for work, groceries...
    Oooh! I have a signature! :yellowsmi
    Thanks webmaster!

Smile
    Heck yes, you are addicted, so are the rest of us. You are in good company so I say just go with the flow.

Talking
    Being addicted to a computer can make you money.

Being addicted to women can only make you lose money - unless you're a pimp.

Quote Originally Posted by dustywhite

Apparently the computer mounts on your back (like a backpack) and your left arm is fitted into some kind of sleeve that has a keyboard (you type with your right hand) and the monitor flips upfrom that.
    Now that is sick. Where can I get one?
    leeann

Quote Originally Posted by BurgerBoy
    Being addicted to a computer can make you money.

Being addicted to women can only make you lose money - unless you're a pimp.

But...

Money can't buy you love, maybe sex, but not love.

And...

A woman can make you happy, even if you're broke.

One needs a proper mix of work and flower smelling. Otherwise, mental ruts will occur or the world will end and you'll never know what hit ya.

My computer is never off. I work off and on throughout the day and night. But I go out a lot. Got to refocus the eyes on something far away.
    Luke
    Have you promoted your brand name today?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast