ABW Ambassador
    google positions
    When I do a search with www.googlerankings.com for one of my websites I get the result that it is ranked #1, but when I do a direct search at google.com the website is not yet ranked at all. Is google showing different results for different countries or different visitors?

roland

lurk
    Googles indexing is quite complex, I used to have an article on how they do it that would inform you completly but cant seem to find it.

Anyway they have multiple indexing servers all over the world... they cant update all at the same time because it would cause a slow down. So, people in certain regions are pinging a different indexing server that you may be seeing so there are periods in which your results are different than others.

Once the indexing server that is updated is complete it will move on the to the next and so on until it is complete.

That is a really really brief explanation but that is the gist of it.

lurk
    Update: Forgot, it is referred to as the "Google Dance"

here is a link that explains it in detail: http://www.google-dance-tool.com/wha...gle_dance.html

ABW Ambassador
    Thanks

ABW Ambassador
    You can be in the same room as someone on another computer and each pull up different results. It's something like a "load balancing" thing if I'm not mistaken, but for sure you can be hitting different data centers from the same room, sometimes even if you just refresh the pages on the same computer.

The Thin White Duke PreacherMan's Avatar
    Use this tool to see you site's rankings for a keyword on multiple Google datacenters http://www.mcdar.net/Q-Check/datatool.asp
    Keep on learning, keep on earning. :fan:

ABW Ambassador
    It happened again. I described that in another thread. I found my website as #1 in google when I did the search. I clicked on it to view my website. 1 minute later I repeated the search and dropped on position 14. I again clicked on it and after another minute I dropped on position 48. I again clicked on it and then the website was kicked out of the first 800 search results. This is exactly what happend with this sitre some months before and what happened to a few of my other websites.

roland

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    Are you making sure to wait a decent amount of time before going back to Google to check again? I read somewhere that if a search is repeated too quickly, G figures the site wasn't a good "hit." Webmasters tend to try to do checks like this very fast, so you could be inadvertantly telling G that your site sucks!

Disclaimer: As with all things Google, the above is speculation.
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

Google loves me. This I know.
    For, my rankings tell me so.
    I am thin but sells are strong.
    Addle text has come along.

Yes! Google loves me!
    Yes! Google loves me!
    Yes! Google loves me!
    For, my rankings tell me so.

(Joke! I hope that is not TOO offensive!)
    Comments are opinion unless otherwise noted. Remember, pillage first. Then burn. Half of all people in the world have IQs under 100. You best learn to trust ol' SSanf!

ABW Ambassador
    Thanks SSanf - I needed a good laugh.

Wish I could be singing it with you. Google isn't as fond of my sites. (I'm working on it.)

ABW Ambassador
    I don't think that this is the reason. How many searches will be executed within a minute in google?

roland

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    I am thin but sells are strong.
    Addle text has come along.
    So it's official? It helped your ranks?
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

I wish I could but I, in all honesty, cannot make any such claims.

For one thing, my sites, alone, would be too small a sample to draw any such conclusions. For another thing, since I got kicked in the shins so badly by Google, I have been doing everything except standing on my head and whistling Dixie to get back in. I hired help to get links into some directories (I can't do everything!), bought advertising on a relevant site and many other things too numerous to mention.

Something worked. But, I can't isolate anything and say this was the one factor. I wish I could but I can't.

I have been in too much of a panic mode to be doing a good scientific test. It is the poop on the wall theory in place again. I have been throwing all the shit I know at Google. Something stuck.
    Last edited by SSanf; July 4th, 2005 at 09:32 AM.
    Comments are opinion unless otherwise noted. Remember, pillage first. Then burn. Half of all people in the world have IQs under 100. You best learn to trust ol' SSanf!

14. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread