Web Ho - Design B!tch ~Michelle's Avatar
    Footlockers Return Days = Joke
    Has anyone noticed Footlocker's return days? They are laughable!

Their regular offer has return days of .167

Their June offer has return days of .958

I have been having a dialogue with them concerning how to get their program to convert for me since they are a non-performer on my site.

When the new offer came out, I suggested they up their return days to a reasonable level.

Their response?

I usually extend a private offer with return days after a couple of months of increased sales activity.

I will watch your account in the next month and contact you then.
    Hmmmmmm. lets see... You are a non-performing merchant on my site. You express concern about that. I offer you some advice on how to get better return on your program all around, and you tell me you only 'reward' with more return days once an affiliate has increased sales. Logically, longer return days beyond less than a day will get some sites performing much better, but you can't get them unless you perform better.

Does this not make much sense to anyone else?
    Last edited by ~Michelle; June 19th, 2005 at 12:48 PM.
    ~Michelle
    "All I ask is a chance to prove that money can't make me happy."
    "Work to become, not to acquire." -- Confucius

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Translation.... BHO's need no darn return day cookies ...why should you?
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

Tell them to take a hike and pick up CJ shoe merchants with 30 return days or more. They want free branding and free sales and only want to pay for sales they decide to pay for.

No doubt they pay more for sales from other channels (if you factor out the sales from paid search on Footlocker brand terms) and if they are that cheap they don't deserve any attention from the affiliate channel.

There was a Commscore study that showed up to 90% of sales from paid search take place off-line, Jupiter put out a study that found people typically click on up to six search listings before buying. The stats are probably similar for ad on affiliate sites.

Merchants with physical stores get a trememndous value from online advertising in the search and affiliate channel and its about time affiliates simply stopped promoting merchants that don't put out an offer that is even close to being reasonable.

just another Catch-22

I've been around the block with them. They feel all superior and entitled and all that, like they're doing you a favor by allowing you a lottery-hit chance of getting a commission that is lower than the industry standard in the first place.

Other shoe merchants with 120-day cookies have the same brands at the same or lower price.

F**K Footlocker. You don't need them.

I applied to Foot Locker once a long time ago and was not accepted. I got one of those standard rejection e-mails at the time. Is it worth it to try to work with them? How are their conversions?

Thanks

marcelle

I honestly wonder why Linkshare doesn't set some sort of minimum threshold.

Marcelle; I gave them a short go about a year ago, just to see if conversions would be OK in spite of the skinflint cookie duration, thinking that perhaps their brand presence may instill confidence in potential buyers. A pretty fair number of clicks each day for a month resulted in 0 sales. Switched the links back to another merchant (who I had switched away from to try out Footlocker) and daily sales resumed as before.

edited to add: memory is kicking in; I vaguely remember now that I may have gotten ONE sale from them. Can't remember for sure. Definitely not more than one though. Daily sales from other merchants for the same goods though.

Makes you wonder why LS, or any network, doesn't set some type of cookie duration. After all, they also get a commission so more sales means more commissions to the network. It's really difficult to make sales with a cookie less than a day. In the early days, I didn't pay much attention to cookies but today I don't even consider them if the cookie is under 30 days. IMO, a cookie length of a day = non serious merchant. If the merchant TRULY wants to grow their affiliate program then they should have a respectable cookie. If, on the other hand, they are only looking for sales and prefer NOT to pay the affiliate then set the cookie for, oh let's say about .958 day. Don't know what this merchant's intentions are but that is how I see it anymore.

If you wish to continue with this merchant, take a look at your non-commissionable sales. If they're substantial, use that number in your negotiations with them.
    Greg Rice Affiliate Program Management
    www.gocmc.com info(AT)gocmc.com | 330-259-1223

Join us! - MiNeeds.com | DiscountCandleShop/CheeseSupply | Feng Shui Plaza

Quote Originally Posted by Chocolate_Chicken
    I honestly wonder why Linkshare doesn't set some sort of minimum threshold.

Marcelle; I gave them a short go about a year ago, just to see if conversions would be OK in spite of the skinflint cookie duration, thinking that perhaps their brand presence may instill confidence in potential buyers. A pretty fair number of clicks each day for a month resulted in 0 sales. Switched the links back to another merchant (who I had switched away from to try out Footlocker) and daily sales resumed as before.

edited to add: memory is kicking in; I vaguely remember now that I may have gotten ONE sale from them. Can't remember for sure. Definitely not more than one though. Daily sales from other merchants for the same goods though.
    Chocolate_Chicken, thanks for the info! I guess that I won't bother with them then.

I just applied and was approved for this program before checking out this thread. I actually just got an email that they've increased the return days to 3 days. Thats still a joke. I didn't realize it before I applied. I probably will not be adding these guys (or their sister program eastbay) to my sites.

That's something I'll never understand. Why even offer return days? An affiliate isn't going to make squat based on that.

I would love to be able to offer affiliates never-ending return days, but right now the best I could squeeze out of management is 45 days. Hey, at least I got them to up it from 15!

I'm working on it!

I actually thought the same thing, so I called Frank Hoffman one of the AM's at Footlocker. He said the reason they chose 3 days is because 99% of sales return within a 3 day period.

Quote Originally Posted by Gorfbassist
    I actually thought the same thing, so I called Frank Hoffman one of the AM's at Footlocker. He said the reason they chose 3 days is because 99% of sales return within a 3 day period.
    79.6% from BHO's that skew the stats. (Grasping number out of thin-air)

I think the min cookies 1 hour, half day etc... offered by merchants such as this are there to preclude any problems with offering affiliates a long cookie then stuffing the program with BHO's that would kill any return visits to regular affiliates. It covers their ass for them. That way affiliates have a weaker case of breach of contract in any unforeseen litigation.

Poop's beliefs of the day.
    Signup Now for our KiteandWind affiliate program exclusivly at Shareasale.
    * 7% + Bonus - 365 return days
    * 2nd Tier Signup Bonus - Parasite Free - Auto Deposit Merchant
    * Free Datafeed - PopShops- Performance Cash Bonus

14. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread