ABW Ambassador
    I have a mailing list with 900 plus subscribers. They signed up for a weekly coupon newsletter. Ok... I send them a link/ad offering discounts, and advertisers offering coupons. Anyhoo...

Is it unethical for me to offer my list to other coupon sites for a price? Or, for me to approach advertisers for lead generations for the email addresses - in other words, with the merchant/advertiser giving permission, submit the email addys for leads? Just asking

I think what I am really asking is, is there a way for me to generate revenue from my list by means other than what I am presently using it for. legally, of course.

Big Chuck
    If you can't run with the big dogs, then stay on the porch!

Have you ever stated (in the newsletter, details page, etc) that a subscribers address will never be shared, sold, etc to other parties?

------------------------
    Webmaster Resources

ABW Ambassador
    ahhh RIK! Did you have to go there! Yep. At one time. In the beginning. That was just for a span of about two weeks when I first started out. I was actually trying to get people locally to sign-up for local offline merchant coupons, but found out I get more $$$$$ with click here to save NOW!

Big Chuck

If you don't have a publicly displayed privacy policy, then it would be unethical. However, if you create a privacy policy with what you want to do explained, youshould be OK. However, before doing so, you have to alert your subscribers that your privacy policy has changed and let them opt-out if they want.

Just changing the policy without letting them know would be unethical.

One way to ethically generate more revenue from your list rather than sell the actual names and e-mail addresses, would be to offer paid advertising where you agree to send announcements on a CPM or CPC basis to your list for other advertisers, without turning over the info to them.

There are quite a few networks that you could even work through to select and place ads in your newsletter that are paid this way.

This way you still control the volume of e-mail your subscribers receive and you don't betray their trust. I would never sell the outright list to others.

Susan

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by csm:
    One way to ethically generate more revenue from your list rather than sell the actual names and e-mail addresses, would be to offer paid advertising where you agree to send announcements on a CPM or CPC basis to your list for other advertisers, without turning over the info to them.

There are quite a few networks that you could even work through to select and place ads in your newsletter that are paid this way.

This way you still control the volume of e-mail your subscribers receive and you don't betray their trust. I would never sell the outright list to others.

Susan<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Susan, that sounds like the way to go. The only problem is that I don't have the most excellent stats through my web host. I do not have a reliable way of knowing how to measure impressions, or who actually opened their email. The only way I can see what good my mailing list has done is through the stats of the third party ad networks. One network does allow me to actually see the email address of where the action began, or the url the visitor came from. But that is only one out of about eight ad networks.

Is their a way of me measuring the stats of my mailing list? Are there any scripts I can upload to my webhosts server, on a web page that would track the impressions?

Big Chuck

Why don't you have the email redirect through a page on your site? If your stats aren't up to par, you could simply write the hits to a database or even a text file. Better yet, get a web host that *does* have good stats.

Chuck,

There are a few different issues you can look at. How do you send your newsletter now? You might want to consider a third-party list hosting option that provides ad tracking and/or e-mail open rates.

You would be able to track how many actually open your e-mail as well as how many click on certain ads and links within the e-mail. You can even use an autoresponder service that provides broadcast options for your newsletter if you don't want to use a standard list hosting company. For example, aweber.com and getresponse.com offer some of these features and the advantage is that the price remains stable as your list grows (unlike most list hosting companies). You can also set up your broadcasts in advance and set the date you would like them sent.

If you don't want to handle the ad-selling part of things yourself, eg. finding advertisers, collecting money, reporting results, you can use ad networks who will provide you the code for each link you run and they handle the click tracking. I believe the DirectResponse.com network offers a newsletter/ezine ad network. There are others.

It's been a long time since I've researched these services, so I apologize that I don't have more actual references, but I know there are many options that would work for you.

Good luck!
    Susan

ABW Ambassador
    Considering that I STILL work a day job I have little time to research. I could take the simple way out and just offer flat rates based upon the number of subscribers. Of course, without decent tracking there is no way for an advertiser to measure the response, or impressions. The mailing list, and submission form of my web host, IMO, is pretty good. With exception to the tracking. I have no problem sending.

Thanks all for the advice. Susan, I will try to dosme research on those you mentioned, time permitting. With four websites, over 700 web pages among the four, and a day job on top of that, I am stretched. Maybe one day I will drop one of them... hopefully not the websites

Big Chuck

Since you are like me and did say that you wouldn't give their personal information to any 3rd party, I would suggest possibly trying to sell ads in your newsletter for the extra income.

Just a thought .

There are lots of issues in there. A whole big bag of them!

If people signed up for a coupon newsletter and you send them something different - such as standalone advertiser mails, then your privacy policy is irrelevant.

If they signed up for one thing and got another, they might scream spam. They might not - depends on your list. It doesn't matter that you never said you wouldn't send standalone ads.

If you're going to move to standalone ad mails, I'd announce it, and give people a chance to get off the list. That's what most publishers have done in the past who've added list rental to their normal newsletter.

With 900+ subscribers I wouldn't bother with looking for paid ads and rental deals. It'll probably cost you more to find and service advertisers than you'll get back in revenue.

ABW Ambassador
    I think any of the things you wish to do are unethical. Here's why <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>They signed up for a weekly coupon newsletter.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>.

But, then again, who cares right? They'll probably never figure out that YOU sold them out, and they already probably get 1500 spams a day, anyway, right?

Also, 900 subscribers? Why bother.

----
    -JM

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Is their a way of me measuring the stats of my mailing list? Are there any scripts I can upload to my webhosts server, on a web page that would track the impressions <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

If I remember right (it's been two years + since I use Outlook Express to open my email) Outlook Express has a function that you can prompt or something that will send you an email back to let you know that the person you send the email did open email you send.

But I just don't want to even open outlook express due to some virus long time ago that mess up this pc I am using. so I couldn't check it for you.

But I know it worked to the people that is on my list and I have send them email and I will get a prompt that they did open my email.
    You might want to check it out.

There is a way about the email stuff that you will know who and when they open their email you send to them.

------------------------------
    What does the COC stand for? &lt;b&gt;Crooks Overwriting Commissions.&lt;/b&gt;
    ------------------------------
    Love Life to the fullest. we only get ONE chance! :-) !

14. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread