410's, 404's, and supplementary results
    I did a site:mydomain.com search and was surprised to see pages still on google that have been deleted for over a year.

Now this was all new to me, and I'm sure it will come as a surprise to others (but not all of you I realize), so please bear with me.

It turns out that simply taking a page offline is not enough for google, you must make sure you return a 410 error page for each page you delete. A standard 404 will keep google coming back forever, all the time cacheing the last known version of the page - however old it is. This causes googlebot to think that your site is an absolute mess! And must logically work against you in the serps at some level.

This is relevant esp. for those who used datafeeds in the past then decided to 'clean up' up those cookie cutter pages to try and impress the SE's. The truth is, unless you returned 410's for all those datafeed pages - they are still in Google.

If you haven't done so already, do a site: search, then include any old results in your .htaccess file with directions to consider them 410's.

ABW Ambassador

Hi, ToughTurkey,

Would you mind giving us newbies a simple example of how to put these pages into the .htaccess file with directions to consider them 410's?

Thanks!

Best,
    RadarCat

It seems there are a few different ways to do it. The simplest way is to create a text file named .htaccess and put the following in it:
    redirect 410 /deletedfile1.html
    redirect 410 /deletedfile2.html
    redirect 410 /deletedfile3.html
    etc, then upload it to your server. Now this way of doing it has it's drawbacks, and is not ideal if you are talking about 1000's of pages. If you were forward thinking enough to put your pages in different directories, and not in the root directory, you can return a 410 for the entire deleted directory. It would look like this
    RewriteRule ^/yourdirectory/ - [G]
    In this example, the G stands for "Gone". Seems nice and simple.

But I am sure there are members better qualified than me that can reply to this thread with even better ways.

ABW Ambassador

Thank you for the code, ToughTurkey!!

Best,
    RadarCat

Thanks ToughTurkey! I didn't know about this either. I've been seeing a lot of 404s in my logs and was wondering how long it would take the SEs to remove my dead pages.

Thanks again!
    Travelin' Man

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will lead you there." -- unknown

A good thing would be to work with sub directories wherever you can. A single redirect for the whole sub directory is much easier to accomplish than having to do it for each deleted file (especially if you are talking dynamic pages).

Christoph

7. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread