We are receiving feeds for Linkshare & CJ and are about to receive from BeFree. However, these feeds are the FULL product listings. We do not need these, we are looking to extract the savings and promotions offered. When we try to parse data using keywords that should extract what we are looking for, we get zip. What are we doing wrong? Any recommendations for retrieving text only links form our affils that only offer money savings?

[This message was edited by The Dealer on October 02, 2003 at 03:41 PM.]

[This message was edited by The Dealer on October 02, 2003 at 03:48 PM.]

Datafeeds ARE the full product listings. Datafeeds are used to publish your merchant's products on your website, making it easier than handcoding.

If you're trying to find coupons and sales promotions in the datafeeds, I doubt that you'll run across them. I've not seen a datafeed from any merchant that had these included in their datafeed. There are some that list the sale price of products but not coupons/promotions. For those, you'll need to contact your merchants and get them straight from them.

Any recommendations on how to bypass the affiliate management companies' interfaces such that we can extract the "deals" or special offers from them?

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>bypass the affiliate management companies' interfaces? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The whole point of an affiliate network is to give affiliates access to specials and promotions.

What is it that you are actually wanting to do? List specials and promotions for each merchant?

www.cjshoppingnetwork.com

Sounds like you are looking for an easy automated way to get all the coupons and special promotions. It just doesn't exist that I know of.

Connie Berg
    http://www.flamingoworld.com

Yes! What we are looking to do is to post the text-only specials offered by our affiliates. With (150 now on CJ) so many affiliates, it is not possible to update this info manually weekly, forget about daily. The easiest way so far I have found, at least with CJ, is to either 1) create a seperate smartzone for each of our 150 merchants listing the links, BUT the selected links in the zone rotate, thus not allowing for all the links to be visible on a page (is there a way to list all through the smartzone setting and not have rotation?) or
    2) Manually scroll through every affiliate page links and copy and paste every applicable text link onto our site--- geesh... this takes FOREVER! Can ANYONE (please god) can anyone help!! I am drowning in text links and my carpal tunnel is acting up

It is possible to keep up with it daily and weekly, many of us already do it. Some of us work together and help each other out and we do work 18+ hours a day!

It helps to have a database to put the info into. Many of the networks and merchants do send out their deals in emails, some with the whole months deals listed so we can get them all in our system at once.

Connie Berg

Exactly what Connie said. I love the merchants that send out a monthly email with all their monthly promotions with all the important details such as what the promotion is, pre-coded link to a specific landing page with the promotion explained, good coupon code if necessary and the most important an expiration date! It really helps to pre-load your database for the month with accurate info.

It gives the spouses something useful to do for a change...
    Make them find and verify codes, pay them minimum wage and you have it made.

Connie Berg

Well, I suppose this can be done, but we are affiliated with over 300 merchants right now. If I spent all day every day for a week, I guess the site would be updated for THAT week--but how inefficient I cannot beleive that big couponers like coolsavings and the like have a team of peons thumbing through hndreds of pages of links to cut and paste them onto a site... Coolsavings.com had somehting like $30 mil in rev last year (or so I am told).. they had to have a system that would faciliatate this process.....

ABW Ambassador
    CoolSavings only has 63 merchants some with free stuff, printable coupons, online coupons etc. So it doesn't take much to update that site. Don't think theres anything out there what you're looking for or we'd all be using it

Hmm So what you are saying is that I am doomed to the tedious'ness' of the affiliate management interface and manually inputting all this data?
    Also, how come these specials are not listed in the data feeds? It would make sense. And what about the database of links that Linkshare and CJ uses, is there any way to get THOSE fed? - I am referring to the ones offered to publishers.

ABW Ambassador
    Yes. Datafeeds are just product links nothing else. Specials you get through email or pick up in the creative. Don't know what kind of site you have or starting but i wouldn't advise starting up a coupon site at this point.

"The successful man is the average man, focused."

why would you recommend that?

I wouldn't want a database of links from Linkshare and CJ, what good would that do with all the outdated links in there??
    I would just be happy if all the merchants would keep their promotions and links up to date so we don't have to go thru the hassle of validating them all.

The coupon field is so saturated. Unless you are already established or can spend $$$$$ on pay per click search engines there is not much chance of having any success. I myself am looking to expand on to different things, coupon sites are a dime a dozen.

Connie Berg

ABW Ambassador
    I don't operate a coupon site. However, I made good money in September. You do not need to do a coupon site, you can make a lot with a sales site.
    I may expand into coupons, but that is only because I already have a good amount of traffic already coming to my site.
    I can imagine that trying to start with a coupon site would be difficult. Start with a sales site and expand to include a coupon area once you have the levels of traffic required to be successful.

I am confident that almost anyone can earn some money with a sales site. However, a coupon site is much more difficult as you are competing with some big sites such as Coolsavings etc.

You can come up with thousands of different items for a sales site, but a coupon site targets specific keywords that are VERY competetive.

But the thing is, most of those coupon sites really suck.. EVEN coolsavings.com.. 63 total merchants? Come on, that's nothing. Looks like we have our work cut out for us- or time to go into another business

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Coolsavings.com had somehting like $30 mil in rev last year (or so I am told)..

But the thing is, most of those coupon sites really suck.. EVEN coolsavings.com<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

If they suck, how can they be making $30 million?

Well 'suck' is the wrong word, I mis-spoke.. let's just say they lack, at least from a consumer point of view. I mean I would really have to search several of these coupon sites to get an educated overall picture of what my better avenue was, in order to save the most money.

I see it like this:
    1)One of the leading coupon sites generated $30 mil in revenue last year- good number
    2)One of the leading coupon sites has 63 merchants- good number?
    3)Many of the leading coupon sites lack ample content to create an optimized consumer market analysis for minimizing expense
    4)The coupon website market is highly saturated
    5)No one has developed a method for facilitating the process of feeding text only coupon links from the affiliates directly to your website

Anyone else see great opportunity here?
    Is the market REALLY saturated?
    Are any of these coupon sites really maximizing their offerings?

And to answer your question,"how can they be making $30 mil"?
    &gt;&gt;&gt; They have an awesome mailing list

Cheers

[This message was edited by The Dealer on October 03, 2003 at 01:51 PM.]

[This message was edited by The Dealer on October 03, 2003 at 02:25 PM.]

[This message was edited by The Dealer on October 03, 2003 at 02:26 PM.]

20. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread