We've been running some small tests of an affiliate coupon code, and I'm interested in feedback if this is something we should roll out full-steam-ahead...

Any input?

Paul

Rugman.com (Merchant Through CJ)

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by PaulS:
    We've been running some small tests of an affiliate coupon code, and I'm interested in feedback if this is something we should roll out full-steam-ahead...

Any input?

Paul

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

&lt;A HREF="https://signup.cj.com/member/brandedPublisherSignUp.do?air_refmerchantid=1053794"&gt;Rugman.com (Merchant Through CJ)&lt;/a&gt;

Ooops... sorry for the double post. Meant to edit, but quoted myself instead by mistake.

well now it's a triple post

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by PaulS:
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>preaching to the choir. Of course we going to suggest you roll out a coupon...

Yes, of course. It is a good idea!

Rosalind Gardner earned $436,797 in 2002 by promoting only affiliate programs. She reveals ALL her secrets step by step in her Super Affiliate Handbook (267 pages) www.renio.biz/rosalind/

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    For me, it seems to depend on the type of coupon. Ones that are nice and easy for the buyers to figure out (free shipping, $X off order) seem to do better than the percentage ones or the ones where the buyer has to "buy 2, get 1 free". 1-for-1s can go over okay, IF it's a product the person actually can see wanting an extra of.

Caveat/Heads Up:

Do remember that when you release a coupon, it'll show up all over the Net...not just on the expected coupon affiliate sites! Coupon-lover users will email and post the code all over, and it won't just be on "authorized sites," so make sure your margin is big enough to handle it. Some merchants put out a big coupon intending limited distribution, and then get blindsided when it gets "everywhere"! Better to have a smaller amount off and be able to honor all comers, than to peeve-off lots of sites you didn't expect to list it (by demanding its removal), IMO.

~Revenue is King

ABW Ambassador
    If you do release a coupon, be aware that "dollar-off" coupons convert the best. For example, $10 off a $100 purchase, etc. If you add coupons, I'll have to add you to our coupon site.

Michael

Thanks for the feedback. We were looking (and are currently testing) a 10% off coupon. But, given the feedback, we might move to a $ off for the next phase.

My worry about $ off is that our average purchase is so big (average of $650), that do do anything reasonable needs a big $ discount and a fairly large $ minimum (e.g. $50 off $500+). This limits the folks who want a Gabbeh for $150... unless we do some major scaling.

Anyway, we'll think on that.

And thanks for the Caveat... it's true that control over coupons can be tricky.

For those who want to help us test, our current coupon code is live through CJ. It's not restricted, but we haven't promoted it heavily yet.

Paul

&lt;A HREF="https://signup.cj.com/member/brandedPublisherSignUp.do?air_refmerchantid=1053794"&gt;Rugman.com (Merchant Through CJ)&lt;/a&gt;

ABW Ambassador
    Please if you do have a coupon, make it one that is easy. Why do some merchants insist on having coupons like bjshdf732y5435jfjwhr

Ok, a bit extreme there, but some places do have crazy codes.

www.cjshoppingnetwork.com

ABW Ambassador
    My worry about $ off is that our average purchase is so big (average of $650), that do do anything reasonable needs a big $ discount and a fairly large $ minimum (e.g. $50 off $500+). This limits the folks who want a Gabbeh for $150... unless we do some major scaling.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Why limit it to only one? How about $10 off $100, $25 off $250, and $50 off $500? That gives you triple the normal exposure on our site!

Also, agreed with the simple codes. Something like RUGMAN10, RUGMAN25, and RUGMAN50 would be fantastic.

Michael

So what you're suggesting is different coupons for different purchase levels... of course, that makes sense.

O.k., if this works, we'll roll out a few different ones and people can pick and choose.

I ABSOLUTELY agree about making the codes simple. The complicated codes are very IT-centric.

For those who've peeked at our program, the current test coupon code is fairly simple... at least I think so.

Not quite as simple as those listed, because we did have a case in the past where someone actually tried to guess coupon codes, and they were pretty close to the ones you listed.

Keep the feedback coming, this is really helpful.

Paul

Thanks everyone for your input. We're working on the $ value coupon code.

For now - for those who are interested - we do have a % off coupon posted on the program. It seems to be doing well so far, so we're off to the right start.

Thanks again.

Paul

In response to your conrol issue
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Caveat/Heads Up:

Do remember that when you release a coupon, it'll show up all over the Net...not just on the expected coupon affiliate sites! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

There is one solution that has worked great. I have even seen it double conversion against other merchants that provide Coupon Codes! You simply imbed the offer in the URL. Well I guess easier said then done, but many LinkShare Merchants do this already. Unless an affiliate has the correct link, they can't post the coupon.

As far as the conversion, we all know that our users are not always the brightest of folks sometimes. Either they lose the code, close the browser, what ever...But if it is automatically added to the shopping cart as soon as they click on the link, then you take the error out of their hands.

The coupon codes is what brings in our viewers, but in all reality at mycouponoutlet, most of our sales about 96% are from merchants without coupons.

But, as I said before, the coupons bring them in, so the more coupon offers, the more they come back to look again.

I would also suggest that if you are afraid to give a big discount because it might hurt your commission, that you don't. We like anything from 10% off to $5 off $75 etc. up to the big discounts because our viewrs usually plan on shopping no matter what and 10% is better than nothing to them.

But, the best ones are always the $10 off $20 etc. Who couldn't use any of those

16. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread