ABW Ambassador
    Linkshare Linking Code Question
    I am reviewing some of the links on my site, and noticed something about the Linkshare linking code that I hadn't before. This is Linkshare's definition of their linking code (from their FAQs):

1. Redirect: Each link starts with the location of the LinkShare server.
    2. Affiliate ID: (id=lMh2Xiq9xN0) This tells LinkShare from which affiliate the click came.
    3. Offer ID: (&offerid=7097.10000034) The numbers before the decimal tell LinkShare what offer the affiliate is in (baseline, special offer etc). The numbers after the decimal tell LinkShare exactly what link in that offer has been clicked on (and any corresponding landing page etc).
    4. Sub Affiliate ID: (&subid=0) If the affiliate has multiple sites that it manages through a single LinkShare account, each site has a subID.
    5. Link Type: (&type=4) This tells LinkShare what kind of link has been clicked on (banner, text etc)

My question is about the Offer ID. When a merchant extends a special offer to me, does that mean that I have to go through and change all my links to reflect that new Offer ID in order for me to benefit from the new terms?

Outsourced Program Manager Chris -  AMWSO's Avatar
    Hi

Great question.

And the good news, no you don't. I have tested that and the order ID is not relevant to the commission tracking. Commission is based on the Offer Id your account is signed up for.

Cheers

chris
    Affiliate Marketing by AMWSO. Skype - chrissanderson ::: TEL 1-720-336-1784 ::: www.amwso.net
    Join our affiliate programs :Vaper Empire, Iolo, Art of Tea, or See ALL our Programs here

Outsourced Program Manager Chris -  AMWSO's Avatar
    By the way, you change the offer for custom links to

Offer ID: (&offerid=7097.1 where 1 = custom and then use the PARAM3 attribute to set a custom landing page on the merchants site

Cheers

Chris
    Affiliate Marketing by AMWSO. Skype - chrissanderson ::: TEL 1-720-336-1784 ::: www.amwso.net
    Join our affiliate programs :Vaper Empire, Iolo, Art of Tea, or See ALL our Programs here

ABW Ambassador
    Thanks so much! I also found this in the FAQ interface:

If I opt into a new program level than the one for which I originally created links, do I need to update my linking code to ensure I earn the new commission?

No. When you change program levels, you do not need to change any of your existing links. LinkShare updates our databases with your most current information to assure you earn the correct commission.

Note that program level updates will occur at 00:00 GMT the day of the switch. For instance, if you opt into program level 2.1 the morning of January 30, participation in program 2.1 will take effect as of January 31. All transactions that occur from this point forward will be commissioned according to program level 2.1.

Lightbulb however . . .
    >>>No. When you change program levels, you do not need to change any of your existing links. LinkShare updates our databases with your most current information to assure you earn the correct commission. <<<

however, if you were using the original offer ID number to identify the ads on your pages, you'd better record the new one quick so you can find the ad again when you want to find the ad for replacement.

6. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread