Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Question Dynamic Product Showcase Creator
    As anyone been using this? I belive the concept is good however the dpsc puts the products in a script tag. Search engine arn't able to crawl these script tags ,correct?

I used Kohl's DPSC to create a couple of pages. Real nice except that the links generated on the page do not work. They all go to 404 page. I don't think they are really ready to go live.

Gene
    TCS

ABW Ambassador
    Where can I get information on this function? I don't see anything about it in the Performics interface.

I received an email from Performics concerning the introduction of the DPSC.

At this time only HP Shopping, Kohl's, Sears, Eddie Bauer, AutoAnything, Blair, Bose, and Red Envelope have the DPSC. You must be a member of the merchants program to use it. It does not appear to be mentioned anywhere in Performics interface. It is listed as a textual link in the available links for each of these merchants. If you make the textual link, the link ID that is generated can be used to satisfy the lid required in the DPSC. I suggest you contact Performics at info 'at' performics.com and request the email regarding the DPSC, as that seems to be the only way to be able to create a showcase at this time.

Gene
    TCS

NetNow: You are correct. SE's cannot see the product information, however, it wouldn't be beneficial anyway since everyone else would have the same content. If you select the SEO Code "Show" option, you will get the product names in an HTML comment which SE's can see. However, you should have your own content on your site as ultimately that is what adds value to your affiliate site. The PSC is not for cloning merchant sites.

thecool: In order to get links that work, you need a PSC LID. If you are joined with that merchant, you can find information on each merchant's PSC config page on how to get a PSC LID.
    Akiva Bergstrom | akiva@affsolutions.com | 718-871-8286

Affiliate Marketing Solutions by affSolutions - Creator of the Product Showcase Creator™

Managed Programs: EssentialApparel.com (Join) | SportsFanfare.com (Join)

Affiliates: Product Showcase Creator Directory | Merchants: License the Product Showcase Creator™!

ABW Ambassador
    Thanks everyone - this is very helpful!

Akiva,

I suppose I did not make myself clear. I have done exactly as outlined in the procedure to produce a Link id for the DPSC. The page that is generated is very good but when you click on the products listed on the page, you go to a 404 page. Each of the product links have the same lid. It is as though the product links are not active.

Gene
    TCS

Gene,

If you are getting a 404, that means the LID is not active on Performics end or you could be entering an extra digit etc. If you email or PM me your LID I can try to figure it out.

Affiliate Marketing Solutions by affSolutions - Creator of the Product Showcase Creator™

Affiliates: Product Showcase Creator Directory | Merchants: License the Product Showcase Creator™!

Akiva,

You are correct. Somehow the lid inserted an extra digit. I had 18 digits instead of the 17 required. Correction has been made. Thank you.

Gene
    TCS

I'll be interested to know what everyone thinks about the Blair.com PSC. Akiva's product is fantastic, and I think it should prove to be a great tool.
    Christopher Park
    Affiliate/Partnerships Manager
    Blair.com
    cjpark@blair.com
    (814)726-6074
    AIM: BLAIRAffiliates
    Twitter: BLAIRAffiliates

ABW Ambassador
    I wouldn't personally use pre-prepared product text intact for search engine purposes and wouldn't use all the products generated either, I'd rather use select ones and pull others off. I re-write (or do from scratch) product descriptions and use them as a good part of my page content for SEO.

I guess others may be comfortable using everything as is (and they probably make a LOT more $ than I do), but for the engines I want maximum control of the text that's on the pages and where and how it's used. But that's just me, everyone's different - not everyone is an SEO fanatic or does things the long, hard, tedious way like I do.

That said, it can create a bit of problem when changing products when my text is in the product descriptions because the changes can affect s/e placement after they're made and it won't show up until there's an update a few weeks later.

ABW Ambassador
    A few further thoughts. For those pitiful souls who are anal enough to do things the long, hard way (like me), an extra minute or two won't make too much of a difference.

It is worth a try to make a page, upload it to a directory that's excluded from crawlers, grab what the browser shows (including the JS that the crawlers *could* see if they wanted to but don't parse) and just put the page on their HD, customize it, and it's good to go with most of the work already done. Not much difference between 60 minutes and 63 minutes to do a page or two or three, is there? But anal people are notoriously nit-picky about everything, aren't they (we)?.

People are getting zapped by the engines left and right for duplicate content, so for the people who just copy and paste and put things up, this can protect them against themselves. They'll just have to do some w*rk to get rankings.

>>Search engine arn't able to crawl these script tags ,correct?

Exactly, but they can see them with a hand check by a human with a browser, can't they? So maybe some sites that would otherwise have been penalized for duplicate content (and/or laziness, take your pick) won't be. It'll take additional unique, optimized content on the pages, or customizing the product listings with an extra step or two (aka w*rk) to get rankings.

Added:

Performics has to be absolutely the most abominable, hard-to-use, cumbersone and featureless network imaginable, but for people who need product from some of their merchants, this is a milestone breakthrough.
    Last edited by webworker; June 28th, 2005 at 09:06 PM.

Smile PSC Directory
    Akiva,

How soon can we expect to see the Directory updated to reflect the merchants from Performics? The email that we received seems to be the only source for accessing each merchants interface. The only clue on Performics is the generation of a PSC lid.

Woolrich has the lid generation text link, but there does not seem to be any interface yet for making pages.

Gene
    TCS

Blair DPSC images
    Chris,

I don't know if your data base has been updated yet, but your small images are still the same size as the large images. Will keep checking, but can't make any product pages until the image size is corrected.

Gene
    TCS

I've been informed by Performics that the small images in the Blair.com PSC should be available by the end of this week.
    Christopher Park
    Blair.com
    cjpark@blair.com
    (814)726-6074

If you selected Large images, once I receive the feed from Performics with the large images and load it, large images will display instantly on your site without any further change.

Akiva,

Large images are not the desired agenda here. When selecting small images, you get the large images instead of the small ones. As I told Chris, I am waiting for small images in order to fit the display to my page format.

Thanks,

Gene
    TCS

Akiva:

The small images weren't originally in the feed you were receiving, but they should be there now.
    Christopher Park
    Blair.com
    cjpark@blair.com
    (814)726-6074

At this time, there still are no small images. Both image selections still produce the same large images.

Gene
    TCS

Chris, Performics hasn't sent me the need feed format yet. As soon as I get confirmation from Performics of the new data, I'll redo the config to show the small images.

Exclamation
    Akiva,

The DPSC for Sportsman's Guide has the same image problem as Blair. The small and large image choices both produce pages with large images.

Gene
    TCS

Bump

Gene,

That's all I'm being provided with at the moment. I will forward your feedback on to the right people, though.

Akiva,

Thanks,

Gene
    TCS

Angry Kohl's DPSC
    Akiva,

All links generated by the DPSC are going to 404 pages when clicked upon.

Or a page is generated that says "Please click here to visit Kohls.com".

Can you see to this right away. I'm begining to think these Performics merchants are not quite ready to properly support the DPSC.

Thanks,

Gene
    TCS

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast