4th of July "Dead Person Campaign" Contest
    "Dead Person Campaign"

Are Merchants and their Live Parasites ignoring affiliates?
    On 4th of July, let’s wake-up and raise the Affiliates’ Banner Warning (ABW).
    A Warning Banner sending the message to our millions of clients (and our Merchants), from our billions of pages, thousands times a day, “DON’T TRUST LPs FOR YOUR ORDERS”
    Let’s see who has the guts! Merchants or Affiliates?
    Let the “Design the ABW Campaign Banners” contest, begin!

As It is said by Haiko de Poel, Jr.: it's pathetic to work your fingers to the bone, only to have your commission diverted to someone else. The benefit to the merchant is the chance to upsell and create a larger order so this justifies the commission to the LP rep, but if they pop up on the affiliate traffic, they are violating basic contract law ... the terms of their affiliate agreement with you [the affiliate]. So the merchant has to do a few things, these being:

1) identify such activity in their TOS; and /or
    2) not use LP on affiliate traffic
    3) Amend their commission terms so that the affiliate would still earn for sending the raw traffic (ie adding a CPC deal).

Won't work. Customers LIKE LPs. And, they don't give a damn if we get paid. In fact, some of them would rather we didn't. They will clear their cookies. Try typing the merchant URL in directly after they see who we link to and go out of their way in many ways to ensure we don't get paid. What makes you think they want to help us in any way what-so-ever?

Many customers think we are the scum of the earth. We are blamed for everything from drive-by downloads to bad search results. They have no regard for affiliate marketers at all and the last thing they want to do is help us.

They do not think we help them find what they are looking for. They think we interfer with their ability to find what they want at the "real" merchant site quickly and easily. That is not true, of course. The merchant can't rank on all their items and without AM customers might never find the product they want at all. But, customers don't know that.

I sure wouldn't look to the general public to be either interested, want to help or to believe a word you tell them.
    Comments are opinion unless otherwise noted. Remember, pillage first. Then burn. Half of all people in the world have IQs under 100. You best learn to trust ol' SSanf!

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    I don't think real customers think so badly of us.

In fact, I don't think real customers give us a second thought one way or the other! They just want to find the product they're after, and if they have to click another link to get there, so be it...

BTW I'm moving this thread into the Cafe since it's not specific to Overstock.
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

ABW Ambassador
    What Leader said!
    The consumers don't see us.
    Last edited by Merchant Consultant Team; June 25th, 2005 at 08:56 AM. Reason: typo

Outsourced Program Manager Chris -  AMWSO's Avatar
    Better yet drop all the merchants you work with that work with parasites, everyone of them!

Cheers

Chris
    Affiliate Marketing by AMWSO. Skype - chrissanderson ::: TEL 1-720-336-1784 ::: www.amwso.net
    Join our affiliate programs :Vaper Empire, Iolo, Art of Tea, or See ALL our Programs here

Quote Originally Posted by Leader
    I don't think real customers think so badly of us.

In fact, I don't think real customers give us a second thought one way or the other! They just want to find the product they're after, and if they have to click another link to get there, so be it...

BTW I'm moving this thread into the Cafe since it's not specific to Overstock.
    I agree, just ask 10 people you know "What are affiliates?" and you'll get a blank stare. The vast majority have no idea we exist.
    Greg Rice Affiliate Program Management
    www.gocmc.com info(AT)gocmc.com | 330-259-1223

Join us! - MiNeeds.com | DiscountCandleShop/CheeseSupply | Feng Shui Plaza

Well, they still like LPs and don't give a damn about us.
    Comments are opinion unless otherwise noted. Remember, pillage first. Then burn. Half of all people in the world have IQs under 100. You best learn to trust ol' SSanf!

ABW Ambassador
    I think there are probably some at search engines who lump us all into a bundle as spamming trailer trash, but they aren't the general public. In fact, probably the ones who hate us the most are the wannabe newbies who consider our sites

Sites
    Positioned
    Above
    Mine

Neither are they the general public, though they sure make a lot of noise at forums, especially during and after search engine updates. Example (they've allowed links to ABW, I guess it's OK to link to them):

Best Place to report Affiliate type sites

http://forums.searchenginewatch.com/...ead.php?t=6163

On another note, a problem arises with pulling links to merchants when we've already got pages ranking and traffic already coming in for search terms/products and there are NO clean merchants for those type of products, not the specifics and sometimes not in the price range that would convert. Mostly just not available except at dirty merchants.

9. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread