Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Question How our your AWS stores doing in Google?
    Any one get crushed at the last Update? I went from over 1,000,000 URLs indexed in Google to 36,600 listings.

Luckly Yahoo came along and started indexing them.

AWS stores are dead. Move on.

ah they are not dead at all, I'm still doing better this year with them than last year.
    Heidi
    "Happy are those who dream dreams and are willing to pay the price to make them come true"

Hi Nintendo

My stores are still new and growing, but I expect them to get wacked because 99% of Amazon stores seem to fit the profile for G's new "thin affiliate" definition.

Yahoo still loves Amazon stores and is driving most of my traffic.
    There's good, fast and cheap. Pick any two.
    [url=http://www.topranksolutions.com]Phoenix SEO[/url] :: [url=http://www.tech-evangelist.com/category/affiliate-marketing/]Affiliate Marketing Tutorials[/url]

I'm still alive, though as pointed out above, Yahoo! is my main source of traffic.

Sean

Hi All,

What's "AWS", and "G's new "thin affiliate" definition"... Please explain it for the ignorant?

Thanks and Love You,
    HumbleFish

AWS - Amazon Web Services: pulling product info from Amazon. It's fairly easy to build your own storefront on top of Amazon.

Someone leaked an internal policy paper from Google that defines thin affiliates as those that provide little value. ie, what value does your site provide over going to Amazon directly?

Sean

Hi SeanW, thanks for the info... I think I must have a thin site cause google don't like me to good... AWS, is that like a datafeed; and what kind of skills do you need to do it?

It's like a datafeed in that it provides product information. You can do it real time, ie a user hits your page, you do an AWS call to find out the best product, or you can do it offline, ie download a category of books.

You use either SOAP or REST to connect to it, so almost any language that can request a web page can do it. Personally, I use the REST interface and then write Perl code to download the XML and parse it. While SOAP is cleaner, I found my computer taking several seconds to parse each response when I did it that way, so I switched to REST.

Through your affiliates account you can read up on AWS and see sample code. There's lots of information out there, too.

Sean

Thanks Sean, does Amazon have instuctions on that and does it cost extra?

They have lots of docs online, have a look.

It's free. You have to sign up for a developer token to use it, and they limit your requests to 1/second

Sean

According to some stats that I read, 85% of Amazon associates use REST because it's faster and easier to work with.

There are a lot of free scripts out there that will get you started.
    [url=http://www.topranksolutions.com]Phoenix SEO[/url] :: [url=http://www.tech-evangelist.com/category/affiliate-marketing/]Affiliate Marketing Tutorials[/url]

Quote Originally Posted by Tech Evangelist
    There are a lot of free scripts out there that will get you started.
    Also check cusimano, he has a script and a forum and this board if you want a ready made site
    Rosey Bear Boutique
    Dressy Children's Fashions With Style!
    5% Commission : NYS Merch : Parasite FREE
       Akoss Hosting
    We also provide reseller accounts for ABW members.
    Ask for details

Thanks Everyone,

Sean, what's a "developer token"?... I'm signed up as a associate is that the same thing?

It's different... It's tied to your associate account, but it's a number that you pass with every web services call that identifies you.

Go to the Associate login screen, choose "Web Services" at the bottom, "Click here to participate in our free Web Services program", and the "Register"

Sean

Thanks Sean, I might give it a look if I get extra time.

Thanks for the Help and Time, sorry Everyone I highjacked the thread, and Love You,
    HumbleFish

My AWS site is still oscillating between a few hundred pages listed and several thousand -- I was perturbed when they modified the image structure a few weeks back though...I hate having to update code that was previously working (nice communication).

To me, the AWS isn't so much about making money, but about leverage.

Cygnus

How are the AWS sites now after the latest google filter ?

My AWS site is still going strong (knock on wood), traffic is similar to weeks before.

Sean

Mine has gone from about 10,000 to 500,000+ in this update.

I put up an Amazon Store a while back to just see what it was all about and never really spent any time with it after that. Well the three major SEs have picked it up and indexed an average of 1000 pages each. It gets only a handful of sales but quite a few hits per day. Evidently the shopper sees it as weak. Would there be any tips to getting some of these visits to convert. The log shows them as in and out fast.

I started pulling in the "what's related" information and prominently display that. Silly me for not measuring the impact accurately, but I have noticed that some people hit those links.

Sean

Has anyone tried putting a "no follow" tag on your amazon links as to avoid getting labeled a "thin affiliate" by Google?

Sure, this means none of your amazon pages will be indexed by google, but at least this means your non-amazon content on your site will still have good SERP and PR.

Using the "nofollow" attribute will not do anything to prevent a site from being labeled as a thin affiliate. The thin affiliate label is applied mostly due to duplicate content in conjunction with affiliate links.

The best thing to do to avoid getting hit as a thin affiliate is to differentiate your content from all other sites and provide value added services, such as price comparisons, independent product reviews, etc.

Also, the nofollow attribute will not prevent your site from getting indexed. It is intended to prevent spiders from following the links to the merchant's site. To be more precise, it is intended to prevent a site from passing link popularilty value. In other words, the receiving site does not get credit for the link.

All my Amazon stores use the nofollow attribute on Amazon links and two have over 150,000 pages indexed by Google. I don't know how long that will last. By Google's definition, they are thin affiliate sites.

Thanks for the lesson. Bear with me here, I'm kinda new at this.

What if you used a "NOINDEX" tag or a robots exclusions protocol to stop Google from indexing the thousands of amazon pages generated by your amazon shop?

I have a legitimate website and I'm considering adding an extensive amazon store. It is, actually, going to be very similar to your site at toprankssolutions.com: a bunch of legit articles and a amazon shop dedicated to the topic of the website.

Is toprankssolutions considered a "thin affiliate" site? The site, overall, has added value right? It has SEO articles. The amazon section, however, does not have added value--it is purely information drawn from Amazon.

So is the whole website penalized for having the thin-affiliate Amazon section? Or is only the Amazon section penalized while the SEO article section remain in good standings with Google?

I guess part of my confusion is over whether the "value added" has to exist on the amazon pages themselves, or that it is ok to add value to other pages of the website (like articles) without adding things like price comparison engines.
    Last edited by pokerturkey; November 10th, 2005 at 12:45 AM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast