Angry Merchant that jump programs
    I wonder how many others have had this happen? I had 3 merchants with a good pruct mix IN LS, checking reports, I had a fair amount of sales, and loads of traffic.Then I find out they jumped to a smaller, less expensive program, and my tracking codes don't work.Now, I have to start all over with them, in the new programs.As you all know, it takes alot of time, and cash to build good sites,and with the time of year,and all the other reasons,job slump,
    poor economy,sales are meager, but at least paid for the sites,google,ftp
    etc. If I was not considered overqualified by the state employment office, and 72, I need every penny,since social security don't hack the rising cost of living,when there is a record breaking fuel crisis, everything goes up.
    Thanks to Mr.Bush (Shrub) Our big surplus went down the oil drain.
    My nickles worth
    JJ

Why does it affect you beyond updating your links? I don't see how your sites, content, traffic, etc. are touched by this. Apologies in advance if this is a dumb question.

As for why they switch to a different program I would be interested in knowing that. Perhaps there is some wisdom here that other merchants should consider before starting with a network platform or some other affiliate management solution.

Regards,
    Peter

perhapse the merchant should have given their affiliates a few months before closing down the original network to give the affiliates time to migrate? Also, whe does the merchant need to close the original network atall, I am having success running my program on 5 seperate networks.
    [B]~ Steven Stark[/B]
    [URL=http://www.vancouveronlinemedia.com]Vancouver Online Media[/URL]

Unfortunately, Linkshare's exclusivity clause doesn't give merchants that option.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

oh well that sucks. I declined LS due to their insane price, now I have another reason not to consider them.
    [B]~ Steven Stark[/B]
    [URL=http://www.vancouveronlinemedia.com]Vancouver Online Media[/URL]

they do, however, seem to make concessions for some circumstances. or maybe when under pressure.

Affiliate Manager
    It's the almighty $$ that does the talking there I'm sure...

ABW Ambassador
    All a merchant who is at LS has to do is tell LS they want a new contract or they'll leave when the current one is up. Imagine if Overstock told them:

We want to be able to open up our program at other places too or we'll leave when our contract is up.

What do you think LS would do? They're not going to risk losing merchants if merchants wanted that ability. All merchants have to do is ask. Don't even know why they would even agree to have their hands tied in the first place. A merchant should never limit the avenues an affiliate can partner with them.

Trust,

I'm not so sure that is true in every instance. I know of an affiliate manager who told me they tried to get LS to let them offer the program outside and LS said no. That is probably why so many LS merchants are now doing it on the sly. Yes, if Overstock went to LS and asked that might be a different story, but for the smaller or medium size merchants it does not seem to work.

I think, though, that we will see LS start to make some concessions to keep merchants and affiliates because of all the trouble they have had the last few months. I believe the announcement that affiliates can now get the merchandiser feeds without paying the $250 is a perfect example of that. Yes, I may be wrong on this point, but it was the first thought that came to minde when I read the announcemnt and my instincts have been pretty much on the money lately.
    Ron Bechdolt | Affiliate Program Management Consultant
    7 Days A Week Marketing

ABW Ambassador
    Yeah, i think if the bigger merchants, Overstock, Dell, Office Depot etc, put that up, they would have no choice but to let them. I wish more merchants would stand up for themselves. LS is nothing without merchants.

If they let one slide, though, then everyone else would say...but you made concessions for Overstock. Regardless, I think the open policy is better for the merchant, the affiliates, but apparently not LinkShare.

I think that the reality for smaller merchants that aren't dell, overstock, etc. is that it is too expensive to run multiple programs. Especially with the fees you get charged at CJ for not meeting their $500 min cut of the commission each month.

I don't know who the merchant is but they probably had a viable reason for switching programs, probably was to save money.

But what I don't agree with is the fact that they switched networks and you were never contacted. This should have been something they talked up for months to get everyone especially affiliates that are actually promoting their products to be prepared for the switch. That was just stupidity on their part because not only does it hurt your sales it hurts theirs as well.

Oh well maybe other merchants will see this thread and not make the same mistake!

Amanda

Smile Merchants that leave Linkshare
    Quote Originally Posted by amanda_mytights
    I think that the reality for smaller merchants that aren't dell, overstock, etc. is that it is too expensive to run multiple programs. Especially with the fees you get charged at CJ for not meeting their $500 min cut of the commission each month.

I don't know who the merchant is but they probably had a viable reason for switching programs, probably was to save money.

But what I don't agree with is the fact that they switched networks and you were never contacted. This should have been something they talked up for months to get everyone especially affiliates that are actually promoting their products to be prepared for the switch. That was just stupidity on their part because not only does it hurt your sales it hurts theirs as well.

Oh well maybe other merchants will see this thread and not make the same mistake!

Amanda
    THE MERCHANTS THAT LEAVE lINKSHARE USUALLY DO CONTCT ME.tHE REASON ARE lS CHARGES A HIGHER ANNUAL FEE THAN THE SMALLER INDEPENDENT PROGRAMS.tHEN, THEY OFFER BETTER COMMISIONS, AND INCENTENTIVES.THIS ONE WAS SAN FRANCISCO MUSIC BOX.3 DAYS AFTER I SWITHCHED, I HAD 3 SALES.EXCUSE THE CAPS, I HAD TO BUY A NEW TOWER,IT CAME WITH A NEW KEYBOARD, AND I HAVE BEEN OFF LINE FOR A WEEK.I HAVE GREAT SUCCESS WITH SOME ls MERCHANTS, LIKE J & R, I DON'T LIKE THE NEW SETUP, THEY SEND CHECKS WITH THE WRONG NAMES,AND DON'T INCLUDE WHICH MERCHANTS WERE INVOLVED.ALL OF MY SITES HAVE THE SAME DOMAIN NAME, THEY SENT IT TO THAT NAME, I AM TIRED OF CONSTANTLY CHANGING MY PROFILE WITH THEM.
    MY NICKELS WORTH..

Exclamation
    It is possible to sell stuff from San Francisco Music Box through other merchants. Fun To Collect handles them.

and other good stuff.

Right,so does Go collect, but I don't like third party merchant sales,they get lost at times, like so many from Commision Junction did.
    JJ

16. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread