I've been using Frontpage to build and publish my website. Cutting and pasting to a bunch of different pages when one store fits into several categories is a pain in the arse. I'm playing around with WebMerge a little to see if that will make things easier. What do you use to manage your site? I'd be very interested to know. I see alot of PHP extensions out there.

Anyone...? Anyone...?

ABW Ambassador
    Do yourself a favor and learn PHP and MySQL. You'll be glad you did.

My wife can update our site and not know a thing about HTML, FTP, or any other web-related technology. Spend your time building the back-end, and you'll come out way ahead in the long run.

I heavily recommend "PHP and MySQL Web Development" (Second Edition) by Luke Welling and Laura Thomson. Best $35 I've ever spent. And the best (by far) computer book in my collection.

Michael

Embud-- Exactly correct!

My wife actually does run our site now and she doesn't know anything about html either. I built her a nice admin interface with as many javascripts and things as possible to make it easy and quick for her to update the site.. She is also taking care of our 2 boys, currently 19 months and 2 months..

I run off a PHP with a Mysql backend..
    A little advice, try to make you site as static as possible. Most coupon sites only change once or twice a day, so write as much as you can from you db to static pages to save mysql access.

Ours is an Access database with an ASP frontend. Adding coupons is as easy as filling out a form and the coupon dynamically appears where it should. I used to do nightly html updates and now I save upwards of an hour and get more content.

ABW Ambassador
    Also if people are scared off from working on the server, remember you can create the static pages locally using a database ,then just upload them.

I am 50/50 dynamic off templates on the server vs built locally and uploaded.

I still use frontpage for the template/site design.

Chet

I use Access/ASP combo for mall type site and not very happy with it because of the some leaks saucing occasinal errors.

I'm bulding a brand new coupon site with ASP .Net and the pages will be dynamicly generated but will be in htm format, for easy spidering.

Access is certainly not the most robust platform, but it works for my needs right now. Haven't had problems with search engines because I have an "all stores" page with links and querystrings to each "page". Seems to work OK.

Sambay-

Try PHP.. I ran my site of access/asp for almost 2 years, got tired of the constant IIS crashes & memory leaks on the server causing asp to stop responding. Anyway, PHP is very similar, and there is even an ASP to PHP conversion program out there. If you are interested, i'll see if I can find it. Also PHP web hosting is a lot cheaper!

Thanks Terrymc,

Yes, I'd be interested in the ASP to PHP converter. I was thinking of replacing Access with SQL db but that's just more hosting fees.

In another forum someone said they are using PHPNuke to run their site. But, they also say that google isn't picking it up and they plan on switching programs. Any reason Google won't pick up the site?

Does anyone have any experience with myPHPsite?

Thanks
    Steve

"Bueller...? Bueller...?"

We are also facing occassional problems/issues with ASP/Access 2000.
    If there's a better option/choice available, we would be interested to know.

Thanks
    Gupta
    http://www.GoodBazaar.com

ABW Ambassador
    how about anything not related to M$?

This is what I used to learn PHP:

Asp2php

Basically I took my asp pages, then did some "reverse engineering". This tool converted almost everything. Of course, don't forget about www.php.net

ABW Ambassador
    Steveinid,

The problem with phpNuke is that it creates search engine unfriendly URLs. I believe there is a module or plug-in for it that takes care of the problem, but that's pretty much all I know about it.

Search Engine Positioning - 1 Design 4 Life

Sambay -

Any resources you can direct me to to start learning ASP .NET? Obviously I'm just going to use it to generate pages from my product databases, I am not going to try and do anything TOO crazy with it.

Any idea where I can get a good tutorial/beginners guide?

Danski

I try to find deals that don't have a expiration deal or storefronts so I don't need to worry about expire dates.

"I can teach anybody how to get what they want out of life. The problem is that I can't find anybody who can tell me what they want." -- Mark Twain

xtremeshopping.org inc.

http://www.xtremeshopping.org/xtreme...roduction.html

Jason
    Santa Cruz

I do not even want to go back and remember those days of manually updating my site, although Dreamweaver made the search and replacement of expired codes a bit easier.
    Thank God for PHP and MySql! I don't know how I ever did it!

Dreamweaver is still great for the page templates though!

Connie Berg
    http://www.flamingoworld.com

I am very interested in finding a script to help with the monumentous task of maintaining a coupon site. Does anyone know where I can get one? I'm very interested. Not looking for a free handout, I'm willing to pay for it. I've tried learning PHP but my attention span on the subject is a little short.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
    Steve

"Bueller...? Bueller...?"

Mike Said: Do yourself a favor and learn PHP and MySQL. You'll be glad you did.

My wife can update our site and not know a thing about HTML, FTP, or any other web-related technology. Spend your time building the back-end, and you'll come out way ahead in the long run.

I agree with you!
    I have been a long time Frontpager and love how well they do the keywords and html for me. But, now my husband is into the php etc. and about to enter his last year of college.

He has been working on php etc. to help and it works so well for me, I just put in the info and hit enter. I leave the hard work up to him

But, I do leave the main pages inside frontpage so I know the keywords, description, headings etc. will remain right for search engine placement. Then I use the others for pages like new free recipes with the partnership i have with betty crocker, free craft ideas, coupons etc.

Just remember, search engines like Google don't like php and ? in the urls so don't rely on a great ranking with those pages.

21. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread