eBay Affiliate Troubles.
    I'm a new eBay affiliate with some incredible new natural search traffic. I have incredibly high search engine rankings in Yahoo, MSN, and Google, terms very specific to the eBay brand. The traffic couldn't be more targeted.

Come Thursday night, my traffic multiplied. My three week old site and search engine marketing campaign had paid off -- I went from 120 visitors a day, jumping to 600+ visitors a day, with every last drop being high targeted -- so targeted, my CTR is around 40%.

Sunday brought 68 clicks and no leads.
    Saturday, 66 clicks, no leads.
    Friday, 66 clicks, no leads.

Here's the horrible part:

Wednesday brought only 28 accumulated clicks, less than 1/2 than what I received on a single day this past weekend. But, those 28 clicks brought more sales and leads than the ENTIRE weekend put together.

With 200 clicks since Friday, with highly targeted traffic, I've received only 9 sales and 3 leads (which have brought me no loot, as they haven't placed a bid yet).

I'm just frustrated. I've heard great stories about the eBay affiliate program and thought I'd try marketing it. My marketing worked, better than I'd ever thought -- but I'm making pennies a day.

Is this a delay in eBay/CJ reporting or something, or, is this just the nature of the eBay affiliate program?

200 clicks ........ 9 sales and 3 leads
    Sounds pretty damned good to me.

I don't think it's as bad as you make out.

200 clicks is not a huge number on which to base anything. For example, if just one of those leads out of the 3 becomes an active user, your EPC would abe 10.45 instead of the .45 you have now.

Ebay's network wide EPC is about 4.00 so that is about 1 active user per 500 clicks.

ABW Ambassador
    That sounds about right for ebay.

If I could get 9 sales for every 200 clicks to any CJ merchant I'd be richer than the Royal Family.

The eBay stats are slowly updating. Thanks for the comments.

My internet fax website converts about 10% of the individuals who click into a lead and that's with substantial traffic.

With targeted traffic and great usability, it's not very difficult. Just rank for EXACTLY what people are searching for and they'll convert.

"eBay has 66 million registered users in the United States and 135 million worldwide ..."

I suspect that with so many registered members, it's becoming more difficult to find people who aren't already an eBay member. I'm getting about a third the active registrations that I was getting last year with more eBay pages (several thousand) at my site. It's probably one of the reasons why eBay raised the bounty on an active registration from $5 last year to $20 now.

How are you promoting eBay? Are you just promoting eBay itself, or items for sale with Editor Kit lists of items that people can click and bid on? There are two advantages to the former method:

(1) If somebody is already a member, and you have a list of 100 items for them to select from, the chances are they will go down the list and bid on several items during one session, turning your 10 cent commission to a 50 cent to $1.00 commission. Multiply that by a few hundred visitors a day, and it adds up.

(2) If somebody is not a member, the fact that they see an item they want will more likely entice them to join and bid on the item.

Tracy,

Thanks for the post. I'm promoting eBay itself. Search for "ebay motors, ebay, ebay australia, ebay XX," you'll find me there. I'm simply routing people to eBay who are searching for it specifically.

I can tell you that very few of my registrations don't get activated. The fact that you've had three that haven't activated should be a clue. Sure, you're getting the traffic but you're not converting it into active registrations.

I just did a search at Yahoo, Google and MSN for "eBay Motors." The majority of the first 10 listings were directly to eBay sites. I couldn't figure out which site might be yours based on the page one results of those three search engines. I would think that the majority of people specifically looking for eBay, are going to get there directly before they hit your affiliate site.

If you could figure out a way to break-out specific listings at eBay, I think you will see more success. I should have added a (3) to my post above. And that is, that a lot of people will bookmark a page with the Editor Kit listings, and come back and use it again and again.

My step-mother collects a certain type of glass. I put up one page for that glass so she could easily find new listings. She prefers going to antique stores, but somebody else found the page and visits it several times every month and makes bids.

I put up pages for specific products, honing down the listings as specifically as possible. I try to make it so that it is easier for somebody to come to my page rather than go directly to eBay and do the searches themselves. I set the Editor Kit results so that each click opens in a new window. I think that makes it easier for people, than doing the search at eBay, and then having to click the back button (or back to list link) to view the next item.

Oneman,

Be careful, bidding on the trademarked word ebay, is against their policy, and I can guarantee you that they will come down HARD on you soon...........................

Don't say I didn't tell you so.......

holyearth:

I'm not bidding on any trademarked terms. I don't use PPC what-so-ever for this venture.

"I'm simply routing people to eBay who are searching for it specifically."

==========

Ok, I was just trying to save you from the end of the month "money removal" process..............

===========

And btw, since ur not using PPC, they'll clobber you for contextual if you're doing that............

just tellin ya.........

Its hard to figure out the Registrations.. seems like the batch those or something. I will get 4 or 5 within a 2 to 3 day period and then NOTHING for about a month or more, then get 4 or 5 more in a 2 to 3 day span. This trend has been happening the entire year.. very odd.

As for bids, I get about 50-100 a day which does add up. I use the Editor kit and have a small sampling of auctions on a lot of my pages.. it seems to work well.

I've also had trouble figuring out how eBay's data works. For a while, I was getting 2 or 3 daily 10-cent "bids" and "buy-it-nows," but then half or more would be reversed a few days later. Recently I've seen fewer transactions but very few reversals.

New registrations are few and far between, as I assume most visitors to my pages with eBay links (mostly teachers) are likely already eBay users; perhaps I get one of these every 2 to 4 months.

Overall, eBay revenue has been trivial at my site, and my continued participation in their affiliate program is based mostly on the fact that I want to provide a convenient link to eBay anyway, and it does add a dollar or two each month to my CJ account, supplementing the much larger earnings from other merchants who use CJ.

I haven't seen any reversals since ebay announced 'NO MORE REVERSALS' a few months back. that has been a blessing..

16. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread