Disk Space Question
    I was looking at the disk space where one of my sites is hosted and it seems massive compared to what is permitted. The limit is 50 MB and somehow mine is at 486.51 MB. Now excuse my ignorance (again and again) but I assume that is how big my site is, right? Not how much traffic I get. Or is it how much I transfer files..etc?

All it says on the report is - disk space. I am curious how much other people's "disk space" is just for the sake of comparison. Thanks!
    leeann

Shoppers determine what has value and they like coupons. Stop manipulating who set the cookie just because you do not like coupon and promotional sites.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    Disk space: You're right--it's how big your site is, ie, how much room on the disk your files are taking up. It has nothing to do with file transfer; that's bandwidth.

As for being way over limit, that can happen if the web host didn't enable a hard cutoff on the server.

But since you are over the limit, if the host gets short of space, or just catches it, they may pull things. Your host may be being nice or just not care about the overage--but best to make backups of your site and keep them on your own computer just in case (if you don't already have backups).

I am curious how much other people's "disk space" is just for the sake of comparison.
    Biggest site: 1.74 GB
    Smallest (sales) site: 5.64 MB

And I've got other sites with everything in between.
    I'm on a dedicated server, so there's no limits to my site sizes except the physical capacity of the disk.
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

If you're surprised at the space it's taking then maybe it's your stats logs rather than your site.

Some hosts give you the option via your control panel to recycle logs every month, week, 24 hours etc. If you do this, the overall stats are retained, but not the individual details that generate those stats. If you or you host don't clear them, they'll but up pretty quickly.

Thanks Leader - I'd love to have a dedicated server but I'm afraid that the consultation fees would be astronomical because I know zero about what is involved.
    leeann

Shoppers determine what has value and they like coupons. Stop manipulating who set the cookie just because you do not like coupon and promotional sites.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Ward
    If you're surprised at the space it's taking then maybe it's your stats logs rather than your site.

Some hosts give you the option via your control panel to recycle logs every month, week, 24 hours etc. If you do this, the overall stats are retained, but not the individual details that generate those stats. If you or you host don't clear them, they'll but up pretty quickly.
    I have to go in and generate them every few days because it clears off. I have very few image files so I really don't know what is running up the size. I don't have any huge files that I can see other than the database. I'll check out the stats logs anyway and make sure it's not just sitting there. I don't use the webmail function and I did find a ton of junk adding up in there. I didn't even realize I had to go in and delete it all.

Thanks
    leeann

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    If you have a few thousand standard pages, that'd eat up a lot of disk space. Those big sites I mentioned, for the most part, are just pages. But like drops of water, what's tiny in the singular can add up to a deluge when done in quantity. I have my log files on rotation, so they don't pile up too much.

Quote Originally Posted by leeann
    Thanks Leader - I'd love to have a dedicated server but I'm afraid that the consultation fees would be astronomical because I know zero about what is involved.
    For one site, it probably wouldn't be cost-effective (unless it's some giant ecommerce engine like Amazon, of course). When I went for a server, one of the big reasons was because I had lots of sites--and all the little hosting plans I had were costing me almost as much as a managed server would. ("Managed" means that they do most of the technical stuff (the stuff that you'd need the astronomical consultation fees for)).
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

Ditto to above. Keep multiple back-ups of your site on a hard drive at home plus on a CD-Rom if possible. Plus do check your stat log files again since those files to be the most dynamic and can add pretty quickly especially if your web site has become more popular lately.

I'll defintely make multiple back-ups. Thanks kco
    leeann

Quote Originally Posted by leeann
    I'll defintely make multiple back-ups. Thanks kco
    I copy the log files to my hard drive, then write two copies to CD, then after I'm sure they're readable, I delete them from the host. No set schedule to do it, probably every 6 months or so.

Check too, unless I missed it earlier in the thread, if there's a catchall for email that you didn't know about or forgot to configure. Mine had made it up to 90Meg before I noticed it, so big I had to (no loss, all spam) delete it as it was too big to open. Then I reconfigured to send it directly to trash instead of accumulating. Each host is different in how that's handled so may not be the case for you.

10. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread