Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    ABW Ambassador
    We're all geeks on some level, what do you do that's "geeky"?
    I have tons of yeast at my disposal. It's a byproduct of homebrewing. TIME TO EXPERIMENT!!! I feel like Dexter in his lab at times.

I currently have a bread starter going in the fridge made from a london-based strain of yeast (gives a butterscotch flavor!) and 5 gallons of cider chugging away on some california ale yeast. The cider looks like OJ right now because of all the yeast suspended in it.

I'm going to use the starter to get some pizza dough going this weekend. I have a loaf of regular bread rising on my counter right now.

I smoke salmon..

Probably one of the most difficult hobbies.
    1. They are really hard to roll in the paper
    2. They are almost impossible to light

The after taste is less than desirable but it gives you a good buzz.....

Troll Killer and best Snooper!
    I decide when the pigs fly!
    I'm only half geek. The other half is nerd.

Once a week I volunteer at a local nature center where I clean snake cages. That geeky enough for ya?

More Cheesier Than Ever Cheesehead's Avatar
    48 or more cubic feet of fresh compost, always at my disposal. My total capacity is about 100 cubic feet so I have plenty of room for whatever can be offered here (;
    This World is Not My Home
    We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. . . And then we're gonna go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goalline! Quotes from the movie Rudy, 1993

Where to start! lol haven't done it in awhile since my kids came into being, since it deals with toxic chemicals(battery acid). Electroforming bath with dc current my own hacked powersupply reostats ampmeters etc....its quite an electrifying hobby/craft.....mwahahaha....

My kids were built not born...mwahahaha
    Suz~~GearGirl~~

More Cheesier Than Ever Cheesehead's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by suzigeek
    My kids were built not born...mwahahaha
    Wow, you build your own kids! That's geeky, but also way cool!
    Last edited by Cheesehead; June 30th, 2005 at 12:49 PM.
    This World is Not My Home
    We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. . . And then we're gonna go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goalline! Quotes from the movie Rudy, 1993

Let's see.

I have a 42u server rack in my basement, I wired my whole house with cat5 (even though I have wireless also), run the phone lines on cat5, have a telephone punchdown block installed in the house server wall.

I read books about the history of computers. I love to talk about math. I get excited to take apart and fix anything. If I can hack something together it is always better than buying it new (though my wife disagrees).

You think you're geeky...

1) I have five full sized arcade games (Galaga, Ms. Pacman, Donkey Kong, Centipede, Track & Field) and one cocktail table arcade game (Moon Cresta). These were in my Living Room and Dining Room before I got married.

2) I saw The Phantom Menace, Attack of the Clones, and Revenge of the Sith at 12:01am on opening day.

3) I know pi to 25 digits.

4) One of the books I'm currently reading is "Six Easy Pieces and Six Not So Easy Pieces", a physics book by Richard Feynman.

5) I have five large bookshelves full of books, plus many boxes and piles of books that won't fit on the bookshelves. I read books about computers, math, physics, and history for fun.

6) I use "vi" and usually program Apache Modules in perl to build my sites.

7) My 3-person team in college took first place regionally and was in the top 20 internationally in the 1993 ACM Programming Contest, using a language and platform that was new to all of us at the time.

8) I met my wife online.

9) I have at least a dozen email addresses.

10) I have a binary clock (0001 = 1, 0010 = 2, ... 1100 = 12).

I'm sure I could come up with dozens more.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

I know just about every ridiculous IT and Marketing acronym out there.

When I use them, I end up annoying myself as well as any associates or friends who don't have a clue, since I give them the "What, you don't know this?" face.
    Danay @ LunaSolMedia.com
    Global Perfomance Marketing. Global Niche Markets = Opportunity!
    HispanicYa!|MallFreebies

I dwell in possibility. ~Emily Dickinson

WOW am I glad I'm perfect.
    One day parasites and their ilk will be made illegal, I bet a few Lawyers will be pissed off when the day comes.
    Mr. Spitzer is fetching it nearer

YouTrek

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    @ Gordon - Perfect? That's an interesting delusion...

1) I have five full sized arcade games (Galaga, Ms. Pacman, Donkey Kong, Centipede, Track & Field) and one cocktail table arcade game (Moon Cresta). These were in my Living Room and Dining Room before I got married.~Michael Coley
    Ooohh *jealous* If you ever want to sell them, look no further than a PM to me! (You can keep the Donkey Kong though.)

I can't outgeek some of that other stuff. But I've read history and biology books for fun. When I did it in school, I ended up in an argument about whether it counted as "studying" to read the entire biology book. They said it was. I said it wasn't, because I was "just reading it like any book." I've also read the dictionary for fun.

I'm prone to track down the facts behind things that come up on games and follow up on historical premeses. Probably not too many people would bother to find out what OgreBattle's Tiamat character is based on (She's part of the Babylonian creation story...and not at all like the game's depiction). And I bothered to find out what happened after Nobunaga united Japan (it re-fragmented, as I suspected). My mind is also filled with useless and semi-useless old maps thanks to history-based games.

Also I like to mess with the config files for games. Actually leaving one alone or playing it "vanilla" is like only playing 1/4 of it. SE algo stuff is an outbranching of this same mental circuit, only with a cash reward.

I'm also handy at fixing things, although I wouldn't necessarily call that "fun." But I've done more than my share of mechanical stuff. If I do get stuck hiring some repair done, and I HATE to hire most of them done, I watch the guy closely so I can do it myself the next time. On the other hand, I hate to do standard maintenance, so I'm not so obsessed that I'd avoid foisting off stuff like oil changes onto the nearest competent garage. That's a reasonably-priced job, yucky, and hard to mess up job, so someone else can get oil all over them.

But for things like furnaces and stoves, it costs about $75 just for a guy to look at it (without fixing anything), and they're often not so great at doing the repairs either. If I think I can do something better or even equal to the "pro" myself, I'm generally going to do it, even while cussing the task out at the same time.
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

Geek? No way...
    I am cool all the way around. I don't know half the crap most of you all know, and I am strictly in it for the money. How I do it I'll never know. I make all my pages in basic html, don't understand the stuff you read at W3.org, and don't care. click here, I mean "this".

I am kind of the Arthur Fonzerelli (Fonzi, or the Fonze) of the web. Too cool to admit any adherence to geekyness or geek protocol, or geek status quo. I have absolutely a total disrespect for netiquette, and love getting booted from searchengineforums, and webmasterworld. Oh yeah, need to add the dmoz forum to that list now

But, I have always loved AbestWeb Forums. There is more of a realness to this forum, and community. Hey, we all love to make money!
    Last edited by Lurker Jones; July 1st, 2005 at 02:01 AM. Reason: additional note

1) I have five full sized arcade games (Galaga, Ms. Pacman, Donkey Kong, Centipede, Track & Field) and one cocktail table arcade game (Moon Cresta). These were in my Living Room and Dining Room before I got married.
    Me way jealous. I grew up missing highschool and playing all those games. They are so hardwired into me that when the rare opportunity arises that me and my hubby can go out in the evening and we run across any of the oldies I usually get the highscore and go through all the screens they can throw at me. I lived those machines during my formative years....
    Last edited by suzigeek; July 1st, 2005 at 10:06 AM. Reason: speeling
    Suz~~GearGirl~~

If you're interested in getting full size arcade games, probably one of the best places to find them would be eBay: Vintage Games or Arcade Games

They're heavy and expensive to ship, so I would recommend only looking in your local area. They typically run about $200-$500 (depending on the popularity, rarity, and condition) from collectors or auctions, $500-$1000 from distributors, or $2000-$5000 for new ones. With 20 year old monitors, electronics, controls, and power supplies, they often need some work.

If you're limited on space, I would recommend getting a JAMMA or MAME cabinet. They're more expensive, but you can play multiple games on them.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Affiliate/AM Moonlighter dflsports's Avatar
    Next affiliate convention at Mr. Coley's house, I call first game on galaga

I'm not too geeky. I get into a little home automation, had my new house totally wired for it, Now if I could afford the next step. I do have a neat set up with my pc connected to a hauppauge media center, instant Tivo, mp3, picture server and it runs through my whole house audio system. Ok, I'm getting geekier by the minute

I love geeking out. I have half a MAME cabinet built sitting in the garage. A home brewed DVR with 2 hauppage capture cards and 2 systems that it restreams the feeds to.

But the MAME cabinet. That is what I dream of ... She'll come to life once I finish remodelling the basement.

Domain Addict / Formerly known as elbowcreek Thomas A. Rice's Avatar
    Not too many Geeky things around my house, though I have yet to let on to my children - now 13 and 11 - that I have a huge comic book collection 'in storage' for safe keeping right under their noses. I collect domain names that sound interesting but have relatively little use, like FriedLogic.com, is that geeky?

p.s. - I have a friend out of Bloomington, Indiana that used to have arcade auctions up in Indianapolis. He may still be doing that. Periodically he would sell off a few hundred of them. If there is anyone in this region interested, I would be happy to see if he is still in the business.

Several years ago, he used to store his surplus inventory of arcade games over at my house, which was nifty cool!
    Following everyone else is a GREAT way to become average.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelColey
    4) One of the books I'm currently reading is "Six Easy Pieces and Six Not So Easy Pieces", a physics book by Richard Feynman.
    Now you're making me wonder where my copies of those are! Been a few years since I read them.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelColey
    5) I have five large bookshelves full of books, plus many boxes and piles of books that won't fit on the bookshelves. I read books about computers, math, physics, and history for fun.
    My mother in-law is always trying to get my husband and I to cut our book collection down since there's "no way we could ever read them all" or at least not within a reasonable period. Yes, but if I want it, it's there! We just did some apartment shopping because the landlord at our current place is moving back in, and our main problem with most places was the lack of wall space for bookshelves. Thank goodness we found a house within our price range - lots of room!

Every fall in Bloomington, the Red Cross has a huge book sale. In the range of 30,000-50,000 books. Just monstrous. I spend so much money there, it's just not even funny. I buy grocery sacks full of books, and then read for most of a year.....

ABW Ambassador
    I keep a store of comic books, DC and Marvel to read, hidden away from my kids, though they discovered a few stray pile around my home.
    My favourite movie is Matrix. I had to watch the Star Wars movies over and over again. I'm totally crazy about science fiction and Lord of the Rings types of fantasies. Tracked down the other books by Tolkein and his contemporaries and read them too.. Used to read while walking along the streets until I was almost run down by a car. Prefer to deal with computers than humans..

I taught my kid to build a website once he turned 6.

Say, are there any affiliate programs open to 6 year old kids? There seems to be a clause where the affiliate must be at least 18 years old.

http and a telephoto
    Billy Kay says I am not a geek...

However, I photographed (digital) the Mrs NY America pageant preliminary competition tonight and got into a discussion with the print photographer there that made my daughter throw up her hands and walk away muttering... can't listen to them discussing photo geeky stuff....... I don't get to discuss photography with other photo heads much.... only with the "I have a cool camera so I am a photog" types. Finding another real photog is a challenge

I don't read much anymore unless it is online, so don't read "geek", just plain do "geek". But I am not a geek, I'm a grandma (albeit a HOT gramndma).... lolololol.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

Quote Originally Posted by stephfoster
    My mother in-law is always trying to get my husband and I to cut our book collection down since there's "no way we could ever read them all" or at least not within a reasonable period.
    That's certainly the challenge. I've probably read a little more than half of my books. Many of the others are reference books (a shelf full of O'Reilly "animal" books, etc.) that I don't necessarily read from cover to cover. I probably read 20-50 per year from cover to cover, but I typically buy 50+ per year.

Quote Originally Posted by loxly
    Billy Kay says I am not a geek...
    I wouldn't believe anything Billy Kay says. You're one of us!

Oh, I thought of another geeky thing. I told a calculus joke to a room of about 30 people and nobody got it. When I heard it, I thought it was hilarious! I may have to post it on the Daily Chuckle forum.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com

Okay, if you know, understand, and repeat a calculus joke, you are probably a geek!

There's no doubt about that...

Here's the joke:

http://forum.abestweb.com/showthread.php?p=453126
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com

Now that's funny!

I don't know enough calculus to "understand" it, but I know enough human nature to understand the funny part.
    Affiliate Marketing - The hardest easy money I ever made.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast