What am I doing Wrong?
    The recent update of Google's search system has really screwed me. We used to see a great deal of traffic from Google searches about motorcycling: www.places2ridecom

But it took a couple of weeks before my site even showed up after May 20. I'm not doing anything shady and my site has a great deal of content. My referrals from Google have tanked- from over a hundred a day to maybe a dozen. I don't understand why it took so long to appear after the Bourbon update and (more importantly) why it's ranked me so low.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

http://www.places2ride.com

15 years and counting
    For a website started in feb 2001, you should have a much better traffic. Even before the bourbon update, your traffic was too low. Your page rank is fine, 4.
    Your traffic rank for places2ride.com is 764,304, pretty low. You're invisible.
    It's seems you're changing your design quite often, more than once a year. Google doesn't like brutal changes, number of pages, directory changes, redesign... It can take you a few months to recover.
    Increase the number of incoming links,
    Build more targeted pages,
    Check your navigation, your site map seems OK, but I'm not too crazy about your directory tree.
    Don't rely only on Google for traffic, it's becoming harder and harder to rank well.

Making Affiliate Marketing FUN!
    I am not a big fan of the design myself....as for google... things are constantly changing... try finding alternative and creative ways to create traffic.

Ms Dumb Ass ... but, *NOT* Today! westgroup's Avatar
    So that's part of it
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeus
    It's seems you're changing your design quite often, more than once a year. Google doesn't like brutal changes, number of pages, directory changes, redesign... It can take you a few months to recover.
    I always thought that G and the rest like updated sites and constant changes so I kept on changing the design of my sites (in addition to the content).

No wonder they keep on going lower & lower

15 years and counting
    Google and others like frequent minor updates, adding a few pages, more content, but can drop you after major changes like a redesign, adding a datafeed, adding too many pages at once, changing your theme...
    From their patent:
    "A significant change over time in the set of topics associated with a document may indicate that the document has changed owners and previous document indicators, such as score, anchor text, etc., are no longer reliable.
    http://forum.abestweb.com/showthread.php?t=59486
    http://www.buzzle.com/editorials/tex...2005-71368.asp

Question Over 11,000 pages listed now.
    I had been concerned that product datafeeds were creating too many pages on my site. Google shows 11,800 today and I was afraid this increase had caused a problem.

Thanks for the comments. Any suggestions for design improvement would be appreciated.

More Cheesier Than Ever Cheesehead's Avatar
    I would forget about pleasing the search engines and continue to improve on the functionality of your site (which is already a GREAT site!). At some point, a search engine falls from its throne for ignoring a quality site based on some psycho algorithm. It is the quality of a site that carries it over the long haul and gives it true value.

If you are not already doing pay per click advertising, consider doing so. For a site like yours, you may get a lot of repeat visitors once you get them to your site. Target your motorcycle products and buyers may bookmark your site due to all the other information you offer (and also buy some products).

Also, if you have not done so yet, join some motorcycle forums and use your website URL in your signature if allowed. This would be a good way to get extra targeted exposure along with possibly some more backlinks.
    This World is Not My Home
    We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. . . And then we're gonna go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goalline! Quotes from the movie Rudy, 1993

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by maduko
    But it took a couple of weeks before my site even showed up after May 20. I'm not doing anything shady and my site has a great deal of content.
    Probably not you or google. There are several sites that cache your content and use a 302 redirect to steal your pagerank.

Hop on Google and type in "allinurl:places2ride.com" without quotes.

I have a page hosted through my ISP that shows up with several of these when I do an allinurl:
    This is [theif's] cache of [url]
    [theif's] cache is a snapshot of this Web page that was retrieved on May 20, 2005, as our search engine crawled the web. The page may have changed since then. To view the current page (without highlighting) ... Click Here. [Theif] is not responsible for the content authored on this cached page (See also "Terms of Use").

ABW Ambassador
    Maybe you did nothing at all. Sometimes good sites get caught up in whatever they're doing. Sometimes it's best just to sit tight. Also 100 people a day is not what i would consider a great deal of traffic. Is that the most the site ever got?

Quote Originally Posted by TrustNo1
    100 people a day is not what i would consider a great deal of traffic. Is that the most the site ever got?
    Oh no. That was about the average daily referral from Google.

Daily uniques used to average about 350 through May 20th. Today we're closer to 150-180 each day.

Keep working at it and avoid the drastic frequent changes. Study what works and don't depend on any one source too much. My main datafeed site used to get 2,000-3,000 a day from Google alone, now it's under 100 total so I'm working on a total redo-don't much to lose with that site anyway. Don't give up, read, study, learn and keep building.
    Greg Rice Affiliate Program Management
    www.gocmc.com info(AT)gocmc.com | 330-259-1223

Join us! - MiNeeds.com | DiscountCandleShop/CheeseSupply | Feng Shui Plaza

Need individual keyword lists for each page.
    I looked at a couple of you pages and they all have the same keywords.

Like http://www.places2ride.com/rides/show_ride.asp?z=175 which is the Dalton Highway ride.

You should have keyword lists tailored to each page. This page should have keywords like
    <meta name="keywords" content="dalton highway ride, dalton highway, dalton, disaster creek, alaska motorcycle ride">

You may also want to add a review to each ride description page. This will give you additional space to add keywords.

It shouldn't be too hard to add keyword and review fields to your database.

Hope this helps
    Barry
    buybymail.com

Deleted by poster

14. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread