How would you answer this question?
    I get variations of this question quite a bit and I'm not sure the best way to explain. What would you say - do you go into what affiliate marketing is?

"I cannot access any of your links because you use "www.myaffiliateprogram.com", which my Spyware/Adware blocker deems to be harmful."

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

The big shots are only the little shots who keep shooting.
    -Christopher Morley

Just a question myself, but if you use some sort of cloaking/redirect script do the Spyware/Adware blockers catch the links?
    Scott
    If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, then baffle them with bulls#!t
    Don't tell me that you'll do it... SHOW ME.
    Just because everyone else is drinking it is no reason for me to drink the KOOL-AID.

Many blockers will still block it. Most of them use the "hosts" file, which will block it in any browser and with any linking method.

Normally, people don't realize what's causing it. They just know that the links aren't working.

I have an email template I send out when people report broken links:

Dear {name},

I'm sorry to hear about the problems you had trying to use the links at {sitename}. There are several common problems that prevent links from working on {sitename} and other sites. Please see this page for details and instructions:

http://www.{sitename}/linkhelp.html

The most common problem we've seen is with the "hosts" file, so make sure to read that section carefully and check your hosts file.

If this doesn't solve your problem, please let me know and I can try to help you diagnose it further. A copy of your hosts file would be helpful.

Michael Coley
    {sitename}
    Just about everyone that replies back tells me that it was their hosts file and that they were able to fix it. I based my "Link Help" page on a similar page at TechBargains.com, with their permission.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelColey
    Many blockers will still block it. Most of them use the "hosts" file, which will block it in any browser and with any linking method.

Normally, people don't realize what's causing it. They just know that the links aren't working.

I have an email template I send out when people report broken links:

Just about everyone that replies back tells me that it was their hosts file and that they were able to fix it. I based my "Link Help" page on a similar page at TechBargains.com, with their permission.
    I deleted all my "hosts" files almost a year ago and I have had no problem to report.

The only reason that I will not tell my visitors to delete their "hosts" files, is because I don't want to be responsible if my visitors kid's learn a way to get to those sites that are not suitable for minors.

5. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread