Marketing Mistress Lectrickitty's Avatar
    Checked duplicate pages that rank higher than mine
    I searched several key words from one of my genealogy pages. My index page used to be #1 and several of my pages ranked fairly high (3 on the first page of a search) now all my pages have totally fell off the list.

Now the part that p*ss*s me off is that someone evidently viewed source and copied my page EXACTLY (they even copied my backgrounds that I made in my photo program and my pictures that I took with my own camera!). Their copy of MY page is #1 on google under several key words.

Do you think google banished me because of the copied pages?

I viewed source on their page and found that they kept my jpg names, the only thing they did is change my email addy to their's. They have NO meta tags or description of the page. Google crawled their pages and placed them, and deleted my original pages from the SE. BAAAHHHHHHHH!!!!

I don't mind that they used my info (even if it did take me 30 years of hard research to put the pages together!), but it really ticks me off that google dumped my pages and put pilfered copies in the #1 position!!!

I think this is happening quite a lot now.

This is the main reason I am banning all bots/scrappers/spiders from my sites.
    I am only admiting the ones I know are good like google msn yahoo etc.
    One day parasites and their ilk will be made illegal, I bet a few Lawyers will be pissed off when the day comes.
    Mr. Spitzer is fetching it nearer

YouTrek

Marketing Mistress Lectrickitty's Avatar
    If it's not a big secret, how do you ban all bots/scrappers/spiders?

More Cheesier Than Ever Cheesehead's Avatar
    If there is an email address for the copier, contact them at once and demand that they remove the page. If this is not successful, file a DMCA with google at http://www.google.com/dmca.html . Do a search of their domain to find contact info. Also, send an inquiry to http://www.google.com/support/bin/re...ebmaster&hl=en They will send back a form response but if you reply, then some actual person will probably take a look at the situation. (They did for me)

I had this happen to me but it was not malicious and the copy site was quickly removed. My rankings rebounded with the next crawl. Yes, your site can be displaced by a copy.

This does get one quite frustrated.
    This World is Not My Home
    We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. . . And then we're gonna go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goalline! Quotes from the movie Rudy, 1993

You can ban them like this put the complete list of all the IP's in your .htaccess file

<Limit GET PUT POST>
    order deny,allow
    deny from 202.108.249.182
    deny from 202.108.250.244
    </Limit>
    One day parasites and their ilk will be made illegal, I bet a few Lawyers will be pissed off when the day comes.
    Mr. Spitzer is fetching it nearer

YouTrek

we caught someone today.
    they are selling our product on ebay and using pictures and text from our site.
    we are just about to fry their ass
    Find us at shareasale.com 12% commission
    Shareasale Merchant 7191
    PLAZAN SKIN CARE As seen on TV . Used by Jennifer Lopez

I have genealogy pages on my personal site that are always being ripped off. In one case the person was ranking higher than me for my pages that had been online for several years.

I contacted Google, filed a complaint, also contacted the offending person's affiliate managers that were listed on his site, wrote his ISP (you get that from doing a "WhoIS") , etc.. The site was taken down and Google restored my ranking.

You can use the Internet Archive to prove you were first. Be sure to copy any letters you write.

http://www.archive.org/index.html

http://www.betterwhois.com/

Good Luck!!
    Ebudae

Quote Originally Posted by Neil
    we caught someone today.
    they are selling our product on ebay and using pictures and text from our site.
    we are just about to fry their ass
    lol, had that happen too.

I replaced the hot linked pictures with one that said "buy this flag cheaper from www.myurl.com"

hehe, got lots of orders...
    Ebudae

I like traffic lights
    Southern hemisphere - away from Fukushima
    And file a DCMA with their webhost and their site will disappear very quickly, if it's hosting in the USA.

10. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread