How insulting!
    This is supposed to intice me to join am merchants program!!
    Want to offer your site's visitors quality dog products without doing all the hard work?
    They really DO think we just slap some banners on some pages and watch the money role in! What friggin' idiot wrote that? They should have a big fat can of whoop a$$ to help them wake up as far as I am concerned.
    Comments are opinion unless otherwise noted. Remember, pillage first. Then burn. Half of all people in the world have IQs under 100. You best learn to trust ol' SSanf!

Affiliate Marketing Consultant Andy Rodriguez's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SSanf
    This is supposed to intice me to join am merchants program!! They really DO think we just slap some banners on some pages and watch the money role in! What friggin' idiot wrote that? They should have a big fat can of whoop a$$ to help them wake up as far as I am concerned.
    Sandra, send them to my AMC Seminar, we will give them a clue...
    Andy Rodriguez Consulting, Affiliate Program Management and Consulting Services, Since 2001
    www.andyrodriguez.com | E: abw@andyrodriguez.com | P: (888) 931-ANDY (2639) | Skype: affiliatedoctor | AIM & MSN: AffiliateDoctor | Subscribe To Our ABW Forum Posts | Follow me on Twitter | Join Our Affiliate Programs

Sandra,

Just as most affiliates out there are clueless, so are most merchants.
    Akiva Bergstrom | akiva@affsolutions.com | 718-871-8286

Affiliate Marketing Solutions by affSolutions - Creator of the Product Showcase Creator™

Managed Programs: EssentialApparel.com (Join) | SportsFanfare.com (Join)

Affiliates: Product Showcase Creator Directory | Merchants: License the Product Showcase Creator™!

While that is a very good and constructive suggestion, Andy, I would really feel so much better just giving them the whoop a$$, especially after the work I put in on my site, today!

Was looking for just the "right" merchant to put in a space in the right side of my pages that will appear in the run of the site and am greeted with that slap in the face.

I was looking because, even though I really had wanted to use Betty Mills, I could not find a reasonable graphic that would fit the spot, look good and actually promoted something, like sheds.
    Comments are opinion unless otherwise noted. Remember, pillage first. Then burn. Half of all people in the world have IQs under 100. You best learn to trust ol' SSanf!

That is rather insulting. Maybe you should reply back "I'd rather work for a living, no thanks." Maybe that's their motto-Sell quality dog products without doing any hard work.
    Greg Rice Affiliate Program Management
    www.gocmc.com info(AT)gocmc.com | 330-259-1223

Join us! - MiNeeds.com | DiscountCandleShop/CheeseSupply | Feng Shui Plaza

ABW Ambassador
    What is also insulting is that some of them out there do nothing more than sign up someplace and give some crappy generic banner of some unusable size and think by some magic kind of mojo we are suddenly going to send them converting traffic with no tools or cooperation.

YES, they need a seminar and a good kick in the cajones to boot.

SSanf,

Let me know what kind of graphic you need, and I will custom make one for you.

You might also find one on our homepage that works for sheds.

Regards,

Victor
    Victor Hanna, The BettyMills Company
    Home of Snack Rewards and the Double Markdown!
    Affiliate Login: http://www.GetBetty.com
    Signup Page: https://getbetty.com/affiliate_signup.aspx
    Home Page BettyMills.com

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    Well, actually that pitch would have gotten my favorable attention. If I wanted to do "hard" work I would have gotten a job digging fencepost holes.

But, to get me to sign up, they'd have to be able to back that claim up, with real tools that help to make things easier--NOT just banners to slap on a page. Otherwise it's just misleading spin--we all know that a banner or link alone isn't going to do it.

Sometimes I think people really don't understand that "it's easy" is NOT the same as "just put a banner up!" It's not THAT darned easy...
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

Actually, since the Google skyscraper ad in the column I wanted to place the ad in is 160 wide, I was looking for something that would add a bit of color and fit nicely just above or below the Google ads in that column of my pages. Google ad sizes are a good reference for sizes since most sites have them, now. Things that will fit nicely along with them are often useful. This is a mall site and I thought with the broad variety of Betty Mills items, it would go well with almost any category. Actually, what I would really like is an ad that I can stick on the page and that you would update as the seasons change. For instance, You could give me an ad for sheds, now, that you would change to something else for fall. It could be named a graphic named "seasonal ad.jpg". I would place it on my site and leave it alone. You would just change the graphic on your end when appropriate. That way, my site and everyone else's, would always have an up to date ad showing. Of course, you would need to make assorted sizes available so different sites could use them and whatever page the ad links to would need to redirect to the page with whatever is being advertised at the time. Anyhow, if I were a merchant, I would offer that because people are sure to select something that they can be sure will be up to date in spots where they need filler. This, of course, would not be to replace the normal presentation of Betty Mills products. It is an additional item. I think you have something close to that but not exactly the same. And, the sizes are very limited if I remember right.

Maybe they offer a Javascript that auto updates it self and thats what they mean. I doubt they meant it as an insult. Some people are to touchy sometimes.

I am pretty sure the merchant I first quoted meant that all we have to do is slap up a banner and make money while they do all the real work. It wasn't Betty Mills.

Talking
    Quote Originally Posted by Akiva
    Sandra,

Just as most affiliates out there are clueless, so are most merchants.
    And a lot of the merchant's affiliate managers.

Vietnam Veteran 1966-1970 USASA
    ABW Forum Rules - Advertise At ABW

A Real *and* Darn Cool Member! lstolze's Avatar
    I don't know...doesn't seem insulting to me. My husband gets up at 6 am, grabs breakfast, showers, gets dressed. Spends 10 minutes with his son, runs out the door, drives 20 minutes to the train. Takes the train into NYC. He gets to work around 8:50, works through lunch, reverses the trip home, and gets home around 7, spends 10 minutes with the baby, who is cranky and ready for bed. Then we have to be in bed by 10 so he can do it all over again. A couple nights a week he has to do more work from home and he is on 24/7 call.

I don't know - if you ask me, anyone here doing affiliate work does have it easy in comparison. You just need to put things in perspective.
    ~Lisa - Brilliant Mastermind, or Nut? You decide!

I don't think there's anything easy about being an affiliate. I'm sure your husband does alright. To make a good living as an affiliate - you have to put the time in. It's just a little nicer than going to a 9-5

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    It's just a little nicer than going to a 9-5
    It's *infinitely* nicer than ANY j*b I've had, and easier than the vast majority of them, too!
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

I don't know - if you ask me, anyone here doing affiliate work does have it easy in comparison.
    That really depends on the affiliate, but at least we choose our own hours, even if they are loooong...
    Eathan Mertz

Black Cat Mining - Gold Prospecting & Rockhounding Equipment

A Real *and* Darn Cool Member! lstolze's Avatar
    True, Eathan! Don't get me wrong, I know being a successful affiliate can be hard work - but let's face it - most of us got into it because it's easier on us than corporate grind (pick any aspect, easier just because you can wear pjs all day if you like, for example). But to me, any job I can do while being with my little boy, watching him grow and learn, is cake compared to what my husband and many others have to go through. Many people miss their child's firsts because of 'normal' jobs.

Anyway, no affiliate manager is going to say, "Promote us! It's really hard work!" I just don't think it's worth getting upset over some little comment like this. Just my take on things...
    ~Lisa - Brilliant Mastermind, or Nut? You decide!

18. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread