Generating an index page without generating detail pages
    Hi,

Did I do a mistake ? I have to re-generate index pages after modifications to the template but I do not want at all to regenerate detail pages. It seem that the indexes URLs in the index pages are not generated when detail pages are no generated (and if they are regenerated, the site management tool (Golive, Dream...) want to upload one more time all the detail pages to synchronize files ). Is that true / false ?

Thanks

Yes, that is true. I've made that mistake before and uploaded 100+ index pages without links on them.

Actually, it would be nice if there was a WebMerge option to hyperlink or not to hyperlink (for that is the question!) the links in the index page when generating them without detail pages.

Hmmm.... I do this all the time. Are you saying when you build index pages only (by "unchecking" the "Create Detail pages in" check box) you don't get any links to detail pages (on your index pages)?

It works for me quite well. I simply un-check the box, and I have great index pages only - with links.

I am just wondering what circumstances are making this happen for you?

Fred

Are you saying when you build index pages only (by "unchecking" the "Create Detail pages in" check box) you don't get any links to detail pages (on your index pages)?
    Indeed. I can't see how this would work for you but not for Pierre and I.

I'm baffled. Many times after a build, I will go back and see an error generated becasue I goofed up one of the templates. If it is a big feed, I'll fix the template and only build either the index pages, or detail pages by un-checking one box or the other. Everything turns out fine.

I'll really have to think about this one.

Fred

Affiliate Manager
    Quote Originally Posted by buy_online
    I'm baffled. Many times after a build, I will go back and see an error generated becasue I goofed up one of the templates. If it is a big feed, I'll fix the template and only build either the index pages, or detail pages by un-checking one box or the other. Everything turns out fine.
    Let me know if you find a pattern to that. It can sometimes help to also turn on logging (see the Generation tab).

If there's something I can do to simplify it on this end I'd be happy to do so.
    Richard Gaskin
    Developer of WebMerge: Publish any data feed on any site
    http://www.fourthworld.com

Hi,

I have read the tuto. Ok. You can generate an index page without generating the detail pages in a particular case, when you write yourself the URLs in the template. This is made by putting something like this in the template :

[WM-Record]
    <a href="http://www.yoursite.net/betty_mills/[WM-Field: Product_ID nolink].htm" title="[WM-Field: Description nolink]">[WM-Field: Product_Name nolink]</a>
    [/WM-Record]

If you use a normal form of writing the template, assuming WM will do the job (generate only the index, not the detail pages), the index page is generated but it looks like if you use the "nolink" option. For example :

<!-- [WM-Record] -->
    <tr>
    <td>[WM-Field: Nom_1 raw target=&quot;_blank&quot;]</td>
    <td>[WM-Field: Nom_2 raw target=&quot;_blank&quot;]</td>
    <td>[WM-Field: Nom_3 nolink]</td>
    </tr>
    <!-- [/WM-Record] -->
    With the same template and asking WM to generate detail pages, fields are linked in the index.

8. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread