Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Exclamation scheduled upgrade 6/24-6/27
    The main Linkshare site will be down for a system upgrade over the weekend, beginning at 5PM EST Friday 6/24. Clickthrough and link tracking will be unaffected, but you will be unable to log in to Linkshare during the weekend.

No functionality changes are expected, we are simply upgrading some systems.

I will post an update once the work has been completed, and we expect the site to be 100% functional by 9AM EST Monday 6/27.

Thanks.

Dan

Cool
    good luck, and see you on the other side.

May the force be with you.
    Dennis Duffy
    Slavin' over a hot keyboard for nickels & dimes ... and nobody understands what I do.

Who is Dan?

Three days??

Is this someones idea of a joke???
    Ron Bechdolt | Affiliate Program Management Consultant
    7 Days A Week Marketing

I will definitely be downloading anything regarding sales before Friday.
    leeann

Shoppers determine what has value and they like coupons. Stop manipulating who set the cookie just because you do not like coupon and promotional sites.

Dan is in the Linkshare Systems Group, and has been very helpful posting updates here. Let's not shoot the messenger.

As Gloria pointed out in the other post, it's not three days. It's only 64 hours. It seems rather long to me, but that's fine. It'll give me more time to add links to my non-Linkshare merchants. That's right after the Linkshare Symposium. I'll have to make sure to explain to merchants why I can't get their links up right away.

(Tongue in Cheek) I'm sure Linkshare has done research and determined that most affiliates work on their sites Monday through Friday 9-5, so taking it down all weekend won't have much impact. (/Tongue in Cheek)
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    No functionality changes are expected, we are simply upgrading some systems.
    Famous last words...
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

ABW Ambassador
    I would focus the full 64 hours on making the Analytics usable. That would be nice.

Animal Lover
    O no...

Not giving you, Michael, a hard time. And I don't mean to shoot the messenger, but anyone from LinkShare coming here and telling us what is going to happen should identify themselves properly in their signature.

Second, 64 hours is closer to three days than it is to two and given LinkShares poor ability to calculate timeframes, it could be six weeks late (like my last commission check).

I agree with Michael was trying to say. Most affiliates don't build sites M-F, 9-5. Linkshare is doing this during THEIR down time so it will not affect THEIR work and THEIR workers. Again, LinkShare (Mr. Messer) does not care about their affiliates and this is another perfect example.
    7 Days A Week Marketing

ABW Ambassador
    "but anyone from LinkShare coming here and telling us what is going to happen should identify themselves properly in their signature."

I actually flagged the post saying the same thing. Maybe Haiko can add a little something for the official network people.

Second, 64 hours is closer to three days than it is to two and given LinkShares poor ability to calculate timeframes, it could be six weeks late (like my last commission check).
    No, no no Ron,

You must remember that quote!

Is the glass half full, or half empty?

Sorry, Mr. Sal, I'm a "half full kind of guy" (quote from bowling alley scene in movie Groundhogs Day)
    7 Days A Week Marketing

Quote Originally Posted by 7-days
    Sorry, Mr. Sal, I'm a "half full kind of guy" (quote from bowling alley scene in movie Groundhogs Day)
    Groundhogs Day?

Excuse mua, but isn't that movie with Bill Murray; (Groundhogs Day) Plot Outline: on where a cynical weatherman is forced to continuously re-live the worst day of his life until he learns to become a better person?

Yes, but the guy in the scene was telling Bill Murray that he (bill) was a half empty kind of guy while he (guy in bar) was a half full kind of guy.

Hmmm, that movie kind of reminds me of our month during Athena implementation. Re-living the worst days of my life.
    7 Days A Week Marketing

while he (guy in bar) was a half full kind of guy.

I agree.
    This Bud for you.

Whew! Glad I removed all your links on the last cr*ppy upgrade...

Just missed this one by "that" much...

Keep in mind, it's only 64 hours.
    Dennis Duffy
    Slavin' over a hot keyboard for nickels & dimes ... and nobody understands what I do.

Quote Originally Posted by muddyboots
    Keep in mind, it's only 64 hours.
    And probably the 64 hours when 95% of the LinkShare staff are at home drinking beer and firing up the BBQ. Clearly LS was not thinking about us during that time. I'd much rather see them do 12 hours one night, 12 hours during some day, 12 hours during an afternoon/evening, etc. That way everyone, including the LS staff and folks on the other side of the planet would all have equal amounts of down time. Also, break up the work and let folks in for 8-10 hours between these 12 hour work period.
    7 Days A Week Marketing

Usually these things are done by switching to backup server(s), upgrading the production server(s) and running in parallel for a while, then upgrading the backup servers the next weekend or whatever. But what do I know. :-)
    Tim
    consultant by day, affiliate by night

Web Ho - Design B!tch ~Michelle's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by infospongellc
    Usually these things are done by switching to backup server(s), upgrading the production server(s) and running in parallel for a while, then upgrading the backup servers the next weekend or whatever. But what do I know. :-)
    Exactly!

And if for some obscure reason it can't be done that way, then I also agree with the other post above that said it should at the very least be broken into segments.

Do it like most everyone else, in the middle of the night in small segments over a couple of days when the impact will be a minimum to their users.

This has turned into the 'LinkShare 2005 - Summer of Hell' tour.
    ~Michelle
    "All I ask is a chance to prove that money can't make me happy."
    "Work to become, not to acquire." -- Confucius

Quote Originally Posted by 7-days
    Not giving you, Michael, a hard time. And I don't mean to shoot the messenger, but anyone from LinkShare coming here and telling us what is going to happen should identify themselves properly in their signature.
    No problem. I just wanted to make sure everyone knew Danix was one of the good guys. If you look through his posts, you'll see that he's answered a lot of questions and provided a lot of updates.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Talking
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelColey
    No problem. I just wanted to make sure everyone knew Danix was one of the good guys. If you look through his posts, you'll see that he's answered a lot of questions and provided a lot of updates.
    definitely . . .

but I'd sure like to know what they're using for infrastructure.

Herb the MCSE
    said that

Guys, I wasn't aware that Gloria had posted something already.
    Yes, I'm in the systems group, and if you're coming to the Symposium, I'm easy to find (look for the nametag that says "Dan"). I started posting here in response to some complaints that you weren't being updated on site outages/issues, and Stephen asked me to continue posting since people seemed to find it helpful.

I'm going to ignore all the other barbs and jabs.
    This is strictly an infrastructure upgrade, has nothing to do with analytics, and we're going to make it as brief as possible. There is always a chance that any major upgrade will run late or have some unforseen effects, but we're planning for any possible scenario.

Herb, I could tell you about our infrastructure, but then I'd have to kill you.

Dan, glad to hear you have a thick skin! (Sometimes you need one here.) And thanks for keeping us updated. While Gloria did mention it, it's worthy of a separate post. (I even made it a sticky post, until after the site is available again.) Looking forward to meeting you at the Symposium!
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast