SEO and Keyword question/comments
    I came across a page within a site today that had listed about 100 or so keywords.... just listed down the page. There was a small paragraph about the subject and then listed were their keywords.

My question is, does the SE's pick this up as garbage and penalize you? Or is there some sort of valid reason to do this. I know it looks obvious that you are trying to get a good ranking, and its not necessarly good for your audience (unless you can packaged it up for them/give them a reason for the list).

I dont want to list the site, because the site owner may or may not be a member here -- I dont want any ill feelings towards them. I am just curious if this works or if SE's see through this.

Example of what I mean:

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit. Morbi libero mauris, faucibus vel, dignissim viverra, molestie quis, metus. Sed ipsum. Phasellus consequat. Aliquam erat volutpat. Aenean eget nibh....

Widget A
    Widget B
    Green Widget A
    Green Widget B
    Slightly different Widget A

Talking
    actually, those aren't keywords, just fill. the page must really really be under construction, to the point where the author is still doing some planning.

[I'm assuming the following is not an affiliate link in any way]

Hey, make your own! This looks like a generator for it.

http://www.lipsum.com/feed/html

The example is just something I made up... the lorem ipsum is filler I put in to show a marketing paragraph of some sort.

The site is done from what I can tell. Theres several pages to the site, then one with keywords listed down the page.

Kend

Quote Originally Posted by Kend
    The example is just something I made up... the lorem ipsum is filler I put in to show a marketing paragraph of some sort.

The site is done from what I can tell. Theres several pages to the site, then one with keywords listed down the page.

Kend
    well, if the text isn't hidden they can't (probably) be penalized for it in the SE's

wondering now if they are that new at this they followed some advice about SEO to the letter?

lurk
    Putting 100 keywords on your website may get you an extra click-through here and there, but that's about it. Google knows when sites are loading their pages with keywords, the thing is, it doesn't matter.

If you type in "Personal trainer certification" you arent going to end up going to some website that has every variation of a keyword that relates to fitness... you will find sites that focus on that ONE keyword. Google looks at the density of the keyword, if its only on the page once embedded in 1000 other keywords, chances are you will not get a high ranking.

Try to be as SPECIFIC as possible when chosing your keywords, make them as relative to your website as possible. (I.E. if you sell baby stools, use the overture keyword tool inventory.overture.com and find the best keywords that people use to find baby stools and focus on two or three of the top keywords.) If you start stuffing your page with keywords like "baby clothing, baby shoes, baby..." the only clicks you will ever get from those keywords are clicks that aren't relative to your site (unless its a baby outlet or mall type site). That will also decrease the density of the keyword you really care about (baby stools).

Just to put it into perspective... people have been keyword stuffing their pages since I started with websites (over 4 years ago) so obviously search engines can flag these sites.

ABW Ambassador
    There are a lot of scraper sites out there that have a page for every keyword possible on a topic, with them all in the navigation throughout. Whatever text there is, is just filler and they don't care, the point is to get AdSense clicks - or PPC clickthroughs, whichever the flavor of the day.

IMHO it's definitely not the way to go for real sites looking for real conversions, where the pages should be specifically targeted and focused to get genuine targeted traffic and give them some value for their click. Mike's "value" philosophy actually answers a lot of these questions where *real* sites are concerned that want staying power in the engines.

Junk may work for a season, but it's short term.

Quote Originally Posted by webworker
    IMHO it's definitely not the way to go for real sites looking for real conversions, where the pages should be specifically targeted and focused to get genuine targeted traffic and give them some value for their click. Mike's "value" philosophy actually answers a lot of these questions where *real* sites are concerned that want staying power in the engines.

Junk may work for a season, but it's short term.
    I agree with you. It looks terrible on the page and I couldnt in good conscience put that on there. I just dont understand why someone would do it.... I guess stranger things can happen....

8. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread