Exclamation Commission Junction account warning for inflating traffic!
    Hi Guys,

I recevied an email notification from CJ in June 19 that contains:
    ----------------
    Dear Vahid Bigdeli,

In accordance with the Commission Junction Publisher Service Agreement,( http://www.cj.com/pub_agreement.asp ), you are being warned for inflating traffic to one or more of your affiliated advertisers. You may not generate clicks or transactions for the advertisers you are affilaited unless you have documented authorization from the advertiser. As a result, your account is under payout review. If you are found to remain non compliant during the next payout review cycle (approx 30 days), your account will be deactivated.

If you have any questions, please reply to this email.

Sincerely,
    Network Quality
    ------------------------------------
    Commission Junction, a ValueClick company
    1501 Chapala Street
    Santa Barbara, CA 93101
    main 805 560 0777
    fax 805 560 0776
    www.cj.com

CONFIDENTIAL AND PROPRIETARY INFORMATION OF COMMISSION JUNCTION. (C) 2004 Commission Junction, Inc. All rights reserved. This work contains information that is confidential and proprietary information to Commission Junction. Removal of this notice, and use, examination, disclosure, transfer and copying of all or part of this work are prohibited, except with the express written consent of Commission Junction.

If you need further assistance to this issue or to answer an inquiry, please use the "reply-to" address.
    ----------------------------

and they didn't send any check to me in June 20th.will they send any check tomorrow and will they get paid my May payout?

ABW Ambassador
    Are you answering your own question?
    http://forum.abestweb.com/showthread...620#post447620

No,there is no any relationship between my last question and this question.is there?

You looks like you "done any trick" and got caught.

It sounds like you will only get your May payout if the "payout review" reveals you did not use any tricks that violate the TOS. Otherwise, if you are clean, I'm sure the payout will be sent out shortly. I had my payout held back for a review once, but did not recieve any such letter like you did. I was told it was normal to randomly tag certain accounts each month for a standard quality check. Doesn't sound like that's the case with you though.

I dont' know how wise it was to post this letter, it's pretty clear at the bottom that it is private and confidential.

You mean that they will sends my May check?
    but my next shudeled payment is set to 20th July and I don't have any last payment?

There were a few threads recently discussing bots being culprits of inflated clicks, maybe that's an issue here as well:
    http://forum.abestweb.com/showthread...nflated+clicks [Note MichaelColey's list].

Definitely not a good idea to post the whole letter, maybe a mod can edit it?
    Last edited by LearnAbout; June 21st, 2005 at 06:22 AM.

more to the is there any activity on your site(s) that would look suspicious to CJ?

could there be many clicks to one or two merchants without the corresponding impression count?

I really don't know, any more, what CJ would have a problem with, unless you have a per-click arrangement with a merchant and the number of clicks per time period is high without other action by the visitors.

competition?
    if, by chance, you do have a CPC arrangement and too many clicks are coming in, you should be looking at your server logs to see where they are coming from. You probably should be looking at your logs anyway because if you can prove this is not your fault you can vindicate your self.

Did you bother to read this part of your email?

CONFIDENTIAL AND PROPRIETARY INFORMATION OF COMMISSION JUNCTION. (C) 2004 Commission Junction, Inc. All rights reserved. This work contains information that is confidential and proprietary information to Commission Junction. Removal of this notice, and use, examination, disclosure, transfer and copying of all or part of this work are prohibited, except with the express written consent of Commission Junction.

If you need further assistance to this issue or to answer an inquiry, please use the "reply-to" address.
    You play...you pay.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

The big shots are only the little shots who keep shooting.
    -Christopher Morley

liability-coverage boilerplate. used either as fair warning or to intimidate.

ABW Ambassador
    I just find it odd someone posting - "tricks, what tricks could possibly get you in trouble" - then getting an email saying they are suspected of doing some tricks.

Sorry vbigdeli, I do think the two are related. Are you maybe popping so clicks in the background? Hidden frames? Anything odd? In your first post You seemed concerned over what CJ might consider a trick, are you sure you have followed all ther terms exactly?

He's been a bad boy! He's been a very naughty boy. He should be punished!
    Comments are opinion unless otherwise noted. Remember, pillage first. Then burn. Half of all people in the world have IQs under 100. You best learn to trust ol' SSanf!

Quote Originally Posted by LearnAbout
    There were a few threads recently discussing bots being culprits of inflated clicks, maybe that's an issue here as well:
    http://forum.abestweb.com/showthread...nflated+clicks [Note MichaelColey's list].

Definitely not a good idea to post the whole letter, maybe a mod can edit it?

I think LearnAbout has it right. I'm noticing a lot of clicks which are from the bots because the clicks are higher than the impressions. I would mention that to CJ Vahid. JMO of course

Packy I am seeing the same exact thing. Way too many click thrus for impressions and my click thru ratio has doubled even trippled maybe. Too bad the sales havent tripled.
    Vinny O'Hare - OPM - Contact Info email: vinny at teamloxly.com ~ 702-582-6742 Twitter

I very recently started a method of catching these bots that do not follow the robots.txt and the website scraping bots and banning them by their IP's from my sites forever.

Since I started to use it I have caught to date 162 different IP's but their are many hundreds if not thousands more to catch yet..
    One day parasites and their ilk will be made illegal, I bet a few Lawyers will be pissed off when the day comes.
    Mr. Spitzer is fetching it nearer

YouTrek

trix are for kids.

Talking
    Quote Originally Posted by brianboru
    trix are for kids.
    and watch the fun, now that school is out for the Summer.

Quote Originally Posted by Gordon
    Since I started to use it I have caught to date 162 different IP's but their are many hundreds if not thousands more to catch yet..
    I had suggested in another thread on this evil bot topic that CJ implement some controls relating to a large number of clicks coming at a fast pace from the same IP address.

There are lots of evil bots out there. There are some that show up on different days with different IP addresses, even though it's the same bot (likely a hacker with a dynamic IP ISP relationship). But, once a bot starts drilling through links on a given day, its IP address stays the same for that session (from what I've seen in my logs).

It seems like a problem for which there is some solution. Nothing will be perfect but I would think that if CJ and a group of affiliates bounced some idea around the distortive impact of botzillas could be minimized.
    Dennis Duffy
    Slavin' over a hot keyboard for nickels & dimes ... and nobody understands what I do.

Out of curiosity, what do you all think these bots are doing? What are they looking for?
    Todd Crawford
    Co-Founder, Impact Radius

Give me a minute before I post again

I'm not clever enough to know what they are doing or what they are looking for, all I know is they are in places of my site where
    A/ they have been banned from via my robots.txt
    B/ they are not suposed to be
    C/ I dont want them to be.
    D/ they inflate my click throughs.

I have seen many websites just recently that are compiled purely of links to products/content on other peoples websites. I do not want people to make money from my content/product links so I am now banning them if at all possible.
    One day parasites and their ilk will be made illegal, I bet a few Lawyers will be pissed off when the day comes.
    Mr. Spitzer is fetching it nearer

YouTrek

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ToddCrawford
    Out of curiosity, what do you all think these bots are doing? What are they looking for?
    Combination of site snooping data mining and searching for Google & Yahoo PR content to scrap off for tricking SERP traffic. Many bots are PPCSE keyword driven just like those hated BHO's.
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

Quote Originally Posted by ToddCrawford
    Some may be spambots looking for e-mail addresses.

I think some are also hackers who just want to see what they can do and they may never really even have a clear idea in their own head about what they're trying to do. They just let their bot crawl away, following one link to another and gathering data to populate a database (that may or may not get used).

The problem is that some of them follow BUYURLs and create clicks.
    Dennis Duffy
    Slavin' over a hot keyboard for nickels & dimes ... and nobody understands what I do.

23. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread