Do NOT Post Affiliate URLS - it is a violation of our policies!
    How do affiliates find out about new programs if you can't post a link? I'm confused

Scott,

Merchants have a special area here where they can post about their new programs. However, it is a paid area so we don't get spammers here (I beleive). Plus, the administrator has to pay for all this and he would be giving advertising space away if he let merchants post thier URL's here freely.

There are other reasons for affiliates not to post affiliate URL's. I know one is that some affiliates inadvertantly post other affiliates URL's that they would rather keep private.

Anyone else have info to add to mine.
    Ron Bechdolt | Affiliate Program Management Consultant
    7 Days A Week Marketing

Defender of Truth, Justice and the Affiliate Way
    You can't post URL's to web sites owned by other affiliates.

For new program announcements try here: http://forum.abestweb.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4

>>>I know one is that some affiliates inadvertantly post other affiliates URL's that they would rather keep private. <<<

we've had too many copycats here over the years; better to keep our domains to ourselves in the forum.

Thanks for the info guys, most of it makes sense. however...

Quote Originally Posted by 7-days
    Plus, the administrator has to pay for all this and he would be giving advertising space away if he let merchants post thier URL's here freely.
    This comment is completely erroneous. There are many, many examples of forums that make mucho dinero through ad space WHILE their users are free to post urls. abestweb is actually one of the only ones that does it the opposite way. You find when program owners can post urls, it will bring more program managers into the mix, they'd post more, see the value in advertising (because it just bolsters any efforts they've made) and anty up.

Really, not posting your url is like going to a networking convention and not being able to say your company name.

not to make waves of course ... just thought I'd get my thoughts on the table.

Oh really. You hink it is smart to post our URLs where all the competitors can know where our sites are and copy them. Oh, very darned well, you just go ahead and post your own all you want but better not post mine!
    Comments are opinion unless otherwise noted. Remember, pillage first. Then burn. Half of all people in the world have IQs under 100. You best learn to trust ol' SSanf!

Making $$ has NOTHING to do with the policy.

Allowing affiliates to protect their URLs if they so desire has everything to do with it. It's affiliate URLs not Merchant URLs. Affiliates don't typically buy ad space here, least I've never seen that happen.

Merchant's can post their own URLs (not an affiliate URL) but they aren't allowed to spam the board with their URLs. Spam postings will be deleted.

Wow, can I add that to my clickbank sales page? Got any master reseller rights to that also?
    Now that was just funny.

Now, Now
    Haiko, remain humble. you use to post your abw links in the old cj forum before they closed. at that point your abw really took off! and, you have done a remarkable job. we all try to ride on others coat tails once in awhile.

on the other hand, without some boundaries in place it can really get out of hand. Haiko has done a good job, imo, of being extremely flexible at times, without trying to be too controling. when you have a forum of this size you have to keep an eye out 24/7. Good mods are a real help, too.

LJ, you are right.

ABW has a much higher purpose than outing gratuitous spammer types.

Thank you.
    Continued Success,

Haiko
    The secret of success is constancy of purpose ~ Disraeli

Okay, just to clarify, I did realize he asked about affiliate URL's but I responded about the merhants as he asked how else could he learn about new programs.
    Ron Bechdolt | Affiliate Program Management Consultant
    7 Days A Week Marketing

The reason I brought all of this up is that I run an affiliate program and was surprised to learn that i couldn't post a url (if someone was asking about a new affiliate program for instance). I by no means want to spam the board but would like to mention my program here and there if I see an opportunity and a tactful way of doing it. So for my clarification , this is ok?

Scott,

If I didn't approve a paid ad, why in the world should I let you post freely?
    Continued Success,

Haiko
    The secret of success is constancy of purpose ~ Disraeli

Well since I don't have enough posts to pm you, I'll just post my questions and comments here . However I don't want you to take this discussion as an argument, I'm just looking for clarification. It sounded by the end of this thread like it would be ok for a merchant to post their url, I may have read it wrong. In response to your question, the reasons why you would let merchants post their urls without first paying for advertising are:

a) The forum's success is primarily based on it's traffic, letting merchants post their urls, would get you more traffic. There are many small merchants out there who can't financially spring for ad space, but would gladly conribute to your board for the opportunity to win a few affiliates here and there.

b) This would also work with larger affiliate programs. To use an analogy, I live in Oregon. Oregon isn't very friendly to big business tax wise. Other states are, therefore when companies look to relocate, they skip oregon. This obviously hurts the state's bottomline. Same idea could be applied here.

c) It promotes an open, business oriented environment. More than HALF of being an affiliate is picking a good, upstanding, well converting program to promote. If it's not allowed to be freely talked about, you're cutting your forum members down at the knees and compromises the functionality of your board.

ABW Ambassador
    >>The forum's success is primarily based on it's traffic

Exactly, traffic that comes from honest, trustworthy value.

>>letting merchants post their urls, would get you more traffic.

No, it would get more obnoxious, self-promoting spam that a lot of us don't care to read.

>>There are many small merchants out there who can't financially spring for ad space, but would gladly conribute to your board for the opportunity to win a few affiliates here and there.

Fifty bucks to announce a new program dude, or did I read it wrong? If a merchant doesn't have fifty bucks, are they solvent enough for me or anyone else to depend on to pay our commission? Or will they have to use the $ to keep their lights and phone turned on?

Well since I don't have enough posts to pm you, I'll just post my questions and comments here . However I don't want you to take this discussion as an argument, I'm just looking for clarification. It sounded by the end of this thread like it would be ok for a merchant to post their url, I may have read it wrong. In response to your question, the reasons why you would let merchants post their urls without first paying for advertising are:
    http://forum.abestweb.com/showpost.p...03&postcount=1

>>>Exactly, traffic that comes from honest, trustworthy value.

You're making a connection between sponsors who might want to drop their name once in a while to network and untrustworthiness / lack of value. This is a blindly sweeping, overly generalized statement that can't even come close to being supported.

>>>No, it would get more obnoxious, self-promoting spam that a lot of us don't care to read.

There's a happy medium in there that I think is attainable. forum members can spot spam pretty easily and can call it out. There's a big difference between networking and spam.

>>>Fifty bucks to announce a new program dude

Is it? The above threads made it sound like I had to advertise to be able to post my url. Where's it say this?

That was a long time ago, I think i was announcing our program and yes, linking to our sites . I assume your point is that I was spamming. Well it would seem that way just looking at one post, but how else would i announce a program. Say something bad about it?

I think this thread should be closed Haiko it has outserved any usefulness to regular ABW members if there was any to start with.
    One day parasites and their ilk will be made illegal, I bet a few Lawyers will be pissed off when the day comes.
    Mr. Spitzer is fetching it nearer

YouTrek

Agreed Gordon as it would appear from Haiko's post he didn't approve a paid advertisement at some point in the past anyway. I think the board is thriving just fine.

Just to slip in another comment here:

The popularity of ABW is due in a large part to the community and quality of posts. Allowing thousands of merchants to freely plug their sites would reduce the quality and wouldn't add anything to the community.

Have you ever been to a free-for-all links page? It's totally useless spam. That's what ABW would be if Haiko did what you're proposing. No thanks.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

22. Newsletter Signup

Closed Thread