ABW Ambassador
    Anyone else think this is in bad taste?
    I didn't know Corey Rudl but do know that he sold a lot of stuff and helped a lot of people. Just in the last day or so, I've gotten 4 or 5 spam emails from people who are using his death to try to sell marketing products. I know people are trying to make money and it may be "just business" - but man, I think that is sick.

Millionaire on training wheels Justdoit's Avatar
    I agree with you Kip, I've gotten a few spam emails myself and it turns my stomach... I had the privilege of meeting Cory a few years ago in Vancouver and he was a down to earth guy, and to try to profit from his unfortunate demise is just not right.... There is more to life than money...

lurk
    No respect. It's like when people started fake donation websites after 9/11. Ruthless.

How can people in good conscience do that?.... guess the key work is good

Yeah that is some ruthless junk man.

Domain Addict / Formerly known as elbowcreek Thomas A. Rice's Avatar
    The day after Terry Schiavo died, there was a local law firm that came out with an ad that said, "Don't let what happened to Terry Schiavo happen to you. Get a living will. Brought to you by Sleazebag Law Firm." I thought that was incredibly tacky, and I'm sorry to see someone taking advantage of his death as well, sometimes I just don't know how some people can sleep at night.
    Following everyone else is a GREAT way to become average.

Well, I received thefirst new marketing message from Corey's New "Take over manager" and I found it to be totally distasteful. I belong to Corey's Affiliate Marketing Team, and I couldnt believe when I read how his death was incorporated into the marketing strategy. Although I did have this thought: Would Corey have done the same thing. Would he have marketet the same way? I wonder.

Anyways, as always lately, these marketing "gurus" have me in a mental confusion...

Good thing for this forum. At least it's sane, as far as sane and the internet go
    Ruth

The problem is where do you draw the line. Lots of people got on the bandwagon after 9-11 selling american flags, is this bad? Companies sell weight loss products by profiting on people's lack of self esteem. Same goes for any other "look better" product. face creams, tanning salons, gym memberships, etc - is this immoral?

I agree there's a line in there and profiting off of someone's death is over it, but where do you draw it? I'll answer this here , there is no right answer and no perfect place for the line

Quote Originally Posted by ScottMN
    The problem is where do you draw the line. Lots of people got on the bandwagon after 9-11 selling american flags, is this bad? Companies sell weight loss products by profiting on people's lack of self esteem. Same goes for any other "look better" product. face creams, tanning salons, gym memberships, etc - is this immoral?

I agree there's a line in there and profiting off of someone's death is over it, but where do you draw it? I'll answer this here , there is no right answer and no perfect place for the line

Yes I do agree with you. It is a tough descision at times. I noticed the same happened with the Tsunami. Many took advantage of the moment, and that in itself I suppose is not so bad. But many, many took advantage of the moment in very bad taste.

When someone uses the tradedy as a direct tool, then to me it is crossing the line.

As example, when the pope died, lots of persons sold more pictures of him then they normally would have. That is o.k.to me. But, if the pope's death was used directly, for instance, if the Vatican would have said: if " you dont buy a picture of the pope today, tomorrow you will never be able to buy any ever again" and then offered great specials of these pictures, at that point, to me it is crossing the line.

What I took offense at with Coryey's marketing is that they told us if we buy a product, part of the $ will go to Corey's favorite charity, that is cool. If we buy this, we will get an extra gift "from Corey", BUT, if we dont buy, let's say today, we will forever be out of luck, no charity, no more videos, ever.
    Well, just the way it was put across is what irked me.

Corey was a great marketer, he had the respect of old and young alike. Why not keep his memory alive longer, rather then just for a short marketing moment. Anyways, I guess I should not mix business with emotions .. that will get me all the time.

Absolutely, it's impossible to keep them completely separate and shouldn't be kept separate I think. Good business also means being morally accountable and that means injecting emotion . good thoughts by the way

When you go to the website http://www.marketingtips.com/, there is nothing said about any of this stuff you are getting in the emails. In fact, there is a very nice tribute to him on the first page.

Are you sure the emails are coming directly from the company, and not some scum-bag affiliate who is masking the emails to look like they are coming from the company to try and make an extra buck?

ABW Ambassador
    Yes, at least one of them was from the new CEO of the marketing center promoting a special "Tribute Edition" of the latest edition of whatever Corey was selling.

I deleted most of the other emails so I don't know who sent what but one had links to pictures of the crash site along with the marketing message.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    Strikes me as too mercenary...on the other hand, using a marketer's death for more marketing is kind of fitting, unless he was WAY different from most promoters.

Although I did have this thought: Would Corey have done the same thing. Would he have marketet the same way? I wonder.~SonjaHelga
    If the answer is "yes" then it's fine. If it would've been "no," then it's not. That's the bottom line, IMO. The person's life and outlook is as important as the fact that they've died, I think. A real marketer may be more offended if the sales opportunity was missed!
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

what is going on is what Cory would be doing... capitalizing on the moment....

Joe
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    that's my2cents, 'cuz I'm a legend in my own mind....

15. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread