Marketing Mistress Lectrickitty's Avatar
    Is this a parasite invasion?
    First off, I would like to say I hope I didnít break any rules in this post.

Iím not very computer literate so donít totally understand how this happened. I did include a guess below.

My computer was so messed up it wasnít working right so I decided to use the factory CDís to put it back to itís original settings. I would have to reinstall all my programs, but I figured it would be worth the work to get everything right.

I used the CDís. No problem, everything was perfect. Then I decided to go to windows update and get the security patches. Iíve spent the past 2 days doing it all.

Yesterday I downloaded SP1 with no problems.

Today I downloaded SP2.

Hereís what happened. MS had a note that I need to update from my computer manufacture before installing SP2 so I did. Then updated SP2.

When I went to my contol panel to upload my software, I found these:

1. Bullseye (a program that assures free downloads on the web)

2. 180search assistant (could not uninstall unless I answered some questions explaining why I was uninstalling the program, only radio buttons so choice was limited to the answers they wanted) I chose ďother reasonĒ and typed in that I do not trust any program that sneaks into my computer without my knowledge.

3. WierdesttheWeb. Uninstalled them also.

4. Surfsidekick. Who the heck are they? They are another one with a message that they are working to assure us that free downloads remain free. (Uninstalled them also)

5. Aurora pop up. They wanted me to let them scan my computer for spyware. Yea, like they arenít! What were they doing on my computer and who gave them permission to be there? (Closed the popup)

6. A pop up arrived with this info: ďMessage from MSOFT UPDATE to CUSTOMER on 6/20/2005 (blah,blah) Buffer overflow in Messenger Service Causes Unexpected Computer Shutdown, Virus Infection and Remote Code ExecutionĒ (blah blah blah) Your system IS infected, download the patch from the addy below! I took the addy to whois and found out itís registered to someone at cashette.com (this popup opened several times, I closed it each time)

7. Hereís a list of addresses that show up in my history. Keep in mind that the ONLY sites I have been to is microsoft updates and HP updates. 4 of the sites appeared before I went to HP, 4 more appeared after HP site visit. Does this mean windows security updates is loading spam popups?

A. Adopt.hbmediapro.com
    ad for Little Giant Ladder System

B. Adopt.specificclick.net
    specificmedia, Inc.

C. Cache.trafficmp.com
    trafficMPPopUnderUS5

D. E.mll
    e.rnll.com
    WARNING!

E. HP update
    5 pages listed

F. Microsoft.com
    welcome to microsoftís protect your PC site
    get service pack 2 with advanced security
    get the latest updates from your PC manufacturer before installing windows SP2

G. Partypoker.com
    online poker games

H. Tv.180solutions.com
    3 web pages listed in history file

I. Update microsoft
    5 pages in history file

J. Z1.adserver.com
    computer registery software advertisement

After all this, I tried to come here to post this message. All I can get is a gray page with a popup to install flash player. I tried to install flash and my computer froze.

Iím making this post from my daughters computer because mine wonít let me view the site. Sorry to be a pain in the posterior, but I donít have any idea how to get my computer back in my control. Can anyone suggest a good antivirus software, possibly a site that will check for virusí and spyware on the web? I want to get the garbage out so I can use my computer without worrying about who has sneaky stuff installed without my knowledge.

Oh, btw: I got a check from Linkshare today!!!

Thanks

You might want to download Microsoft's free Antispyware software.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Yes, some of those programs are parasites. Are you running a firewall (like Zone Alarm) and an Anti-Virus software program?

Michael, Thanks for the advice. I'll do that right now.

Tracy, Yes I have a firewall and anti-virus. I'm using McAfee but I think I need to find a better one.

I managed to get my computer to this page. I had to email a link to myself and come straight to this page. Keeping my fingers crossed that all turns out well.

I totaly agree with Michael.

Get yourself the free microsoft antispyware. It gets rid of most and gives you protection from many things.

I also have Avast Anti Virus on my comp (another free program). Since having these two running I have been clear of any problems (touch wood)
    One day parasites and their ilk will be made illegal, I bet a few Lawyers will be pissed off when the day comes.
    Mr. Spitzer is fetching it nearer

YouTrek

Quote Originally Posted by Lectrickitty
    Yes I have a firewall and anti-virus. I'm using McAfee but I think I need to find a better one.
    Don't forget, it doesn't matter which anti-virus or anti-spyware program you use, it won't work if you don't keep it updated (learned this the hard way as a newbie many years ago). So make sure you keep on top of it.

Best of luck cleaning that crap out.

Ok, another thing..... make sure u stop the 'messenger service' in Windows.

Im assuming you're using XP so here's what you do:

1. Start -> Settings -> Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Services
    2. In the list of services, find the one called 'Messenger'.
    3. Right click on the service 'Messenger', click Properties.
    4. Click on 'Stop' to stop the service
    5. Click ok/accept, etc.

If what I think is happening, this should help. When this popup shows, are there any browsers open? If it happends whilst no browsers are open... it could be what I've said above.

Thanks Rogi, I just did that. The only popup I've been getting is one from Aurora. It pops up every time I open a window. I hope that fixes it.

The only free microsoft antispyware I found is beta version, Is that the one you use? I thought beta means something new being tested? Is there another one I'm not finding?

The "stop messenger" didn't work. This one is coming back every time I open a new window.

5. Aurora pop up.

Talking
    Quote Originally Posted by Lectrickitty
    The only free microsoft antispyware I found is beta version, Is that the one you use? I thought beta means something new being tested? Is there another one I'm not finding?
    That's the one you want.

I've had it on my computer and it has keep it clean ever since I installed it.

I run it every day and it finds and removes something almost every day when I run it.

Click on file on the antispyware and then click on update before you use it every time to. It usually has an update for new sypware and adware every day and after it updates itself then tell it to scan your computer.

It can also run in the background if you want it too.

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Your probably getting not only WinXP messager spams, but also the typical broadband connection startup crapolla. My computer customers are instructed to NOT to connect to the internet via cable or DSL... until I've immunized their systems. Step one is to install ZoneAlarm firewall. I then install from the same CD-RW disk the latest Ad-Aware, SpyBot S&D, SpywareBlaster and for Win2000, or XP systems, the Microsoft Anti-Spyware Beta before connecting to the Internet.

Next step is to hookup to the Internet and immediately update and activate all the above. Then I download the latest AVG anti-virus program with the newest update profiles and go through the reboot and virus scan. Way too many BHO perps are hiring rogue affiliate/distributors bundling actual computer viruses with their bundles of crap. Now once the desktop appears I click on SpywareBlaster and activate the "restricted sites" and default IE browser protections. **** Make sure to uncheck and unprotect Linksynergy (5) Commission Junction and BFast on their systems ( blocking those just whacks my commissions). Use Spyware Blaster to make a snapshot of the system startup files and registry.

Now I'd take the time to update the Windows OS with all patches and verify my hardware profiles are current & working in the Control Panel "device manager". Tip: If your not going to use the modem ...remove it... so the damn XXX dialers don't whack your winsock settings with drive-by installs.

More tips at www.ecomcity.com/news.htm

ps: run Trend Micros online virus scanner (if the viruses you have let you) as they have choaked McAfee from working and reset the XP firewall to trust their trojan horse backdoor.
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

lurk
    You don't like parasiteware?

Lectric, don't forget that Windows also comes with a free firewall.
    good luck.

Also, make sure you have all updates. If I remember correctly, SP2 was a big pain in at a$$ when it first came out.
    Danay @ LunaSolMedia.com
    Global Perfomance Marketing. Global Niche Markets = Opportunity!
    HispanicYa!|MallFreebies

I dwell in possibility. ~Emily Dickinson

Internet Cowboy
    Quote Originally Posted by ecomcity
    Your probably getting not only WinXP messager spams, but also the typical broadband connection startup crapolla. My computer customers are instructed to NOT to connect to the internet via cable or DSL... until I've immunized their systems. Step one is to install ZoneAlarm firewall. I then install from the same CD-RW disk the latest Ad-Aware, SpyBot S&D, SpywareBlaster and for Win2000, or XP systems, the Microsoft Anti-Spyware Beta before connecting to the Internet.

Next step is to hookup to the Internet and immediately update and activate all the above. Then I download the latest AVG anti-virus program with the newest update profiles and go through the reboot and virus scan. Way too many BHO perps are hiring rogue affiliate/distributors bundling actual computer viruses with their bundles of crap. Now once the desktop appears I click on SpywareBlaster and activate the "restricted sites" and default IE browser protections. **** Make sure to uncheck and unprotect Linksynergy (5) Commission Junction and BFast on their systems ( blocking those just whacks my commissions). Use Spyware Blaster to make a snapshot of the system startup files and registry.

Now I'd take the time to update the Windows OS with all patches and verify my hardware profiles are current & working in the Control Panel "device manager". Tip: If your not going to use the modem ...remove it... so the damn XXX dialers don't whack your winsock settings with drive-by installs.

More tips at www.ecomcity.com/news.htm

ps: run Trend Micros online virus scanner (if the viruses you have let you) as they have choaked McAfee from working and reset the XP firewall to trust their trojan horse backdoor.
    This reminds me of an old Steven Wright joke:
    "My friends wife was on the birth control pill, using an IUD, a diaphragm and a contraceptive gel all at once. Nine months later she had a baby. It was born wearing a suit or armor."

Unfortunately it has just about come to this in the fight to keep these slimeballs off our computers.

spyware
    In order to minimize infections you need to make a change in internet explorer settings.

prior to connecting to the internet (leave your connection unplugged), open Internet Explorer,

it will say it cant connect, and give you a page not found error, ignore this since you dont need to connect just yet

click Tools Internet Options
    click the Advanced Tab
    Uncheck the following
    Enable Install on Demand
    Enable Install on Demand Other
    Enable third party browser extensions (this is a very common method for
    spyware to infect your computer, unfortunately in rare cases like the
    google toolbar, you must leave this checked otherwise the toolbar will
    not work, so you find yourself having to make a decision of added rist
    from other sources and the toolbar or not using the toolbar and having
    added security )

apply the changes and close IE and reboot. then connect the internet connection

with these settings unchecked its hard to get infected but you need to do it prior to connecting to the internet

there are more instructions on my site on what to do after you get infected
    http://www.techadvice.com/specs/answer.asp?aid=596

michael
    www.techadvice.com

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    MS had a note that I need to update from my computer manufacture before installing SP2 so I did.
    Sounds like your computer manufacturer or its reseller was the problem. Either that or your factory CDs. Were they real, MS-issued CDs, or were they "restore" disks made by the manufacturer/retailer?

Some computer makers and/or sellers put the blasted parasiteware on their own computers, and have it on their restore disks, in order to grab a few (cents? bucks?) extra for every user. They don't care that they're basically selling pre-trashed systems that way.

Even places you wouldn't expect do it. I was quite confused when eBates' Mo Money Maker started appearing on my computer a while back, seemingly on its own, despite me not going to any offbeat sites or downloading anything. A long time later, I managed to stumble on the folder where the culprit was hiding. I think they had put it as a "hidden" folder, but I unhide things just on principle (*I* own this computer, therefore it has no business having folders I can't see), so it was just a matter of time before I got to it.

Best Buy was selling this computer as an "exclusive" brand (it's a VPR Matrix, which they don't seem to sell/make(?) anymore). That folder had been put there by Best Buy. Inside it was a thing which allowed "automatic updates from Best Buy." What it didn't say, was that the "update" was whatever parasiteware they'd signed a deal with that month! So, when they signed with eBates, they auto-infected my computer. Needless to say, I got rid of both the eBates junk and the supposed auto-update program!

Don't let the "store brandedness" fool you or make you assume this only hits low-end computers. This was a top of the line gamer's computer, not some starter jobbie. But I saw no need to pay extra just to have it say "DELL" or "AlienWare" on it!

What I'm saying is, a place is going to infest its own computers, or ones they sell, they'll do it to all of them.
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

I thought I had my computer fixed, then I come to read this thread and get totally confused.

The outside link says there are 16 posts in this thread.
    I enter the thread and the top post says there are now 25 posts.
    I read the thread and only find 17 posts.
    Yesterday I read 19 posts.

Where are posts 18 - 25? I looked for a page 2 and there isn't one. Is this thread messed up or is my computer totally screwed up??? (don't bother answering these questions cause I can't read past post #17)

Maybe I better quit the late night reading. Maybe I only imagined the other 2 posts last night...

I can't read past post #17
    That's cuz that's all the posts there were (when you wrote that). My post, here, should be #19.

I don't know what could have caused it to seem like there were more, unless some posts got moderated on for some reason. If some were moved or deleted (most likely due to someone spamming) it can throw off the post count. I didn't see any spams in this thread, but there could have been some that got wiped when I wasn't on...

I think it's my eyes. I must take some time out and sleep one of these days...

If I understand parasites they try to use our sites to make commissions for themselves. So, is this example a parasite?

I put up a link.
    I clicked on the link to check it.
    I am taken to a page where the item is AND links to other merchants.

Why would I want to send my visitors to a page with more links so someone else would get the commissions? I took down the link and canceled the account. Did I act to fast? Is this normal?

That's not a parasite in the normal ABW usage, but your impression of it being lousy and rotten is indeed correct, IMO. It's just a different kind of louse.

What you had was a leaky merchant (it allows your traffic to "leak" off of its site). Or, a traffic-skimming SOB, whichever you prefer.
    It is NOT normal, and it's indeed blighted.

Occasionally it can help to complain, like we did with Backcountry about their AdSense "experiment," and they'll hop onto the clue train. But a lot of merchants who do that stuff are just trying to get free money off your traffic, and need dropping. It depends on the particular merchant.

Usually the Drop button is my reaction to such major problems. If I think the situation may improve, like with Backcountry's peripheral sites, I rip down the links to the affected site (but don't actually hit drop). Some suggest also emailing the merchant, and letting them know why you dropped them (or ripped links), in case they are willing to make improvements.

Quote Originally Posted by Leader
    . Some suggest also emailing the merchant, and letting them know why you dropped them (or ripped links), in case they are willing to make improvements.

Emailing would carry some weight if I was a super affiliate, but as a newbie I don't imagine they will pay a lot of attention to my opinion.

23. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread