Ms Dumb Ass ... but, *NOT* Today! westgroup's Avatar
    1 reason geeks are lucky
    Saturday I worked 15 hours at my "regular" job, yesterday it was 16.5 hours.

Yes, I will get paid but there will be no residuals. The work I did yesterday will not really help me in my financial future.

If I had the brains to be able to program, write or run scripts then I could have been home working the same hours but for myself self.

I do read all I can about trying to make my sites better but it takes me longer then many to pick it up. I do understand that 99.9% of affiliates have gotten where they are due to countless hours of brain wracking trying and trying again, never giving up, burning as they say the midnight oil month after month, year after year.

You also have those who seem to have it come naturally, almost like a gift.

To those lucky few ( very few) here's to you enjoy your 4th. Me I'll be hanging out here reading, learning, applying and getting ready for work tomorrow.

you're one of the lucky one's.... your hear .. doing what you want to do... not what you're expected to do....

JOe
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    that's my2cents, 'cuz I'm a legend in my own mind....

If I had the brains to be able to program, write or run scripts then I could have been home working the same hours but for myself self.
    This all all good but when I read that I almost fell off my chair as I do none of that. Programing and running scripts are not my fortay or will they ever be. Instead of learning that I build half ass quality content pages about nothing over and over. Wow it feels good to admit that lol. Learning scripts and programs are not really needed unless you feel like doing that stuff and it cant hurt. Sure affiliate marketing is always going to shift to where you have to take the time to learn something. I am sure there are people learning goldencan features as we speak like me. Building the fountation of a site is what its all about for me though.
    Vinny O'Hare - OPM - Contact Info email: vinny at teamloxly.com ~ 702-582-6742 Twitter

Hang in there Westgroup and keep plugging at it. NyFalcon is right! You don't need to know scripts and programming (I'm sure it helps) to make money. Keep reading here at ABW and you will learn much. I've been lurking here for a couple of years and have learned a bunch!
    Travelin' Man

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will lead you there." -- unknown

Marketing Mistress Lectrickitty's Avatar
    I guess my problem is that I want it all and I want it now... My new mantra is: patience, patience, patience... but dangit, I still want it all and I still want it now...

Talking
    Quote Originally Posted by Lectrickitty
    I guess my problem is that I want it all and I want it now... My new mantra is: patience, patience, patience... but dangit, I still want it all and I still want it now...
    It nevers happens that way though.

It takes hard work - unless your parents are rich and left you a lot of money.

Give Me A Minute Before I Post Again

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by westgroup
    Saturday I worked 15 hours at my "regular" job, yesterday it was 16.5 hours.

Yes, I will get paid but there will be no residuals. The work I did yesterday will not really help me in my financial future.

I do read all I can about trying to make my sites better but it takes me longer then many to pick it up. I do understand that 99.9% of affiliates have gotten where they are due to countless hours of brain wracking trying and trying again, never giving up, burning as they say the midnight oil month after month, year after year.

You also have those who seem to have it come naturally, almost like a gift.

To those lucky few ( very few) here's to you enjoy your 4th. Me I'll be hanging out here reading, learning, applying and getting ready for work tomorrow.

Hi, WestGroup!

You can also work that same 15 or 16.5 hours a day on your web site and have absolutely no sales to show for it, too. Tech sites seem to be particularly hard to launch into profitability.

At least with a "real" job you get some money out of the deal, even if you dislike your job very much.

Be sure to study HTML 3.2 and 4.0 as well as CSS. Become an HTML code master.

Avoid Macromedia software, such as Flash, like the Black Plague as it just bloats your site and drives visitors away due to it's excessively long load-up times. Try to avoid JavaScript as much as possible as it confuses search engine spiders.

Code as best as you can according to W3C standards and you will do fine with search engine placement with the AllTheWeb, AltaVista, MSN, Teoma and Yahoo search engines. Contrary to very popular opinion, work and polish your metatags to the max.

Nobody really understands the link-crazed Google search engine though many so-called SEOs claim to. Learn how to make a simple .txt sitemap for the link-crazed Google.

O'Reilly publishes really great books on web site programming. Highly recommended!!

Always keep some money stashed away for domain registration fees, web host fees and spare computer parts, like monitors, power supplies, "hardware" modems and inexpensive video cards. Avoid Winmodems if at all possible.

I hope you can get out of your obviously back-breaking day job. I know what too many years of that is like, believe me!

Keep on plugging away. Rome wasn't built in a day.

Best,
    RadarCat

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    At least with a "real" job you get some money out of the deal, even if you dislike your job very much.
    The thing is, when a job is disliked very much, the earning potential is usually killed due to accellerated quitting!

~~~~~

AM doesn't have to be nearly as hard as all that. 3.2, 4.0, W3C compliance...that's the kind of stuff to bother with after you get the main points. In AM, you're in business to get people to buy stuff, not make pretty code. It doesn't have to be mutually exclusive by any means--but the priority should be on whether the pages sell. A perfectly-coded, nonconversionary page is worth exactly the same as a poorly coded one. So, I think it's most logical to concentrate first on the conversion ratio.

Flash is indeed off-putting to many, but Macromedia development products, specifically Dreamweaver, have been a great help to me. It'd take a lot longer (or forever LOL) to upgrade my sites to use better tech if I didn't have it. For instance, I know a bit of CSS...but it knows a LOT. I'm glad to have my "expert CSS programmer and site designer" right there on the desktop.

Always keep some money stashed away for domain registration fees, web host fees and spare computer parts, like monitors, power supplies, "hardware" modems and inexpensive video cards. Avoid Winmodems if at all possible.
    Things come up and sheet happens, alright. Fortunately I've had good luck with the monitor and video card. But I've had both mice and keyboards die on me, along with a computer fan. So yeah, that slush fund comes in handy. Since I'm a gamer, I didn't go for an "inexpensive" video card. I'd had enough of *that* torture with the last system I had!

Speaking of hardware, I'll add "max up the RAM" to RadarCat's hardware list. There comes a time when waiting for files to process gets real old. Even if you never play game the first, lots of RAM is always good.
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

9. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread