Invalid credit card
    2 sales were reversed yesterday for invalid credit card. Well, it's common and normal, you may say but I find it hard to believe. Maybe I am wrong somewhere or someone can help me to understand this problem.

What I understand is, usually or rather in practice, merchants will ensure that the credit cards are approve for payment before they count it as sales and then only they will ship out. Normally they are shipped out within the next two days if there are stock.

Now, I had one sale on the 12th June and the other on the 17th June and both were reversed yesterday 22nd June after a lapse of 10days and 6days for invalid credit card as shown on the transaction details.

The invalid credit card should be known within a day if not immediate when the customer sign up to make purchase. How come it takes so many days for the credit card to be rejected and how are the merchants going to claim back their products if they are already shipped out and don't tell me that they have yet to shipped out after so many days?

I could not understand how this transactions work out.

Thanks

Richard

15 years and counting
    How come it takes so many days for the credit card to be rejected and how are the merchants going to claim back their products if they are already shipped out and don't tell me that they have yet to shipped out after so many days?
    I'm pretty sure the invalid credit card is known within a day or so but the reversal in the CJ system is done manually by the merchant. Some of them wait up to the last limit to reverse the transaction. (30 days or 60 days if extended) You'll see a bunch of invalid credit card transactions a few days before the 10 (cut off day at CJ)

ABW Ambassador
    Some merchants try and contact the buyer, others batch those returns so they don't get noted directly.

I'm pretty sure the invalid credit card is known within a day or so but the reversal in the CJ system is done manually by the merchant. Some of them wait up to the last limit to reverse the transaction. (30 days or 60 days if extended) You'll see a bunch of invalid credit card transactions a few days before the 10 (cut off day at CJ)
    If this is the case, then we have to depend on the honesty of the merchants 101%

Quote Originally Posted by megatonloh
    If this is the case, then we have to depend on the honesty of the merchants 101%

That's the name of the game...

what if we have a HUGE amount of invalid credit card reversals from one particular merchant and question their honesty. Besides giving up the ship, how can we double-check sales? Is there some kind of big brither watching you software/code?

How can the customer possibly complete an order and arrive at a confirmation page with a tracking pixel if their credit card is not valid? Have you ever made an online purchase where the processor did not confirm the validity of your card before allowing the transaction to be completed?

They probably used a stolen card.

I have had instances my self where the same merchant approved one of my cards while automatically declining the other..... mind you that both the cards were easily approved (and declined) at various other establishment. Its difficult to understand though.... maybe a merchant or tech guy could put in their thoughts.

"instances my self where the same merchant approved one of my cards while automatically declining the other"

In other words, the payment processor at least checked with the card issuer before letting the transaction take place.

Why is it that I never get an invalid credit card reversal except with CJ merchants? It seems stupid to me that an individual would use a stolen credit card to place an order knowing that the police could trace them to the shipping address. There would be no point to ordering merchandise if you have no valid shipping address. I have had my credit card rejected when making an online purchase at the very time of making the purchase. Usually there is a mistake with the process or an error was made in typing in the info.
    This could be a convenient means of avoiding a commission. It, also, seems to occur only with certain merchants and does not just happen with large purchases. A $7 purchase reversed because of an invalid credit card seems rather odd.

Gene
    TCS

This is relatively common, simply because of the amount of fraud purchases (and/or attempted fraud).

Sometimes, it's caught right away during the checkout. Sometimes, it's caught during the order review stage (checking billing / shipping / etc. to make sure everything is o.k.). Sometimes it's an obvious fraud, other times the company might make a few attempts to contact the buyer to verify the information before giving up and cancelling the sale.

Sometimes, although rare, it's not caught until after the order has shipped. In that case, the merchant can pretty much guarantee that the product is long gone.

You'd think it would be easier to catch these folks, since things are being shipped to a physical location, but it isn't easy.

Plus... let's not forget the people who are just "testing out" your cart, or playing around. This can include competitors looking to see how your cart works and what you're doing better than they are, or kids just poking around, having some "fun."

There are a few common "test" credit card numbers that will allow a purchase to complete, even though the credit card number is nonsense (kind of like the 555-.... telephone number everyone on TV and Movies seems to have).

Paul

Is there anything that can be done to see if these invalid credit cards are really stolen cards or the merchant is really trying to steal our commissions?

In our system invalid cards are found when we process orders which is usually the same business day that the order is made. However our system gives the customer a chance to fix their details as sometimes a invalid number, expiry, etc. has been entered. Then after two weeks the transaction is automatically canceled.

So instead of canceling the transaction on CJ immediatlely when card fails, I wait until before the 10th (when transactions lock) and then check the orders to see how they have turned out. I would never cancel a transaction unless it had been canceled on our system.

I can only hope that other Merchants treat their transaction with as much honesty as we do, but maybe this should at least shed light on why maybe transactions are not canceled immediately.

Hope this helps,

Amanda Hayes

It sounds to me that the merchants with bad credit card reversals have the tracking pixel in the wrong place.

The cart I use bounces the credit card in-front of the user. Now they can change the info to correct the problem or high tail it out because it was fraud. The order does not complete. The cart becomes abandond until the customer (if real) comes back and changes the information. Then the sale is marked and tagged complete. Now tracking is attached to the affiliate.

Looks to me like inferior shopping carts in-use by many merchants.

Allen
    Signup Now for our KiteandWind affiliate program exclusivly at Shareasale.
    * 7% + Bonus - 365 return days
    * 2nd Tier Signup Bonus - Parasite Free - Auto Deposit Merchant
    * Free Datafeed - PopShops- Performance Cash Bonus

Even online verification systems don't catch all potential fraud orders.

Plus, online verification systems only provide a "pre-approval." The actual charge cannot be placed against the credit card account until you are ready to ship the product. You'd be amazed what can happen to an account in the time between when an order is placed and when it's ready to ship.

Especially with custom items where it takes longerthan the temporary "authorization hold" stays on the account.

So.... the Invalid Credit Card option would also include situations where the card ended up declining when it came time to finalize the order... either because the person went out and spent the money on something else, or the true owner of the card finally realized that it was missing. And that could be another possible reason for a delayed report.

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by thecool
    Why is it that I never get an invalid credit card reversal except with CJ merchants? TCS
    Had three orders reversed for the same merchant today at LS. Incidentally they were the only transaction I had with that merchant. Never experienced a single reversal on account of invalid credit card at CJ though.

Quote Originally Posted by thecool
    Why is it that I never get an invalid credit card reversal except with CJ merchants? It seems stupid to me that an individual would use a stolen credit card to place an order knowing that the police could trace them to the shipping address. There would be no point to ordering merchandise if you have no valid shipping address. ...
    Gene
    TCS
    Recently I received a snail mail receipt for an online order using my credit card number. The billing and shipping addresses were my address! I notified Visa and cancelled my card. They tracked the fraudulent order to the merchant! The merchant's address was a PO box.
    ~Ernie

19. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread