Talking Linkshare - Pasv Ftp Connection

Howdy everyone...I am new to this forum, but I will be a useful member. My designers are working on my Ecommerce Web Site and they are having a problems connecting to Linkshare's FTP site due to the designer's use of a 'pasv' ftp session. Has anyone run into this issue?

My designer wrote:

This version of the page connects to a public ftp site. The servers in the farm are behind a firewall. A regular (not pasv) ftp session uses two connections. The client (our server) connects to the ftp server. Then the ftp server opens another connection back to the client. I'm guessing that the second connection back to our server fails because of firewall issues. A pasv style session initiates both connections from the client. This approach works.

If you click the link for the test page above, you will see some return information that is basically a poorly formatted list of files in a directory on the remote server.

However, there is still a problem. When we input to the real linkshare.php page, it does not work. It has been tested using IE and it fails there too. It may be that the linkshare server does not support pasv style ftp connections. This implies that there is something specific to linkshare that is still a problem.

We are continuing to work on the issue but I wanted to update you on our progress. Is there a contact person at LinkShare that we can talk to about the issue?

***Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated....Thanks.....Rock on!

-Chad

Is there a contact person at LinkShare that we can talk to about the issue?

Obviously you have not read many of the posts here about Linkshares superb help service

Seriously try emailing Kalia here:- merchandiser-a(at)linkshare.com
    One day parasites and their ilk will be made illegal, I bet a few Lawyers will be pissed off when the day comes.
    Mr. Spitzer is fetching it nearer

YouTrek

Red face

Gordon,

Yea, I have read the posts on here about Linkshare's superb customer service. I have actually emailed Kalia several times and she has been somewhat helpful. I am just trying to get this problem solved. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks....

-Chad

I had a problem downloading my feeds for a week via my php script and yesterday it just corrected itself, both yesterday and today its downloaded them just fine after one week of not being able to connect to their server.

I've no idea how or what went wrong or even whats happened to correct it or I would tell you sorry.
    One day parasites and their ilk will be made illegal, I bet a few Lawyers will be pissed off when the day comes.

YouTrek

Wink
    Gordon:

Have you dealt with a pasv ftp session? If so, please advise me on how to resolve my problem. I have read the posts regarding problem with Linkshare's ftp server not supplying the data feeds. My designers and designing my site to use the XML data feeds. Which data feed format do you use? Again, do you use an active or pasv ftp session? Thanks so much for your feedback....

-Chad

I don't know the difference in a pasv ftp or an active ftp sorry. All I know is I use is a cronjob to run my script set up with the connection info like this.
    Sorry I'm not a very computer savvy guy. Hope this helps you.
    BTW I am set up for the merchandiser feed I dont know if this makes a difference.

$ftp_server = "aftp.linksynergy.com"; // FTP Server Address
    $ftp_username = "myusername"; // FTP Username
    $ftp_userpass = "mypassword"; // FTP Password

YouTrek

Thumbs up
    Gordon:

I am signed up for the Merchandizer Feeds as well. Do you know of any more feed sources? Please advise....

-Chad

thats the only one I know of from Linkshare. Maybe some other guys who are more clued up than me will know of some.

YouTrek

I don't know if it will add any more confusion or not but here is a portion of the shell script my cron job calls from my server that has the required static IP...getit.sh ...

#!/bin/bash

ftp -i -n <<HERE
    open aftp.linksynergy.com
    user USERNAME PASSWORD
    bin
    get 1565_140xxxx_mp.txt.gz
    get 2640_140xxxx_mp.txt.gz
    get 2860_140xxxx_mp.txt.gz
    get 3031_140xxxx_mp.txt.gz
    get 13565_140xxxx_mp.txt.gz
    get 13558_140xxxx_mp.txt.gz
    close
    quit
    HERE

=============================

The only other thing I remember we needed to tweak to get it running was to give the LS security my static IP and the basic IP for the server - I have a feeling it cares less about my static IP and pays attention to my host's server's IP.

I'm sorry that I have no idea whether we are using passive or active ftp - we are not calling any particular so whatever the Linux default is ...

Charles

10. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread