View Poll Results: How often do you FTP?

Voters
36. You may not vote on this poll
  • Several times a Day

17 47.22%
  • Every Day

9 25.00%
  • Every Couple Days

5 13.89%
  • Every Week

2 5.56%
  • Every Month

1 2.78%
  • Over 1 Month

0 0%
  • Never

2 5.56%
    How often do you FTP?
    How many of you find FTPing files to your site time consuming and tedious? Over time I've learned to reduce FTP usage quite a bit to save for more development time. I'm curious how often you FTP data to your websites. If you use automatic FTP like Webmerge has that's still considered FTP. I'd like to see how many people automate their sites through a web interface versus a local interface.

- Scott
    Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

I no longer use the clunky windoz clients to upload (sometimes to d/l). I relegate all of that tedium to my Linux box (ncFTP).

Fred

Haven't tried ncFTP. Does it do directory mirroring? What are some common commands you use? You might just convert me. Mac FTP clients are worse than Windows FTP clients, so I'm completely open to a change. Been using Transmit.

Thanks!
    - Scott

rsync over ssh. tasty. :-)
    Tim
    consultant by day, affiliate by night

via dreamweaver, anytime i create or change a page/file it is automatically ftp'ed to my site.

the only ISSUE i have is when my internet connection is DOWN I can't save a file until I turn auto update (FTP) off... but It's so automatic, I rarely think about it.

Dreamweaver MX also but I can save locally also so saving isn't an issue if anything is offline...but my sites are rarely offline...except for right now .
    Suz~~GearGirl~~

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    Like anything related to productivity, I tend to do it in spurts rather than an average amount. So I'd say, every so often I'll FTP a whole bunch of stuff in a day. But usually it's weekly. I always grab a copy of the CJ feed both locally and from the server, just in case Things come up. And there's a merchant that needs weekly updating that I have WM pages for. PHP'd be quicker, but those pages still have rank somewhere, and I don't want to fix what ain't broke.

How many of you find FTPing files to your site time consuming and tedious?
    I'm with ya there. Once I got some sites set up where I didn't have to do much of it, FTPing went way up on the "sucks" list! The scripted ones get a lot more updates...which is starting to affect their rank somewhere in a good way (despite them otherwise being standard feed sites). Not sure which engine's showing the love yet, got to check the logs, but sales are happening on once-dormant properties.

I'd like to see how many people automate their sites through a web interface versus a local interface.
    Well, I upload actual files via DW, but for the PHP sites I pull the feed over server-to-server FTP via the command line. I suppose that's still FTPing but it takes so much less time than sending it from my PC that I don't mind--plus, then all the real work is done by the site itself! As I'm sure you know, it takes a lot less time to grab the feed than to upload 100,000 actual pages.

Much less work and time, so much less that I really must get onto changing over the rest of them. I can see a day where I can update the whole bl**dy shot in one go. Just have to be careful of the occasional corrupted feed.

save for more development time.
    Well I don't know about "development" time, but I've sure got things I like to do more than watch DW send files up.

@ Suzigeek -- Hope your sites get back online fast!
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

I ftp each page as they are updated. By the time one file tranfers I can open the page in my browser and hit refresh when the upload completes. Check the page, check the links and move on.
    ~Ernie

Since ftp is somewhat of a security risk, the procedure I've gotten used to with my own sites as well as systems I build for others is that I have a development environment with a directory structure that's an exact mirror of what the real site has. I then use the unix "rsync" (remote sync) command running on top of "ssh" (secure shell) to efficiently transfer any changed files in a whole directory tree up to the site at once.

Since rsync does compression and only transfers the changed bits of files, it's very efficient. You can update lots of files across lots of subdirectories with one command.

For getting merchant data feeds (except for those merchants and AM's that mistakenly think a spreadsheet on a website qualifies as a datafeed) I use 'wget' to fetch the file server-to-server via FTP or HTTP on a regular basis from a 'cron' scheduled job.

- Tim
    Tim

I do everything through ftp. If you have a ton of stuff to upload, depending on the server and root access, you can zip everything, upload the one file and let the server quickly unzip everything.

It depends, some day, I might end up doing multiple uploads and FTP is used extesively. Some days, may not use at all. I primarily use it to manage couple of websites that I have, as such usage is high on weekends, than weekdays.

I like traffic lights
    Southern hemisphere - away from Fukushima
    FTP? Ewwww. How 90's.

SCP is your fwend.

I can't vote because of my post count, but my answer would be every day - and I am very 90s LOL

Affiliate Manager
    Whether the feed or completed pages, how do you keep up with vendor feeds without transferring them to your server?
    Richard Gaskin
    Developer of WebMerge: Publish any data feed on any site
    http://www.fourthworld.com

Quote Originally Posted by FourthWorld
    Whether the feed or completed pages, how do you keep up with vendor feeds without transferring them to your server?
    My server downloads the feeds and I deal with them through my admin interface. I don't even download datafeeds to my local computer anymore, I love it!

- Scott

Ditto, what Scott said, all the feeds go right to my server and into my database.

FTP (and Telnet) are anachronisms left over from when people trusted the Internet somewhat. They're not very safe for use today.
    Tim

I like cpanel for some reason. I've had a couple bad crashes thru ftp uploads back in the days and for some reason I feel safer with cpanel

It depends on what mode I'm in.

If I'm in build or tweak mode, several times a day.

If I'm in research or promotion mode, not much if at all.

19. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread