Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast
    Premier Web Affiliates Revealed, Profiled

LAS VEGAS, NV, Jun 13, 2005 Molander & Associates Inc. has released the first of its new information-based products, The Affiliate List (theaffiliatelist.com ). The list helps marketers meet the top 200 retail-focused Web affiliates and provides a standardized approach to measuring them. It also helps affiliate managers monitor affiliate activity like adware and download usage.

"TheAffiliateList takes a good deal of the work and the mystery out of finding and qualifying the best affiliates within the retail sector and beyond its a must have weapon in an affiliate managers arsenal, says Shawn Collins of Shawn Collins Consulting.

"I was simply stunned when I saw this list. It's a gold mine for online retail affiliate programs, says Beth Kirsch Online Marketing Manager at Audible.com. These are the sites we all want to partner with and the list will help managers save time... navigating through the labyrinth of recruiting top performing, high quality, value-added affiliates. It's a must have in the tool box for any affiliate manager."

This list not only provides marketers with the cream-of-the-crop affiliates, it allows for an affiliate manager to understand specific facts about each affiliate so he or she can make an informed decision about working with that partner, said Jeff Molander, CEO of Molander & Associates Inc.

Molander & Associates Inc. recently expanded outside of consulting into the publishing and production of "knowledge products that help e-commerce managers and decision-makers scale their most valuable resource: time. The company's clients include start-up ventures and established firms ranging from multi-channel retailers, catalogers, service marketers and agencies to entrepreneurs, investors, analysts and others seeking to invest in performance marketing and advertising strategies.
    (A Source)
    Continued Success,

Haiko
    The secret of success is constancy of purpose ~ Disraeli

As expressed by Trusty in this thread:

Quote Originally Posted by TrustNo1
    It was going to be about a certain affiliate list out there for sale, top 200 affiliates. Lots of info about those affiliates that looks like it's meant for Affiliate Managers, full contact info, talking about their business model, their PPC strategy, lots of useful info. And clicking thru the Paypal buy button, looks like i could have bought it if i wanted too. I was just curious for those AM's that might have bought it if they knew where all this info came from? And if the affiliates on that list gave their OK or if they would mind all the info being sold, most likely to AMs and possibly to their competition. That's all. Maybe a mod can chance the title of the thread. The Top Affiliates List.
    Continued Success,

Haiko

Well, I saw that too and have mixed feelings about it. At first, as someone getting into the OPM biz, I thought "What a useful tool" but then as an affiliate I thought "If my info was in there for just anyone to buy, I wouldn't be too happy." It will be interesting to see affiliate comments on this.
    Greg Rice Affiliate Program Management
    www.gocmc.com info(AT)gocmc.com | 330-259-1223

Join us! - MiNeeds.com | DiscountCandleShop/CheeseSupply | Feng Shui Plaza

Of course the "Usual suspects" are quoted in the release, I really if the affs really did agree to be profiled and have all this information exposed. Gee I wonder where they got the list? AffTrack? It sure wasn't Arelis!!!!!
    Continued Success,

Haiko

15 years and counting
    That's why I've a mixed feeling too about some Affiliate Managers.
    I'm pretty sure all the 200 affiliates listed didn't agree to have all their information made public.
    Look at THE LIST, ?dref=list after the home page. Pretty revealing.

15 years and counting
    Haiko - Gee I wonder where they got the list? AffTrack?
    If it's not coming from AffTrack, it can be coming from a network (remember his former position at Performics) or a few AMs he knows so well.

So... for $200 they can buy your info such as:

Full Contact Information
    (Preferred e-mail and/or Web Form, Telephone, Physical Location/Address, etc.)

SPAM Blacklist Status and Recent History
    IP Address, Server Location, Noteworthy URLs Registered to IP
    DNS Registration History (Total Changes and Significant Changes)

just to name a few listed - wow
    Ebudae

Internet Cowboy
    If I was of the mind to steal the design and/or content of a successful affiliate site, $199 is a bargain to get information on 200 sites to steal from. This list will be a spammer's and content thief's best buddy.

Outsourced Program Manager Jorge - SHOPiMAR's Avatar
    At first, as someone getting into the OPM biz
    Good point Greg.

What's the value difference, when as an AM you can make your own accurate, up-to-date, ethical list. It could come back to haunt you later as it almost is now.

As an OPM I make my own list from scratch. I would never buy, ask for or share such a list from anyone, not even want them free. BTW, It has been offered to me once. I said, quick. NO, it was not another ABW OPM, thank goodness.

I prefer to communicate direct with all affiliates big or small and hope for affiliates to communicate back with me so we can all win and make $.

Affiliates you should never authorize for such things to be given out. I wouldn't!

Wonder how many superduperdupingbhoetcaffiliates are on that list. No, I'm just jealous -- I would be lucky to appear on a so-so affiliates list.

Hey! Someone, do it! With a little more privacy, though . . .

Quote Originally Posted by jrami
    Good point Greg.

What's the value difference, when as an AM you can make your own accurate, up-to-date, ethical list. It could come back to haunt you later as it almost is now.

As an OPM I make my own list from scratch. I would never buy, ask for or share such a list from anyone, not even want them free. BTW, It has been offered to me once. I said, quick. NO, it was not another ABW OPM, thank goodness.

I prefer to communicate direct with all affiliates big or small and hope for affiliates to communicate back with me so we can all win and make $.

Affiliates you should never authorize for such things to be given out. I wouldn't!
    I agree. From an AM view it seemed like a good idea at first. From an affiliate view, it doesn't look so good. Granted, I don't yet have a list of top affiliates but, like you, I wouldn't want to share that with anyone-much less sell it. It makes me wonder what they were thinking. Being in this biz, they surely must know how affiliates would feel about such a list.
    Greg Rice Affiliate Program Management
    www.gocmc.com info(AT)gocmc.com | 330-259-1223

Join us! - MiNeeds.com | DiscountCandleShop/CheeseSupply | Feng Shui Plaza

15 years and counting
    From their Privacy Policy:
    Affiliate partner related information is collected by M&A through a number of third party resources. All information contained in The Affiliate List is publicly accessible and widely available.
    If it's widely available why is he selling it?

ABW Ambassador
    Oh, it has to be started someplace, so where does the info to even know who to start looking up come from? It's got to be people who know something to begin with.

Publicly available or not, it's still information hunted down to make merchandise of people's lives and privacy without their permission for personal profit.

It's a violation of trust and it's dirty.

ABW Ambassador
    Poor shawn collins, once again he is unlucky enough to have something sleazy get associated with him, and of course once again that picture. Poor poor shawn, always getting screwed... never his fault... just bad company... always log rolling with the worst of them...

Chet

http and a telephoto
    Staying on topic is a good thing
    Last edited by loxly; June 22nd, 2005 at 02:21 PM.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

Quote Originally Posted by chetf
    Poor shawn collins, once again he is unlucky enough to have something sleazy get associated with him, and of course once again that picture. Poor poor shawn, always getting screwed... never his fault... just bad company... always log rolling with the worst of them...

Chet
    lol

and if I was a few minutes early I could have seen what Haiko said ...... whenever I see 'This message has been deleted', I wonder why it was deleted.
    hehe

dang I was #201 lol maybe next year.

All kidding aside, If I was contactated by someone out of the blue I would know how they found out about me instantly. Since I only work with so many am's and not all of them know all my sites I could figure it out that way. Just takes a little research.
    Vinny O'Hare - OPM - Contact Info email: vinny at teamloxly.com ~ 702-582-6742 Twitter

ABW Ambassador
    Those were some of my major questions, where exactly the info came from. Like how do you get this: AdWords Paid Advertising Activity (Trademarks, Competitors, etc.)
    I'll be the first to admit i'm technically challenged so i guess it's not by manually typing every known merchant in the SE and seeing who pops up. Is it some type of monitoring program or something? Also i don't know if those affiliates on the list would be happy with that info being sold or even know it's being sold and who can buy it. The list looks to be meant for AM's but was there any consideration on how those affiliates might feel? I guess some might be ok with it but i would bet most wouldn't. But i don't know that for sure, just guessing, maybe we should start a poll and find out? Merchants and affiliates are supposed to be partners, this just doesn't give me a warm feeling. If you have a question, just ask. I had a nice conversation yesterday with AM, no problem. Relationship building, trust building. I don't see how this helps that. I'm trying to picture an AM finding an affiliate thru the list and the affiliate finding out how they found them. I know i wouldn't like it. My Adwords history with other merchants is none of their business along with some of the other info available. Jeff i see you reading this, so let's have a conversation about it. Not meant to be a flame thread but i seriously am curious to what people think on both sides. I can understand the curiousity but i don't think this helps build relationships between merchants and affiliates.

Troll Killer and best Snooper!
    I decide when the pigs fly!
    These people know how important privacy and confidentiality is in this business. I can't imagine they're going to make enough money to cover the bad will they'll generate in the aff community. Not that any of them has a spiffy reputation anyway, but still...bad, bad move.

Affiliate Manager
    Another reason why I don't think it's desirable on the AM side either, is because once the list startes getting around the affiliates are going to be swamped and overloaded with calls and offers. I would not want to get my affiliates that way.

Why am I not surprised that our old friend Shawn Collins or at least his henchmen is behind this kind of crap? How is it that scam merchants seem to band together?

You can bet your bottom dollar this kind of info is coming from AffTrack.

I personaly would not trust a single one of these assoles with one iota of personal info on me.
    If they thought they could make a quick buck by selling snippets of their grandmothers hair their poor bloody grannies would be bald by now.
    One day parasites and their ilk will be made illegal, I bet a few Lawyers will be pissed off when the day comes.
    Mr. Spitzer is fetching it nearer

YouTrek

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    Affiliate partner related information is collected by M&A through a number of third party resources. All information contained in The Affiliate List is publicly accessible and widely available.
    What IS NOT widely available, is the info on whether the sites are "top affiliates" or not!

The problem isn't that he can look in the whois. The problem is that he has correlated that data with site performance information. Far from being "publicly accessible and widely available," how a site performs is proprietary data!

Molander & Associates Inc.
    Figures.
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

Domain Addict / Formerly known as elbowcreek Thomas A. Rice's Avatar
    I wonder if any parasitic affiliates are in that list AMs are buying. Wouldn't that just crank your truck.
    Following everyone else is a GREAT way to become average.

Domain Addict / Formerly known as elbowcreek Thomas A. Rice's Avatar
    - - - - -
    The problem is that he has correlated that data with site performance information.
    - - - - -

Excellent point, Leader.
    Following everyone else is a GREAT way to become average.

Wasn't this the reason that LS started the extra type in code when you log in - the numbers and letters.

There was some kind of program that was accessing the affiliates accounts. If memory serves, this program gave promises to help affiliates figure out how much they were making with who.

But, the big stink at the time was that it was also collecting info in order to make money by selling info to merchants - but I recall they said at the time that no identifying info would be given out.

Some of you old timers help me remember where that thread was..
    Ebudae

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast