Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    More Cheesier Than Ever Cheesehead's Avatar
    Battle of the Search Engines - UNCHANGED
    Go to http://searchenginewatch.com/reports...le.php/2156451

Same stats - no significant changes since January.
    This World is Not My Home
    We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. . . And then we're gonna go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goalline! Quotes from the movie Rudy, 1993

ABW Ambassador
    I always find it funny when the people from MSN think they have a chance at Google.

Google 48%
    Yahoo 21.2%
    MSN 12.4%

Google 48%
    Yahoo and MSN combined 33.6%

Still kicking their butt.

Didn't Altavista drive about 48% of search traffic about 4 or 5 years ago?

Didn't Lycos snarf about 10% of the pie as well?

Things change over the course of time. There is no reason to assume that Google would be immune to the forces of nature. Google is no God, Google is no mountain.

ABW Ambassador
    It all depends on any particular site's rankings, anyway. If Google hates a site and MSN loves it, then that's where the $ will flow in from.

Quote Originally Posted by TrustNo1
    I always find it funny when the people from MSN think they have a chance at Google.
    Actually, I think you'll retract that statement in a year or two, because MSN's new algo is pretty sweet. They've brought together some really innovative ideas, as well as an army of some of the top algo pro's of the programming world. You can expect great things from them very soon. But you didn't hear it from me..

ABW Ambassador
    Google is not Atlavista. Google is part of the culture now. Most people who use Google have no reason to use another SE. Fact is people are happy with the results. Tell them about MSN and their algo pros and they'll say "What's an algo" Google is Coke. 2 years from now they'll be where they were 2 years ago, still on top. I'll bump this thread 2 years from now

The Thin White Duke PreacherMan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NavySeals
    Actually, I think you'll retract that statement in a year or two, because MSN's new algo is pretty sweet. They've brought together some really innovative ideas, as well as an army of some of the top algo pro's of the programming world. You can expect great things from them very soon. But you didn't hear it from me..
    Agreed. MSN Search is using a learning algorithm now (some sort of neural net) called RankNet and it results are becoming more relevant as time goes by. Don't write off MSN Search yet but they really need to ramp up the marketing and come up with a catchy name for the search engine.
    Keep on learning, keep on earning. :fan:

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by TrustNo1
    Google is not Atlavista. Google is part of the culture now. Most people who use Google have no reason to use another SE. Fact is people are happy with the results. Tell them about MSN and their algo pros and they'll say "What's an algo" Google is Coke. 2 years from now they'll be where they were 2 years ago, still on top. I'll bump this thread 2 years from now
    Infoseek was the coke a long long time ago. An SE needs to be functional first above all.

ABW Ambassador
    How's Google not functional? Infoseek was never Coke.

I just typed this into Google
    what percentage are happy with google

came upon
    http://www.webmasterworld.com/forum86/403.htm

People are happy with the big 3. There's no market for anybody else. Now for the big 3, why would somebody who is happy with Google start using MSN. They won't.

and somebody is pretty much saying what i've been saying for a long time:

"Google is ingrained in everyones head. Google has a critacal mass. Getting rid of Google would be like trying to get rid of Coke or Pepsi. They were first to get in peoples minds and they will stay there. "

Google is not Infoseek, Altavista or whatever old failed SE you can come up with.

ABW Ambassador
    as long as google sticks to its classic formula, it will not be overtaken. it has to do with human psychology, behaviour and physics.

google did provide yahoo with search results before (prior to overtaking it), but so did altavista et al. while altavista went down, google went up. this is a testament to google's formula.

I totally agree!

There was a time when Overture was king SE but no one even mentions them any more.
    Comments are opinion unless otherwise noted. Remember, pillage first. Then burn. Half of all people in the world have IQs under 100. You best learn to trust ol' SSanf!

google is truly the king of SE's. But then again ..they Have to be since they are'nt diversified like MSN or Yahoo. It will be interesting to se how they react if and when they hit their first major bump in the road.

ABW Ambassador
    the worst blunder they can make is when they begin to look to yahoo or msn for expansion (and they're already doing that). in which case they will become only one of the boys and this will become anybody's game.

unlike other companies who's success greatly depends on another company, google's success depends only on its own actions. as long as they continue their current formula, and expand within that framework, they will be fine ... and they will be great like microsoft.

Marketing Mistress Lectrickitty's Avatar
    My old fav SE was goto.com. I started using google when goto changed their name (didn't they change it to overture?) I was never good at remembering their new name so I ended up using one that was easy to remember even though the search results were not as good.

Google only became popular because they paid affiliates to get them there

ABW Ambassador
    no, google became popular because ...

If anyone here knows why google is so popular...... wouldn't they use the same idea/strategy and make themselves equally as popular in their own field?

I don't think we know why google is so popular.

Affiliate Manager AffiliateBuddha's Avatar
    Actually, Google became popular because.........
    Gift Shopping Zone Affiliate Program on SAS - 10% per sale with unlimited cookie duration, over 10,000 products.

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    imo...

simplicity and clarity is the answer.

we're all short on time and overwhelmed by distractions - we want an answer and we want it fast and want it directly shown without clutter. take a look at google vs msn vs yahoo home page. forget you know them all for a second - one screams "i'm a text box where you search" - the others scream too many things all at once.

if they were car dealers, google has cars on their lot. msn and yahoo also have bicycles, cherry pies, books on communism, giant lollipops, babysitting services, bandaids and several rube goldberg machines sitting on their lots. If you needed a car, which would you choose?

google's undoing could be trying to be too many things at once. but i think they know it and fight it well. for instance, picasa (now picasa2) is a REALLY great tool for the masses to use for their digital photographs on their PC - where on the google.com home page do you see them cluttering the page with "PICASA is for you!"

Where is their gmail banner ad on their home page?

where is their signup for a freaking annoying newsletter box?

where does google.com home page talk about who they are - they don't need to describe their services or define themselves - their concentration on clarity makes it self-evident

G is keenly aware that humans favor simplicity and clarity in most things - I don't mean dumbed down - I mean CLARITY and FOCUS.

G is a search engine in our heads. MSN and Yahoo are portal-like search engines. In reality, G and M and Y all have very similar services.

We affs know a lot about sites - put google.com and msn.com in side-by-side browser windows and sit down with a friend - ask them what each page is for. You'll see the clarity shining through.

compare the home pages for each - banner ads all over msn and yahoo - google trades the financial gain these represent -for- their leadership position AS A SEARCH ENGINE. A damn fine trade in my mind. A damn fine trade.

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    I went to each of their home pages.
    Copied the whole page.
    Pasted into notepad (to grab text characters only).
    Move those characters to MS Word.
    Used tools in Word to count characters (not counting spaces).

Results:

Text characters on home page:
    Google.com = 165
    MSN.com = 3,044
    Yahoo.com = 2,686

Now that's clarity.

Very simple..

Google became so popular because they didn't use annoying ads to pay for everything. Instead, they leased out their search technology to the big boys of the time. Less ads, more people will like you.

lurk
    One thing people aren't taking into account... don't forget that all PCs run on Windows, unless you are a linux person (which isn't very significant compared to the masses who use windows).

With Windows Longhorn coming out, there will be a search on the DESKTOP that will go directly to the MSN search page... yes, bastards, I know.

For standard users, that will be much easier to use than to have to pop open IE type it there. (I won't use it, Googles been too good to me, but others will) This may have some effect on the traffic each SE recieves.

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Smile
    Quote Originally Posted by Rogi
    If anyone here knows why google is so popular...... wouldn't they use the same idea/strategy and make themselves equally as popular in their own field?

I don't think we know why google is so popular.
    Hint: Open up www.google.com then open up Yahoo -MSN -AOL and see immediately why folks love Google... NO friggin Ads anywhere to be seen. It's like a breath of fresh air
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

Yeah and the page loads real fast too, Mikey.

Althoug I usually us google, I don't always find what I am looking for there, sometimes I use ask or avatarsearch, I didn't see them even mentioned here though. Are they obsolete?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast