Question A mall site or a single category site to start ?
    Hello, I'm new here. sorry if I post in wrong forum.

I want to build an affiliate site, but I'm confused whether building a mall site or a single product site. Which site is getting larger income ? Could anyone give some sample of both site ?

Thanks,

Hi, Welcome on ABW.

It's impossible to say whick kind of site will make you more money. Some people make lots of money with single product sites, other people make lots with mall sites. With affiliate marketing there are no income guarantees. Also, to find examples, it's best to just look for a product on Google or another searchengines and find out why certain sites rank high and learn from it.

Maybe it's a good idea to just build a single product site and a mall site and see what works best for you. Remember, it can take a long time before you see your first sale.

How many MBytes of webhosting space is needed to build a common affiliate site ?
    thanks

ABW Ambassador
    You can actually do both, but it's harder to keep track of a lot of different products and merchants than a niche site that's just one type of products.

For a single product or group of related products, I'd suggest that you start with something you're interested in that you know something about, or make a list of a couple of possibilities like that, so that it's easy to put content together. And then check how many good merchants there are to choose from.

You can do fine with 25 (or 50) meg to start, some take even much less than 10. It depends on what type of site you're planning. But it is a good idea that the hosting has PHP and mod_rewrite and there are plenty of reasonable ones around.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    it's harder to keep track of a lot of different products and merchants
    That's a small price to pay, for the peace of mind of knowing that if a merchant dies/closes program, or if a niche turns out to be a dud, that you still have a viable site.

Mall sites are my pick. I've done niches, but with the exception of a few spikes, my mall sites have been much better performers. And malls are a lot less effected by the vagaries of the market. Losing a category, or accidentally promoting a dud category, on a mall site is like losing a branch from a tree--while with a niche site it could be the death of the entire plant.

As for getting a replacement merchant, sometimes when the main one dies/closes program there is the shock of finding out that all their competition is gone, too! Presto, major 404sville to the niche site. But on a mall? Just sell something else.

How many MBytes of webhosting space is needed to build a common affiliate site ?
    What's a "common" affiliate site? LOL I've got sites ranging from about 6-8 MBs all the way up to nearly 2GBs!
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    >>Moved thread to "Newbie FAQs."
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

Try to focus your favourite category.ie if you game maniacs try build game site this will boost your energy to build site ... put banner on that site or maybe products

Domain Addict / Formerly known as elbowcreek Thomas A. Rice's Avatar
    Every affiliate has a different response to that, I bet. My response would be the exact opposite of Leaders, in the sense that I've had a very profitable niche sites, and that is what I now focus on. I've had a few duds, which I simply drop after a year, it's not a big deal to me, really. But in this industry, there is no need to limit yourself, try a few of each. An ABWer here once wrote that, if you want a raise, just build another site, and that is quite true.
    Following everyone else is a GREAT way to become average.

9. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread