Smile A Heartwarming Story
    Here's a heartwarming story about the bond formed between a little girl and some construction workers. This will make you believe that we CAN make a difference when we give a child the gift of our time...

A young family moved into a house next door to a vacant lot. One day, a construction crew came in and began building a house on the empty lot.

The family's 5-year-old daughter became interested in all the activity going on next door and spent much of each day observing the workers

Eventually, the construction crew, all of them gems-in-the-rough, more or less adopted her as a project mascot. They chatted with her, let her sit with them while they took coffee and lunch breaks, and gave her little jobs to do here and there to make her feel important.

At the end of the first week, the men presented her with a pay envelope which contained $20.00 . The little girl took this home to her mother , who said all the appropriate words of admiration , and suggested that they take the money she received to the bank to start a savings account.

When they talked to the bank teller , she was equally impressed and asked the little girl how she had earned her very own pay check at such a young age. The child proudly replied, "I worked last week with the crew building the house next door to us. "My goodness gracious," said the teller "and will you be working on the house again this week, too?"

The little girl replied, "I will if those holes at Home Depot ever deliver the f ' sheet rock..."

Kind of brings a tear to the eye.
    Travelin' Man

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will lead you there." -- unknown

Okay - my first thought when reading this was what in the world was that mom thinking allowing her 5 year old daughter hang out at a construction site, with men, all week, alone.

But the ending made me laugh. Cute.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

The big shots are only the little shots who keep shooting.
    -Christopher Morley

I love that Travelin Man.

It sure fetched back some great memories of when I was in construction back in the UK.

We were a real rough and ready bunch in those days and I would not have allowed my either of my daughters bring home anyone who was remotely anything like me or any of my my work buddies yet we all enjoyed nothing more than making young kids feel very useful and giving them small things to do if it was at all possible.

We loved to listen to them whilst we were having our coffee breaks, some of the stuff they would tell us was x rated and gave us lots of laughs.

Great days, I wish I could still do it. Thanks for the story.
    One day parasites and their ilk will be made illegal, I bet a few Lawyers will be pissed off when the day comes.
    Mr. Spitzer is fetching it nearer

YouTrek

@Zimmy, Gordon,

Yup, the joke threw me too when I first started to read it (didn't know it was a joke). It makes you think "what the hell" until the end. Ah, no Mom in her right mind would let her 5 year old daughter hang with construction workers. But it's okay for 5 year old boys to hang with MJ.
    Travelin' Man

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will lead you there." -- unknown

Quote Originally Posted by Travelin Man
    @Zimmy, Gordon,
    But it's okay for 5 year old boys to hang with MJ.
    They don't hang with Michael, they only sleep with him! Duh!!!

Nature

6. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread