What am I doing Wrong?
    So I started an site and signed up with an affiliate network as a merchant.

I sell a product that is quite popular on the internet.

I offer a pretty generous graded commission structure starting at 17.5% and going up to 30% (average sale price of around $30-40 - sometimes much less sometimes much more)

I offer 2-tiers so people can refer other affiliates and get a residual income happening.

Plenty of banners and text ads so affiliates can advertise me.

So I prepared all of this and finally launched, but I have only had a trickle of affiliates apply to my program and sales from my new affiliate group have been ok, but nothing to write home about.

I am really trying to look after my affiliates and would change whatever needs to be changed, but what can I do to get more quality affiliates?

Any and all advice appreciated.

A Real *and* Darn Cool Member! lstolze's Avatar
    nm

Last edited by lstolze; June 30th, 2005 at 08:09 AM.
    ~Lisa - Brilliant Mastermind, or Nut? You decide!

I didn't think I was alowed to reveal that info in here?! I am very paranoid about being accused of spamming.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    You'd have to be careful, or else it would be considered board spam or an attempt to mooch a free announcement ad. With the great-sounding info in your first post, and the fact that it was your first post here, it would indeed seem like an "announcement" more than a help request to me.

I think what Istolze was getting at, is to pay for an official announcement, then you could get some exposure...and specific feedback.

As for advice, here's some general things to be careful of:

Site design--Does it inspire confidence?
    Terms and Conditions--too onerous?
    Cookie duration--is it good enough (how are your competitors)?
    Commission sounds high, but are your competitors paying more?
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

A Real *and* Darn Cool Member! lstolze's Avatar
    No, sorry. You were absolutely right in being discrete. I'm afraid sometimes my heart is bigger than my brain. I just read your thread and really wanted to help, but couldn't based on the info you gave. Of course there are much more qualified people here to help you. I'm afraid I just acted before I thought.

I do really think that speaking with Haiko about pitching your program on here would be a good start to 'get the word out', but of course I don't know what your budget constraints are, etc. Of course another thing would be to offer a sign up bonus to affiliates, but I would imagine that does not always bring 'quality' affiliates. But I have seen affiliates here jump all over sign up bonuses. How long have you been established as a merchant, may I ask?
    ~Lisa - Brilliant Mastermind, or Nut? You decide!

Yep
    No probs - I was getting a little confused too!?!

Anyway, yeah - I thought the structure I set up sounded pretty good too, but alas, not so successful for me so far.

In answer to your questions

The site is based on a professional template which I think looks pretty reasonable. It ain't MSN, but it's not ugly either.

I pay comparative commissions to my competitors (better than most).

Cookie duration is 90 Days (this was the default setting - too short?)

Terms and conditions are very simple.

I think I will invest in an announcement here too to get things off the ground a bit more.

Hi straniero,

the problem in traditional networks is just this. Listing your program does not guarantee success.

It's not so easy

The best way is the old way..
    Check out potential affiliates' sites (target audience), and phone to invite each prospect to learn more about your opportunity and sign up for your affiliate program. There are too many programs out there and you shall make something more to succeed... Payout rates are just one of the variables.

All the best!

Max

www.MyReferer.com - Private Affiliate Management Solutions

What network is it in? Sometimes that makes a difference.

What industry, and how specialized? Something really specialized is much harder.

BTW, you're welcome to put your site in your profile so that people who click on your profile can find you.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

H
    Hi everyone - thanks for the replies.

Yeah, my next step will be getting it infront of as many potential affiliates as I can. I probably will be contacting them offline too, as suggested. Any tips on finding the best ones?

I even bought an announcement here at abestwebs, but it didn't post and they won't reply to my two emails asking for help after about a week. I'm hoping it's not $50 down the drain.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    Posts to the announcement section are moderated by Haiko and don't appear until they're approved. That's why it didn't appear immediately like a normal post.

I can't comment on the weeklong delay since I don't know the issues surrounding that...
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

There is/has not been a sign of your posting, what was your order number?
    Continued Success,

Haiko
    The secret of success is constancy of purpose ~ Disraeli

Whoah - My Bad! It seems to have been there since the 3rd. Apologies - I just didn't see it show up.

[refund given, url removed along with original announcement]
    Last edited by Haiko de Poel, Jr.; July 12th, 2005 at 02:29 PM.

ABW Ambassador
    The biggest problem?

You are selling junk, and are just one of 10 million other sites selling the same junk.

You can tell me you are the one merchant not selling junk, you are the one guy actually selling quality traffic at $5 per thousand. You could swear to your mother and hope to die.

And I still wouldn't believe you.

If you are selling such quality, targetted traffic - why can't you sell yourself the traffic? Why can't you target affiliates? Sites needing traffic?

Chet

Chet - I have actually used this traffic for other sites, but it's most effective when you make an offer in order to grab an email address for future selling (at least in my experience). The conversion rate was nowhere near as good as targetted PPC, but the price was nowhere near as high either. This site isn't really suited to that strategy anyway.

The problem with this site isn't really that the product doesn't sell. In fact it has a reasonable conversion rate, which would suggest there is a demand for it if you can target the right audience (and I assure you that many of the people who use it do so profitably). My problem is getting in front of that audience - a privelege for which I am willing to pay for affiliate help. And that is where I would like to focus this thread.

Internet Cowboy
    Another third-rate PPC money hole. Expired domain redirects and popunders are your two main traffic sources?
    Garbage in...Garbage out!

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Common Hype & s "LotsOfClicks.com has an established network partners who use varying methods to deliver traffic. The two main methods used are redirecting traffic from expired domains (this is how the traffic can be targeted by category) and also by use of popunder windows." from FAQ.

Real effective targeted advertising doesn't occur when the publisher page content has already enticed a referral to an outside site throwing an exit popunder at them. Too much like a kick in the ass as they're going out the door. It goes down hill from there for advertisers when the traffic reseller hijacks it from expired domain PPCSE template Ads or scraped content links sites. Sample this wanks scrapped content site using a traffic scalpers scumbag plan to monitize stolen content with stolen traffic... http://www.learn-about-your-camera.com/ Ain't nothing but recruiting affiliates for a program pushing a poorman's BHO type pop on the desperate traffic cheapskate.

God do I love those blinded by an advertising mindset. They never cease to amaze me.
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

Quote Originally Posted by chetf
    The biggest problem? You are selling junk, and are just one of 10 million other sites selling the same junk.
    Chet hit the nail on the head here. Junk business concept on a junk network.

I'm actually surprised Haiko accepted your Announcement.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

18. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread