Making Affiliate Marketing FUN!
    Bookmarks
    Today as I was doing my daily stats scan I really started to think about bookmarks and how important they are. What are all your thoughts about bookmarks? Personally I feel that the bookmark is hugely important. I view each one as a goldmine... an increased possiblity of future sales .. and as a compliment to the site as a whole. My bookmark rate on a niche shopping mall site is about 5 percent. What have you all found?

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    While I think a bookmark is highly complimentary to a site, the fact that I've got about 200 bookmarks in my browser but only actually use about 3 of them tends to temper my excitement over their long-term value. The only ones I use are the ones with *immediate* practical value (for whatever I'm doing at the time). But when I bookmark a site because "it looks interesting and maybe I'll get back to it later," I never seem to get back to it.

As for bookmark rates, it's been too long since I've had a way to estimate bookmarks, though, for me to know how many I get now.

Years ago I had a page where the bookmark instructions were on a second page, and the bookmark-this page got a decent amount of attention. But that page was so different from all my others that it's not really good to make projections from. It was a contest page and it ran during the height of contest-site mania. All I had to do was slap up every different contest banner I could find (yeah, a banner farm) and the contest-fanatics loved it. Once those contest merchants ran out of their VC money, they shut down and finally I sent the page off to 404sville for retirement.
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

I use a tiny piece of javascript with the text: bookmark this site, on almost every page. Plus all my sites have a favicon.ico in the root. I may be wrong, but I can see a definite number of calls for that graphic in the logs every day. I believe IE calls it when a visitor puts a site in their favorites.

Agree with Herb, I also have a 'bookmark this page' on most of my pages. A few even carry a 'Make this your home page' link, and I get a couple of emails a week from ppl telling me how much they like my site (= content wise), and that they made it their home page. No guarantee they will ever buy anything but better than squat I guess.

Other than looking at the pull of the favicon.ico how do you measure if somebody visits you from a bookmark? Would that show as 'Direct Request' in the stats?

Frank

Cool
    Quote Originally Posted by LearnAbout
    Other than looking at the pull of the favicon.ico how do you measure if somebody visits you from a bookmark? Would that show as 'Direct Request' in the stats?

Frank
    I guess so, but I still have some old sites I can't control any more that redirect in.

I use the bookmark script on most of my 700+ page general shopping mall. During periods of normal traffic I get about 14% from bookmarks. When I experienced the drop in Google traffic last December my bookmarks were 44% of the total traffic and kept the site alive. I see the biggest traffic increases from return visitors during holiday shopping periods.
    ~Ernie

lurk
    Wow 14%, that's awesome. Like Leader, I have a large amount of bookmarks, but rarely actually use any of them.

Quote Originally Posted by erninator
    I use the bookmark script on most of my 700+ page general shopping mall. During periods of normal traffic I get about 14% from bookmarks. When I experienced the drop in Google traffic last December my bookmarks were 44% of the total traffic and kept the site alive. I see the biggest traffic increases from return visitors during holiday shopping periods.

Ernie, how do you measure that? I'd be very interested to see this stat for my site as well.

Thanks, Frank

9. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread